“A Gem”
Review of Our Native Village

Our Native Village
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I came to know "Our Native Village" for a sales conference which was organized by my Indian colleagues. The entire meeting turned out to be a very untypical event, we had such a wonderful time, thanks to the lovely place and the fantastic hosts.
From the first second I felt warmly welcome and home. Could not imagine that something special like this would exist in the vicinity of Bangalore.
The place is well maintained. Rooms are very clean, spacious, no carpets (thank you!!!), comfortable beds, cosy towels, natural soaps: basic and natural luxury. Due to the materials used for the construction of the building, the room climate is very well balanced. I could enjoy pure air, nature, peace, silence, deep and relaxing sleep. The food served in the restaurant is prepared in an open kitchen with fresh, local organic ingredients and very tasty vegetables. some of them are home grown just a few steps away from the stove. I tried and enjoyed the wine menu as well. Unfortunately my favorite Indian wine "Sula Sauvignon Blanc" was missing. But I had a very good guide who recommended nice and interesting alternatives. Hope I will have a chance to come back again soon with my family to see and to learn more about "Our Native Village". Thank you all for the extra-ordinary experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Very rarely do we have folks like you coming in for a corporate event and noticing the deep values of our place. I am so happy that your 'untypical event' turned out well and this is because it was in an 'untypical place'! You proved to us that we can cater to non Indians with our food and they can be happy about it. Lot so people tell us that they cannot believe that we are so close to Bangalore, and yet it feels so far away from the madding crowd. Do come back soon with your family....and I promise to have a Sula Sauvignon Blanc waiting for you ;-)

There are newer reviews for Our Native Village

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Mine was a last min plan to go to our native village for the weekend. I liked the information on the website and the travel time was very less.
It was a completely different kind of experience- The bullock cart drive , pottery making (we have proudly displayed in our house all the pots that we made),swimming in the natural pond, chasing the hens, petting the calves and the dogs . Even the air that we breathed felt so good .
And to top it all everyone was so friendly and warm. The person at the coffee shop brought me a second cup of coffee because he noticed some cream in my first cup which I failed to notice!
The food was great! And then the cultural event at night was really special. Ram mentioned that this is an experiment and we were a part of the experiment. And that is exactly how it felt - part of the family .
My only regret was that one night stay was too short. But of course since the distance is so less my family is looking forward to spending another holiday there . I feel so relaxed and recharged after the weekend .
Ram and Lalitha ma'm wishing you all the best ! Looking forward to see you guys soon :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Rani. I am so happy that you agreed to be part of our experiment! Yes Our Native Village is an experiment...an experiment in sustainability, environmental management and in simplicity. It is an experiment to see if kids and adults can survive a coupe of nights without energy depleting entertainment options like a television...it is an experiment to see if breathing fresh clean air with friendly smiling faces around you can enhance the human spirit or not...it is an experiment to see if we can have a lot of fun without complicated equipment (like computer games) and with some ordinary pieces of wood (gilli danda), or a string and some paper (kite flying) or our hands and an old cycle tyre (cycle tyre racing), it is an experiment.... So happy with your review and your insights!!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

found the place quite rustic with modern facilities. having a 7 month old baby i was paranoid. but the service provided to us was excellent. No TV, the bon fire, the greenery, the cultural events made it a very pleasant stay...o and not to forget the bullockcart drip....thx guys....

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Nirmala. So happy that you and your little one enjoyed our place. thank you for your perfect description of our place - Rustic but Modern!! This is exactly what we are. We are all under the mistaken notion that eco living means rustic and frugal. We are trying to prove that eco living can be rustic and modern with all the facilities folks need in the modern age. Glad you experienced this and happily!!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Our Native Village was such a surprise! A last minute plan to getaway for the weekend, led us to this great property just over an hour's drive away from Bangalore. The property has a very earthy feel, with the architecture complementing the concept. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The food was simple and had a homely touch to it. Special mention to the pure desi ghee served with all the meals, loved it. The staff were all friendly and readily helpful. Ram, who owns and runs the place, made us feel right at home and readily engaged in conversation about the property, farm and the concept. The resort also offered access to games like gilli-danda that brought back good childhood memories. The one thing I missed was not being able to get my morning coffee or tea in the room, but that gave enough reason to get out of bed quickly. Overall, a perfect place for a quiet, peaceful getaway from the din of the city.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
CB R, Manager at Our Native Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Vinay. Thank you so much for your review. I always feel honoured and flattered when folks like you choose our resort to celebrate special days in their life, like you did on your anniversary. I hope that we made your day special with some of the unexpected pleasant surprises we threw in for you. I am so glad you found value in getting up and getting out of bed as there is so much beauty in the morning air in our resort! I hope you folks have a wonderful year ahead and enjoy decades of a happily married life. God Bless you and your family.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

A decent outing ended being a disaster,when we realized we were robbed of money from our room . Its a nice place, with good food and service. We left our bags in the room, for a quick cycle ride, when we returned someone had entered the room on the pretext of smoking out the mosquito's and we were also short of some money...... Careful folks .

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Aiyappa & Nandita. I am so sorry that you went through this experience. I would feel violated if someone went through my stuff and took my money. My deep apologies for this. For better or for worse, we have taken some serious action after the incident.

While in the past we have had guests come and report stuff missing (twice until now), they have in both instances come back the next morning and told us that they found it - they had just misplaced it. Unfortunately you stayed with us just for the day, so there was no chance for you to search also.

But ranking us low on value, location and sleep quality was I thought unfair. We told you that coming all the way for just the day will get you tired as we are a distance away, but you ignored our recommendation and still wanted to come for the day - and yes the location is not suited for day visits as we told you!. We also told you that you will not see value in just coming for a day, as you will never experience the full concept of the resort, but here again you ignored our advice and came for the day. But lastly you scored us low on sleep quality!? You did not spend the night with us, so this was unfair.

But again, I think you were upset and decided to rank us low, and like I said earlier, I can understand. I truly hope you found your money somewhere in your bags after you got home. From our side, we have taken a strict action against the 2 house keeping staff who went to your rooms to fumigate your rooms with our traditional herbal fumigants. My sincere apologies for this experience. I hope we will get a chance to wipe this memory out and replace it with the warmth and joy you experienced in our resort, during the short time you spent with us.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Based on the reviews read on Trip Advisor, we made a weekend trip to Native Village. It was a very relaxing experience. The hospitality was excellent. Thanks to Ram and Lalitha !!! The food was great. The rooms has no TV which was another positive i would say. My son loved the bullock cart ride.
The approach road makes you feel as if it is a sea of open space with greenery at the end of either side. Truly you would feel if there is any such open space near bangalore.
Only dampner was rain due to which we could not enjoy outdoor activities.
Looking forward to explore the games in the next visit. A nice Village experience.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Vineet. Trip Adviser has benefited a lot of people who were able to objectively examine our place. The approach road is indeed magical isn't it!! These are the last remaining open grasslands of Bangalore. These are wintering grounds for migratory birds of prey. Along with our neighbours, we are working hard to preserve these grasslands....So glad you enjoyed the ride in and the facilities at the resort.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

It was an impromptu plan. My friend and I wanted a child friendly yet peaceful getaway not very far from Bangalore. And Our Native Village fitted the bill exactly.
Peaceful, serene, green, calm and child friendly. We had a fantastic and relaxing stay and the kids had lot of fun. We didn't want to come back. We loved the all-natural environment, bullock cart ride and the games.
Staff is warm, friendly and very helpful. Food was good.
Ram Kumar really took care of us. Thank you Ram! A very memorable stay indeed!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Shruti. I am so glad you folks decided and came in the last moment, in spite of the fact that 'we did not fit the bill perfectly'!. In fact we do not 'fit the bill' for most people from the outside, only because there is no place like ours - in the sense that no resort that will dare to have rooms without TV's and A/C's, will entertain guests with simple village games, and base its existence on simplicity!. We know the benefit of this and are confident that folks like you - not everyone - will realise it also. Do come back soon with your lovely son!