“The Market - Great place but left with a bad taste....”

The Ritz-Carlton, Bangalore
Ranked #8 of 662 Hotels in Bengaluru
Bengaluru, India
“The Market - Great place but left with a bad taste....”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Just back from dinner at The Market at the Ritz - the first Ritz Carlton in India. Although parts of the hotel seem like they are work-in-progress the Market was a lovely surprise. The dinner buffet was extensive - most of which can be customised on request. We arrived and a gentleman - obviously one of the mgmt staff - asked how many we were and said he'd look into table availability and never came back. Before he left I mentioned discreetly to him that we were here to celebrate my husband's birthday.

Well we went through the entire dinner with super junior wait staff serving us and looking after our every need but the gentleman in question - was busy hovering around a foreigner couple's table and when he did come over once to ask how everything was he didn't wish my husband and we thought maybe he was keeping the surprise for the end, and didn't want to spoil it. Well no surprise ever came and we left without as much as a goodbye from him. I found out later that he is the manager of the restaurant - he received us, was told of the special occasion but was obviously busier with more "lucrative customers" to pay attention to a mere bday celebration. The junior wait staff could have been told that it was a bday but the lady who looked after us profusely apologised saying she wished she had known and and was so sorry that we had to leave without a celebration. Definitely expected more from a senior staff member at a Ritz Carlton - Not going back there again for sure!! Ruined what could have been a perfectly good evening....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank permaj
ShaneKrige, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Bangalore, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Permaj,

Thank you for bringing up your recent experience to my attention. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We will contact you to understand and improve on this so that it is not repeated again. Thanking you once again and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best regards,
Shane Krige

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This hotel officially opened 3 weeks ago. You can tell the employees are still getting into the groove but they are doing a wonderful job.

From the moment you arrive and are warmly greeted by the front door staff (who remember your name when you return) to the employee that walks you to your room, to the iPads in the room where you can check out the hotel, order breakfast, and get a wakeup call, to the wonderfully appointed bathrooms, this hotel did not disappoint. I travel alot and stay in a lot of nice hotels. This one is very nice.

The bed linens may be the best I have ever had. So soft, so comfortable. Try for yourself! The towels are without doubt the best quality of any hotel I have ever stayed.

The sushi bar was excellent and fairly priced.

The location is excellent in the heart of the city yet set back from the road as I did not hear any outside noise.

I look forward to my return!

Room Tip: 16 is the top floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank lucycan
ShaneKrige, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Bangalore, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Lucycan,

Thank you very much for sharing your kind comments with us. We are pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay and were impressed by the service of our ladies and gentlemen. I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Thanking you once again!

Best regards,
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Been to this Hotel on 11th November 2013 with my family for dinner buffet. The experience have been fantastic!!! :)
Pros : This property is in the middle of central business district of bangalore. I have passed trough this road atleast a thousand times but have never noticed construction activity, but read the news about opening the first Ritz Carlton in Bangalore and decided a dekho. I am not sure how did they carve this space out of the most busy road of Bangalore, yet very serene and quiet. Winter is setting in Bangalore and the setting was fantastic. The security check was quick and very pleasant unlike other places, wallet parking was quick as well and there was employee right on the entrance to guide you. Welcome!!!
Since we decided to have our dinner from the Market place in 3rd level, we straight away went to it. The place is very pleasant, very luxurious and top notch. We were taken to a tour of the buffet spread and though it wasn't a Sunday brunch, cant complain of the spread. There was someone always to take care of you.
The food quality was truly fantastic and I should say, similar in quality to the citrus in Leela palace Bangalore.

Cons: I felt the hotel under staffed, may be I am wrong. And even I sometime felt a little uncomfortable on the over attention we were receiving. No, I am not complaining here!!! :)

I should say the pleasantness of the staff, especially one Ms.Aruna who introduced as the Asst. Manager and the chap who took care of my table, both went beyond their call of duty to make us comfortable.

I believe other hotel have real competition now!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tobin T
vibhamittal, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Bangalore, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are delighted to know that you liked the hotel and enjoyed the dinner. Your comments for our ladies and gentlemen are very encouraging.

Again thank you for taking time to write about your experience. We highly appreciate it.

Look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton, Bangalore.

Regards,