“A must visit for anyone looking to get away from the hustle of the city”
Review of Our Native Village

Our Native Village
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Very simply put- every positive thing that every other reviewer has mentioned is completely justified. Our Native Village is a simple but supremely comfortable place to stay in and the hospitality could put starred hotels to shame.

For those of you curious to know what 100% sustainability looks like, this is the perfect example. Everything is recycled and nothing goes to waste. The food is organic but tasty and the kitchen and service staff go out of their way to make sure you're comfortable.

Another fabulous thing that the owners Ramkumar and Lalitha are doing is to encourage local arts and artists. The evenings (atleast on weekends) are filled with cultural nuggets that you would never expect to experience or enjoy. My favourite was the Yakshagana show that was organized one evening- it was the perfect entertainment for my family.

There are enough and more activities organized to keep you occupied but there's also enough space on the property for you to just do your own thing and take long walks or curl up with a book.

All in all, its a great place to escape from our hectic lives and a great escape for people of all ages.

Thanks Ram, Lalitha and everyone else at Our Native Village.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Shilpa. I have sent this one sentence of yours - " the hospitality could put starred hotels to shame" to my friends in some of the star rated hotels :-)). So often get asked the question about our star rating. My answer to all of them is this...I have no clue if we are 3,4,or 5 star, but this much I promise you....I will show you a million stars every night and you will be treated like a 9 star guest. Thank you so much for appreciating what we are doing here. Our regards to your parents.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The place was indeed like a true village with all sorts of village amusement activities including bullock-cart ride, cyccle rides, fresh bath in an organic pool, a nice dance performance by the local tribe etc... All of us just loved it.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thanks for your review Soumya. While I am so glad that you all had a good time here, I noticed in your review that your sleep quality scores for us were not excellent. Please let me know if something from our side was not perfect for you? One thing we are proud is when consistently guests tell us how well they slept in the night, in spite of the fact that they are in a new place. My regards to your family.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I loved this place! I'm really glad I took the long weekend with my family and decided to stay for a couple of nights at ONV. My kids are really young (under 5 years) and I was looking for a high quality place for the weekend stay minus the pretense. ONV fit the bill.

From the simple pleasures of a nature walk in the morning to biking to teaching my kids how to use a catapult to an evening Yakshagana performance. It was wonderful. I really don't believe the kind of wonderful experience you get here can be the result of an elaborate corporate playbook, it's the personal touch of the owners all the way. You feel it all around.

I don't want to say more. Experience it for yourself. We will be going back too!

Dear Ram and Lalitha - Thank you for the hospitality!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much Anil for your crisp, succinct, yet in depth review. Delivering a high quality experience in a rustic-back to basics-eco place is a challenge. I am glad we met your expectations. Do come back soooooooon!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This place made me find life's luxury in simplest of things yet again. Flying kite, tyre race, milking the cow, cycling were very rewarding experience. Not wanting to go to a typical resort, I'm glad we chose this place. Kudos to the owners, it takes more than just investment to build such a place.
Staying here brought back some priceless memories.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

It takes a lot of love, commitment and deep passion not just to build a place like this, but also to maintain it - for this we are always grateful that we have a great team to help us bring alive the experience. This is what results in priceless memories I guess :). Thank you for your visit and review.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Clean, green and a great view from every spot. I have been to real villages, and what this place reminded me of were the the best things from those visits. At first it seems really simple, and then it starts to grow on you as you realize this is what you left the city for - the breathing space, the clean air, unbroken greenery, the restful feeling.
The food is real food, not restaurant-like, and it's what your grandma would feed you perhaps - fresh ghee, home grown vegetables, cooked with care. The friendliness is real, not just the staff and the owners - I had a great time chatting with other guests from various parts - team members from Dell, a few families, little tots who did magic tricks for me :), and we ended up having an impromptu musical evening with guests who sang, danced and played guitars. Ramkumar and Lalitha, the owners, were around and joined in as well.
Top of my two day weekend visit were the colorful Yakshagana performance, which I now want to see more of, and seeing how all the guests seemed to be enjoying themselves. That is perhaps the personality of this resort - a unique experience, and subtle but long-lasting in its charms. I took a lot of photographs and videos, trying to capture the feel of this place, which should be up soon.
Definitely its what a village feels like .. Rooted, green and soothing, minus all unnecessary baggage.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your response Aparna. You described us right....''rooted, green and soothing, minus all unnecessary baggage.'' We truly wanted to keep it all simple and without any baggage. And for your assessment, we seem to have succeeded. Am glad you had a good time, and were able to appreciate our simplicity!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

One word for this - simplicity. You'll see it everywhere - the resort, the rooms, the food, the owners, etc. But mind you, simplicity doesn't mean backward - it's in fact a refreshing change.
What strikes me about this resort is the friendliness and hospitality of the owners. You can always see them around mingling with the guests. I was initially a little skeptical about the lack of air-con in their stylish, large, chic rooms with lovely paintings rooms, but I ended up sleeping without the fans! Construction, material used and of course in my case the weather all helped :)

The activities are so different - from milking cows to nature walks and folk performances, they've got it covered.

If you're really done with the monotony of city life, I'd recommend ONV any day. Just take off to chill out. To Ram and Lallitha, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
CB R, Owner at Our Native Village, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

I am so glad that your skepticism was overcome so quickly! We all need to break the monotony of our every day lives and stresses that accompany it. In the early days, people knew how to do this within the simplicity of their village lives. We are trying to replicate this simplicity at Our Native Village. Thank you for your encouragements and 'Cheers'...it certainly put a smile on our lives!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

One short hour from Bangalore, one overnight stay - and you come home feeling as though you had been away for a week, refreshed and ready for the city again. If you want a break where you can have new experiences, learn new skills, make new friends, eat tasty food and sleep in blissful comfort and total peace in green surroundings - Our Native Village is it. Ramkumar the wonderful host calls it an "ongoing experiment" in self-sufficiency and eco-sustainability, so don't expect 5 star luxury, but if you would like to try and milk a cow, go on a nature walk at dawn with an expert on birds and insects, learn to string floral garlands, visit an ayurvedic physician specialising in yoga and physical rehabilitation, be present as a local dance troupe put on their make-up and costumes for two hours before a performance in the little amphitheatre, attend a cabbadi match from the languour of a charpoy whilst sipping ginger tea...oh, and so many things besides... don't deny yourself! You can also tour the solar power and biogas installations, the farm (by bike if you wish), admire the reedbeds which filter the grey waters for recycling, and even try paan after your meal. It's all-inclusive and all-encompassing. Three cheers for Our Native Village!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BrendaJF

Thank you Brenda for your kind words of encouragement for us! Yes, as much as Our Native Village is an ongoing experiment in sustainability, it is also an an experiment on reactions from guests to the concept of going back to simplicity and rural life. It is an experiment on how much guests want 'standard luxury' as opposed to enriching experiences of simplicity. So time will tell the story as it is meant to be I guess. So happy that you enjoyed our stay and hospitality.