“Self discovery”

Shreyas Yoga Retreat
Abuja, Nigeria
“Self discovery”
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

I was at Shreyas Retreat for 2 weeks from 1 - 15 April, 2014. I had a wonderful time. All my expectations were met.

I came on a 2 weeks yoga and meditation package. My main objective was to build a good foundation of yoga and meditation practice.

As a novice in yoga and meditation, I was initially very apprehensive about what I am going to meet and whether I will be able to cope. But the yoga teachers were able to put me at ease with the way they handled my classes. I had 8 private yoga lessons in addition to the twice daily group lessons. By the end of my stay, I was surprised that I was able to do many yoga poses comfortably.

The meditation was equally good. Here I must single out Bala for his dedication and patience in proffering explanations on my various enquiries about meditation. I had lessons in sound meditation, trataka meditation, chakra meditation, yoganidra and pranayama.

Shreyas is not only yoga and meditation. I have emphasized them because it was the main reason I went to the resort.

In general, the staff at Shreyas are very courteous and helpful. If you have any problem just approach any staff available and they will take it up on your behalf. It is as easy as that.

The food is vegetarian and very good. It is healthy and tasty; served in a good setting. Though I am not a vegetarian , I never missed meat throughout my stay at Shreyas. I had 2 cooking lessons which proved very useful to me.

I stayed at the Garden Tented Cottage and I love it. It is spacious and private. The open bath room makes showering an interesting experience. I never encountered any lizard or frog in my bathroom. I had no problem with mosquito bites as the staff made sure that the mosquitoes were taken care of. In general the rooms are very neat and are cleaned every day. The trains keep passing but I had no problem sleeping because of trains.

I can't forget the massages. They are simply wonderful. I had 6 massages in my package but I had to book for more. And there is a wide variety to choose from. Really your experience at Shreyas will not be complete without a massage.

For anybody thinking of going to Shreyas, I will say go for it and experience it yourself. And do not forget to do the community service, it was a life changing experience for me.

Shreyas has as their motto "A journey of self discovery". For me I think that is what happened to me at Shreyas. That is why I will be there again next year.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Terna U

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I booked myself in for four nights/three days of yoga, meditation and a series of massages and one on one sessions. It was a fantastic way to unwind and reset. The yoga teachers are challenging but thoughtful and attentive to individuals strengths and weaknesses, offering alternatives and variations throughout the sessions. The place itself is beautiful. The staff are super friendly, the service impeccable, the vegetarian food all sourced from their own organic gardens and fantastic. They even made me a birthday cake :) I will definitely be back

Room Tip: I had a tent room and loved it. I've read a few people comment on the trains, but honestly the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Berlin, Maryland
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My wife and I shared one of the most enriching weeks of our lives at Shreyas. Not only do they have their fundamentals down pat (the grounds, facilities and food were all exquisite), the programs offered are customized for each guest, allowing for a personalized experience to meet your needs. In addition to deepening our yoga practices on many levels and enjoying individual meditation, pranayama, and yoga instruction, the group yoga classes were excellent. We were able to push ourselves with as many challenging classes as we wanted, as well as enjoy some restorative classes when we felt the need to take it easier.

Of course no resort can be this good without great staff. From top to bottom, the staff at Shreyas was the best we've experienced anywhere. Not only are they thoroughly cheerful in providing service, they constantly anticipate their guests' needs. Their greetings of "namaste" and smiles enhanced the peaceful energy of our stay.

We chose to stay in one of the "tents" away from the dining/pool area and were very happy with our choice. The tent more like a casita with a canvas roof, charming front porch and private small open air courtyard off of a spacious bathroom. An amazing variety of birds made their homes all around us and were especially active at dawn and dusk.

Yes, we could hear trains as well as occasional traffic from outside the grounds, but were not bothered by the noise. Our feeling was the it added to the ambiance of being in India and served as a reminder that the world still existed outside of this blissful oasis.

Last but not least the food was delicious, plentiful and beautifully presented. They used a variety of settings for our dining (dining room, poolside, dining tent, etc.) and made each meal memorable. While they only serve vegetarian fare, the dishes offered were savory and satisfying.

We hope we can return to Shreyas again soon. It's a long way from our home but certainly worth the trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the tents farthest away from the dining/pool area and enjoyed the privacy and na...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed February 19, 2014

When my husband was going on a business trip, I decided to take a trip on my own. A yoga retreat in India was what I was looking for, and after a through internet search, I decided on Shreyas. I have no regrets on that choice. I booked the 7 night yoga retreat which included 2 group yoga sessions and sound meditation each day, and 5 private yoga sessions, 3 massages, 3 meditation/relaxation sessions, 2 breathing sessions, a cooking class, and community service to prepare food and provide lunch to a local orphanage. There are other packages to choose from as well - wellness, ayurveda, etc. I was very happy with my choice. The staff will also help you customize based on your interests, so if something does not appeal to you, you can choose to remove it. You can also add in (for an additional fee). Or, you can also just go to relax and not choose a package. Days start early with a 6:30 am yoga class. This rattled me at first as I'm not a morning person, but I actually had no trouble following the schedule. The day is busy, and I was in bed by 10 pm, which helped to get an early start. Things that resonate most about this stay: 1) phenomenal yoga instructors (thank you Mani, Rani, Rita, Dr. Ruchana); 2) the excellence in meal preparation and service (thank you Santosh, Arun, Chef Rajan, and the rest of the dining staff); 3) the beautiful grounds and connection to nature; 4) the superb customer service (additional thanks to Rucha, Anu Das, Niri, Bala, and the housekeeping staff); and 5) an unexpected benefit of meeting and getting to know guests from all over the world. During my stay, I met people from Australia, Bahrain, Canada, England, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and Taiwan (and I'm from the U.S.A.) Things to know: 1) There is no formal reception. If you need something, ask any of the staff. They will assure your need is met. This was a bit anxiety provoking the first couple days, but once it's understood by you, it works; 2) there is an open-concept bathroom in the garden tent cottages, which I LOVED. Expect some visitors though (ants, bees, frogs, lizards-I had them all, and we managed harmoniously together), but you need to be okay with that. 3) the train-it's there, it whistles. Didn't bother me and I slept through it every night, but if you are easily distracted by noise, it may interrupt your sleep. 4) They do allow children, but I would not recommend this as a place to bring them. It would significantly change the atmosphere for those seeking quiet and solitude. Especially if you are traveling alone, as many of us were when I was there, Shreyas is an ideal place for some yoga, introspection, self-reflection, delicious vegetarian meals, and some socializing with other guests from around the world. I do hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the garden tent cottages which offer privacy, and have the open-concept bathrooms...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank atsrinivasan
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Shreyas was recommended by a friend when she was changing job and wanted to get away for a re-set, so I did the same. It is wonderful in so many ways.

My flight arrived at mid-night and it was almost 3 am when I arrived at the resort, but the staff was lined up by the gate greeting me and gave me a quick tour of the cozy place. All the staff are responsible, responsive, and very kind. Every staff member, from the chef to the gardeners, all come across warm, genuine and even tempers, which makes the guests feel comfortable immediately - it might have something to do with the fact that everyone in the area practice yoga religiously as their daily ritual.

The food was all home-grown (in their garden), organic, and vegan. I was amazed by the variety of the Indian vegan food selection, and the taste was impeccable. Every meal was served in a formal dining setting, either in the tent, by the bon fire, or in the dining room. With thoughtfully designed menu and gorgeous table settings. The menu for every meal is printed out on the table, making every meal a special event. The guests gather at meal times and share their experience of the day, or in general. I met quite a few interesting people there. I would highly recommend their own recipe book called "the soul food", it was a bit pricy (by local standard) but was worth every penny, I have tried more than half of the recipe from the book, with great success.

The resort and cozy and comfortable, with a pool and garden where you can go running. However, if you get bored staying at the resort, you can also opt for a day out at Mysore or Bangalore to experience the culture and the crowd, which we found well worthwhlie.

One must try is their laundry service before you leave. The laundry was carefully folded with tissue paper and wrapped perfectly for packing. A fellow guest even gave them the whole suitcase to clean,and it came back like brand new.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay, I still quote some of the stories I was told at the morning meditation classes.

Room Tip: I find the pool side rooms quite convenient, close to the library, dining rooms, and the steam rooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Eva Y
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed for three days in January. First the good:

The food
Outstanding. Each meal was truly delicious, meticulously planned and painstakingly prepared. We only stayed three days but I can say with certainty that after three days of the food here and copious amounts of coconut water, my insides have never been in better working order.

Treatments and classes
Faultless. We took part in yoga, meditation and pranayama. All instructors were professional, extremely knowledgable and a pleasure to spend time with. The Ayurvedic treatments and Balinese massage were superb and amongst the best I've had (and I'm well travelled and over indulged when it comes to quality treatments).

Staff and service
Superb. All staff are warm, friendly, attentive and couldn't be more helpful. They are joyful people.

Rooms
A little disappointing. We chose a tent and this was a mistake. On arrival in our room, we were immediately shown our earplugs and told "there are trains". There really are trains and quite close by. Indian trains don't whoosh quietly by, they don't chug softly by, they roar by, sounding their horns frequently. I know there is probably a good reason for this, animals on the track etc or perhaps Indian train drivers are like Indian car drivers and just can't stop honking their horns. Either way, it's not peaceful and it is intermittent throughout the day and night. Until they put a solid roof and double glazing in these huts opt for the poolside rooms. A lovely couple we met staying in a pool room assured us that with ear plugs, herbal sleeping pills and windows firmly shut they didn't hear a thing!

The tented rooms seem to have been designed for two singles rather than doubles. The single headboards are attached to the wall with the window in between so when the room is made up as a double the beds are put together under the window and you have to try to get comfortable sitting up against it. The rooms could do with some cheering up - they are a bit drab and the bathroom was quite tired and in need of a lift. From what I can gather by retreat standards these rooms are luxurious but by hotel standards they are not so luxurious.

On the subject of noise, there is also a fun park not so far away. It does become a little tiresome listening to the instrumental version of hotel California or Gangham Style with hundreds of screaming children every afternoon. Perhaps this is only certain times of year.

I'm sure if you are not a retreat novice like us you can tune these worldly sounds out but for us it just wasn't peaceful enough. It's such a shame as Shreyas does everything else so well.

Room Tip: Try pool rooms to avoid noise
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Whatdidthefoxsay
Dubai
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I had an absolutely wonderful time at Shreyas and cannot wait to go back. I stayed in a pool side cottage and found it to be absolutely perfect for my needs; well appointed, huge bed, lovely bed linen, large bathroom and loads of storage. I did a week long wellness programme and when they say programme, don't be mistaken, this is very timetable driven, so you will need a watch to keep to time! An average day looked like this: 6.00am, wake up call, 6.30am, group yoga, 8,30am breakfast, 9.30am group meditation, 10.00am private yoga, 11.00am massage, 12.30pm lunch, 2.00pm free time, 3.00pm cookery class, 4.30pm group yoga, 7.30pm dinner, 8.30pm reading and by 9.00pm I was exhausted and was fast asleep! There are many programmes to pick, or you don't have a programme and can lie by the lovely pool all day, there is flexibility here, and that's the beauty. The food was amazing; this was the first time I have ever been vegetarian for a week, and I loved it. Since I got home, I have stuck with it, and feel healthier and have more energy. The menu can be catered to the needs of each guest - when I was there, some people were on detoxes, others on gluten free, others on no dairy etc. it really is up to you. When I say menu, you have two choices, take it or leave it. You eat what is being made in the kitchen, there is no choice, but trust me, you will devour everything, the food really is wonderful (it's Relais a Chateau). Note that meal times are group affairs so everyone eats together. The retreat has its own organic vegetable garden and all the guests have the opportunity to help work in the garden, help prepare food and take lunch to the orphanage, which Shreyas supports. I did this and it was a truly humbling experience to spend time with the children. The best thing about Shreyas is the staff: I have never felt so loved by people I don't know as I did at Shreyas. The yoga teachers were amazing, the ladies in the massage huts, the dining room staff, all of them are beautiful people who go out of their way to make you at ease. Bala, the meditation instructor, is a truly remarkable spirit; he can express in a few words what you might have to read a few books to get. I loved being in his company and feeling his beautiful energy. I was a first time yoga student, and took to it very well, as the instructors are very generous with their time and support. By the end of the week, it felt like the most natural thing in the world to do 2.5 hours + of yoga every day. My 4 star rating is based on the fact that I think the spa needs a massive overhaul. While the ladies doing the treatment are very good indeed, the actual spa itself really isn't a spa as I know it, more of a hut with a massage bed. I think the retreat should consider investing in this to really bring it up to 5* luxury standard. Also, I travelled light and so didn't bring some amenities for the bathroom that I would have expected as standard in a Relais & Chateau property - ie cotton buds, cotton pads (for eye make up removal) and body lotion. I realize that these are very first world issues, but Shreyas charges 5* prices and could very nearly be a 5* experience. In summary: wonderful and I would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo