“Best business hotel in Bangalore?”
Review of The Chancery

The Chancery
Ranked #116 of 695 Hotels in Bengaluru
Reviewed December 19, 2007

After staying at several other hotels in Bangalore, I settled on staying at the Chancery several years ago. It keeps getting better and my last stay prompted me to compliment them on their hospitality.

I was late when I arrived and the hotel’s driver called in before I arrived. The clerk met me in the lobby with the papers ready for me to sign to check in. I had told the driver I wanted a beer when I got in and he relayed that to the assistant manager. He asked me how much beer I wanted and said it would be brought to my room.

The hotel now has free Wi-Fi that is hassle free. As a business traveller, the last thing I want to do when I get to a hotel is mess around with the arcane methods hotels have of extracting money from me to get my e-mails. Most hotels make this a painful experience and some make it seem like you need to be punished! But as the assistant manager stated, the Wi-Fi worked perfectly and was fast. I remained active for my entire stay.

The gym is good and has recently been expanded to include a Jacuzzi (which I didn’t use). The staffs there are friendly and helpful.

Most rates at the hotel include breakfast and dinner. The food is always good and if you have had enough of Indian food they even serve bacon and eggs for breakfast.

The hotel is close to MG road, so it’s easy to walk there for small provisions or for the many shops selling Indian crafts and souvenirs. If you have more energy, you can walk to Commercial Street where there are more stores. If you don’t want to walk that far the 3-wheeler rickshaws will take you there for a few Rupees.

In all, it’s hard to fault this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank 20_times_ATW

Reviewed November 18, 2007

Fortunately, I was travelling on business, so did not pay the bill myself - if I had done, I would be looking for a refund.

The place smelled of insecticide - liberally sprayed around the hotel on a nightly basis. Also, bed linen, pillows and carpets were all damp to the touch. There was mould growing on the lining of the curtains, so it clearly was not just a temporary matter. Perhaps the 75 per cent humidity and 30 degree Centrigrade temperature had something to do with it - but I do know that I wouldn't want to spend more than a night or two there for fear of getting pneumonia!

Service and food were okay - and so they should be for the price.

I think there must be better hotels in Bangalore. I'll try to find one next time.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank KeepSmilingUK
Reviewed August 13, 2007

The daily bug bomb/spraying can’t be good for long term health. I can only imagine the scene had the hotel not had an active extermination program.

Don’t waste your money scheduling the “conference” facility – It’s a joke. The guy hired to sit there for three days to monitor the audio system couldn’t even do that correctly. In fairness to the rest of the staff they did appear to be making an honest attempt at their jobs.

Is the security guard in the hall on every level really there for your security, or is he really working for the Indian Intelligence? Something to think about as your every move is monitored.

I will never go to India again! It is the most disgusting, inhospitable country I have ever been to.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank BobNOVA
Reviewed February 15, 2007

Without a doubt, the worse hotel and customer service that we have stayed in
ever. This place was filthy. The staff was rude. AND they tried to change the
pre-arranged rate at check-out.

Our room was disgusting and by that I mean that the sheets were dirty. This
hotel ruined our stay in Bangalore. Do not put yourself through the frustration
that we went through with this horrible hotel. Stay somewhere else.

Anyone that wrote a positive review of this hotel was either delusional OR works
for this crappy place.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank kevnsuj
Reviewed February 9, 2007

Not a bad hotel, but certainly there has to be better in Bangalore (in fairness its much better than the Capitol)

Lots of eager staff that never seem to actually do anything, you have to ask 3 or 4 different staff members to get anything you want.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank donkey_shirt
Reviewed December 19, 2006

I never stayed here (luckily) but have experienced their customer service first hand.

Was travelling to Bangalore on business (been there many times and have to say all hotels up to now have been fine). But this hotel is terrible.

Our corporate travel agent booked this hotel, when it should have been the Chancery Pavillion (I believe they are sister hotels). You can find my review of the CP hotel if you search for it. Anyway, my booking here was changed over 2 weeks before I travelled but this did not stop the hotel charging me one nights room charge for no show. This charge was added to my card on the 7-November. As of day 20-December I still do not have a refund even after numerious calls by my travel agent to the hotel.

In general with other hotels in India, when will they learn that good customer service is not 5 people asking you if you are having a good day over breakfast (normally like most people I want to be left alone). Good service is a correct problems very very quickly with the minimum of fuss. Such as charging me for a room I never stayed in and then even a month later not have the decency to refund my money I can only rate this hotel as terrible.

So in summary - if you cancel you booking at this hotel check your credit card afterwards.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve2209
Reviewed November 9, 2006

We stayed at this hotel in April 2004, so things might have changed. First of all, we greatly enjoyed the food. The breakfast was delicious and we ordered room service everynight because we were pooped from sight-seeing.

I think it is a very decent three star hotel. Our room was comfortable and well kept. Pending further reviews, if we were to go to Bangalore again, we would stay there. In fact, we recommended the place to my aunt when she visited earlier this year.

We had no complaints, and I am quite a fussy person. We still remember the yummy food:)

• Stayed: April 2004, traveled as a couple