“Just what we were looking for!”
Review of Our Native Village

Our Native Village
Bengaluru, India
“Just what we were looking for!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We just returned from a trip to Our Native Village. We absolutely loved it. The rooms, food, service, people were wonderful. They were very accommodating too. We have 2 kids(ages 3 and 5) and they enjoyed their stay thoroughly. It is very relaxing out there. We really didn't feel like coming back to all the noise and pollution out here in Bangalore. They have bicycles for both kids and adults. We went on walks around the property. All the activities were also a lot of fun. We highly recommend this place for those who are looking to connect with nature and themselves!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
So glad that you and your kids had a good time with us Rashmi. I always believe we are successful with guests, when guests say they did not feel like going back home!This is especially true with kids. Kids are so honest, that we consistently get only the truth from them. So ehenever we have kids making a fuss and saying 'why cant we live here', it warms our heart and we know that we are doing something right! Please come back again and visit us. God bless.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Our family stayed at the resort in August of last year. Even though our stay was just for one night we had a great experience. The resort was comfortable and clean, the staff excellent and very helpful, the food tasty, and the games/activities a fun blast from the past.

I would recommend a stay at the resort with no hesitations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Arun K
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Arun. Thank you so much for your review. It was kind of you to post your review, in spite of the fact that you were here much before....we appreciate it. My staff still remember and talk about your daughter! I am so glad she got to do a lot of the Indian village activities that she will not be exposed to in New York. Do visit us again and regards to your family.
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We came back from Our Native Village a few hours back, today only and I couldn't wait to write a review on our visit. Went there along with my wife and 7 year old son for a one night stay. The place and experience was FANTASTIC.
To start of, we were greeted by Poornima at the welcome desk. We found her very warm and affectionate. She took all the needed care to make our short stay comfortable. We were helped by Manjunath in flying kites and village playful activities. His support made us do all those activities. While flying kite, I realised that I was actually competing with my 7 year old son, in how well we handle the kite. It was like I had become a 7 year old boy myself and fighting with my son for the kite....It indeed was like rediscovering my lost self.
All the games, be it gilli-dunda, cycle tyre racing, Catapult firing,....were very much enjoyable.
The pottery session in the evening, was enjoyed very much by my wife and son. We carried back home, two pots that they have made. They will act as a rememberance of the good time we had at Our Native Village.
At the dining area, we were greeted by Dinesh and Naveen, and they served us very well. Food was excellent. Today morning being Sankranti day, they had given a few special and extra things like boiled groundnuts, beans, sweet potato, sugarcane etc.... I am tempted to say that they all were done to perfection. It made me remind of the fact that the beauty or taste of anything lies in its Naturalness. I was hearing a name 'Prakash' every now and then, in the background of the dining area. I guess, he must have been the Master Chef. Somehow, before leaving forgot to compliment him. Please, let him know that he is a wonderful cook.
While leaving my son, was given a certificate that certifed him a Native Villager.
I would have loved to meet the owner and congratulate him for having made this place, where people like us can come and remind ourselves of the lost contact with Nature and the places from where we had come.
As a family, we would love to come again and spend time at Our Native Village..

Thank You for making our stay memorable.........Sanjeev Singh

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Sanjeev. Your review has touched all our hearts!. Not just because you complimented us, but because you made the effort to know the names of my staff and you have mentioned all of them...this is commendable, and shows what a good soul you are.
Reading you comment about how you became a 7 year old reminds me how we all need to ring out the child in us. We become so 'grown up' and serious, we loose that child in us, that creative element in us, that space that makes us smile and dance and sing in gay abandon. We all need to bring that back in our lives, to lighten the burden we carry as adults. We need to do it so that we are kinder and gentler as human beings, more tolerant to the wrong doings of our children. I am so happy you found that child in you in Our Native Village. This is what we mean when we say 'Welcome back' to our guests - you have been here before, but have forgotten... you have been a 'happy child' but have now forgotten. God bless you and your family.
Bangalore
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I had planned to spend my bday at this resort along with my wife...away from the madness of Bangalore, in a tranquil place...The journey from home to this place is quite straight forward, except that last 2 kms, where no tar road exists..And the mud road is full of boulders...can't go at more then 10/20 speed. When I reached the place, it looked a little barren and little too rustic then I had expected. Check in process was smooth..When I went inside the room, it was again a little bit of let down. Even though I knew that they do not provide any AC, didn't know that they also do not provide any TV..Even though it was January, inside the room it was quite hot, even with the fan running at full speed. The towels looked dirty...but their argument is that they do not use soap...So if you want to go, a better idea is to carry your own bathroom supplies and towels.
After spending couple of hours in the room, can down and had a look at the property. It just didn't feel welcoming. There is no place where you can sit and relax. I was looking for a hammock or a comfortable sit out, which is not there. The swimming pool looked extremely un-inviting...again the point is they want it to be a natural pond...rather then a swimming pool. There is hardly any activity to do if you are travelling alone.
The prices are atrociously expensive for the food items. We ordered some snacks and tea/coffee, which was pretty average in taste and costed almost 420 bucks. Finally we decided to go back home and rest, as we didn't like the room, didn't have any specific things to do in the evening there, and the food was expensive and didn't taste good. We realized that we have a better chance of having a good time, then staying back..My rate plan included breakfast, and since there were only 3 families checked in, they definitely were not going to have a buffet breakfast. Since we decided to go back and not stay for breakfast, we requested them to adjust the snacks for the breakfast which they swiftly rejected...Paid for the snacks, collected the bill and came back...deciding never to go back again...I have stayed in jungle lodges, dunes eco resort in Pondichery and other rustic places, with lesser size and lesser amenities...but this place just did not feel right.....

Room Tip: All rooms are same...There are no lifts..if you have problem climbing stairs, ask for rooms on groun...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Indian_traveller76
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Mr. 'Indian Traveller'. Thank you for taking the time off to do this detailed review.
We have reconciled to two kinds of guests - guest who love us, and guests like you who hate us. I will try to get used to guests who hate us, though they are very few (though it is very difficult) because we all put in an honest and sincere effort to ensure guests are happy. However, what I hate reading is lies, and I think mature adults should not lie to spite a place. Thankfully we have a huge following of loving, warm guests who keep our spirits alive.
We always tell guests about our amenities - or lack of them! We sent you an e mail saying we do not have TV's in the room, we have a pond style swimming pool, etc. In fact often potential guests ask me whether I am de-selling my resort when I list out what all we do not have - but we do this because we want to manage expectations of guests. We want to be honest and not lure them with false promises. We do this because, we understand that we are not a resort for all. Not all guests have finer sensibilities. Not all guests understand or have exposure to full-fledged 100% eco resorts like ours. You need to travel outside India also to understand these concepts, and not go to jungle lodges or dune resorts. Go see the genuine eco resorts and not the pretenders.
Next to specifics of your comments;
You checked in before lunch, went to you room, did not come down even for lunch. You spend the whole day in your room with your companion, come out in the evening, have a friendly chat with my staff, and on Trip Adviser you complain the room was hot! You were given our welcome card which had the 20 activities you could do at our resort - instead you spend the whole day in your room and then complain there were no activities! The towels we kept in your room were freshly laundered, crisp and white when we left them there. You did not ask anyone about the towels – while most of my staff are simple villagers, none of them are so stupid and ignorant to tell you we do not use soap to wash the towels - come on Mr. Indian Traveller, there is a limit to your exaggeration!. FYI, we do twice a week run to the Dr. White laundry in Bagalkunte. Perhaps you saw the towels as you checked out and realised they were dirty - yes they were completely soiled like the rest of the sheets in the room when you checked out - not when you checked in! You came down in the evening, obviously starving, and order a heap of snacks which comes to a measly sum of '420 bucks' and complain it is expensive! You (ab)use the room the whole day and come down in the evening and want a refund, to which we rightly said no, and then you get upset with us! Oh my God, what kind of a traveller are you my friend!
Like I said in the beginning, some folks like us and some don't, but I rarely have someone like you who lie through their teeth just to be spiteful - well we will not take lies meekly!
You see, we are a family resort. Thankfully we have a lot of families who come and enjoy our place and leave behind for us their good wishes, blessings and warm words of encouragement. We survive on these positive energies. I would love to welcome you to my resort with your family – wife and kids if you have any, and I will personally guarantee that you will have a grand time.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our Native Village..... is an idyllic setting..... in the midst of nature.... and the founders have been careful to fit into nature rather than usurp it with their presence.... that is the underlying sensibility that defines everything about this place.... if you want to open your mind to being conscious of your environment... ONV will help you do that. I spent a couple of days there on a couple of occasions. A chance to truly relax. The food is wholesome and one does not feel heavy and horrible after a meal there. The rooms are wonderful, the promotion of village artists touched me far more than having the walls adorned by some prize painting.... glad they value the things that should be valued :) And to have the room scented with sambrani in the evening was icing on my cake! Go visit!

Room Tip: Each time, I loved the room I got.... :)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
So happy to read your kind, warm words of encouragement Arathi - thank you. Not many guests are able to appreciate the finer aspects of our resort, as they want the standard stuff you get in standard resorts - paintings on the walls, mini fridge in the room, a large TV, etc....:-(( Today's travelers are more refined and want to go through experiences - new experiences. This is what we deliver, and I am so glad that enjoyed and appreciated all aspects of what we do. God bless you and your finer sensibilities!!
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Fantastic. Definitely looking forward to staying at Our Native Village again.
Loved the cozy rooms & the quietness of the place. The food was excellent too.

Would have been great to have Beer :)

The natural pool looks interesting! Next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Rohan. So glad you liked our resort. I just finished answering a review where they were disappointed with our location, and there you are appreciating it! I always tussle with the fact that we are not able to please all our guests all the time. This is what we want to do, but my friends from the hospitality business counsel me that it is not always possible to please every one all the time...sigh....too bad for us I guess. But so glad that you appreciated and enjoyed our place. On the beer - soon we hope to be able to quench you thirst ad parched throat!!
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We spent New Year's eve at Our Native Village. The rooms were very convinient & the staff friendly. There was plenty of place for the kids to play around. Since it was new years eve they had set up a dance floor. The DJ could have been better but we had a good time nevertheless. The food was great and they had even set up a bar-be-que. The one thing missing on the menu was Beer which we were told would be available. Overall I would recommend the place for any family for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: The first floor might be better if you want to sleep till late in the day.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Srikant. So happy that you had a good time with us for the New Years eve celebrations. Hope you enjoyed the Dollu Kunita dance and the final dance with the dancers around the fire! I must confess that 'DJ' kind of music is so against the very grain of our simple village sensibilities and value system. But we did it because of 'popular requests' from guests! I understand that absence of beer is a disappointment - we hope to correct that in the near future. Wish you and your family a Happy new year again and have a great 2014.