“Taj - What?”

Vivanta by Taj - M G Road, Bangalore
Ranked #38 of 670 Hotels in Bengaluru
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I am surprised to see such disparities amongst the Taj properties. This one barely deserves to be called a Taj. Purely for the business travelers who prefer location over quality - this hotel is a strictly 3 star hotel even if it tries hard to project itself as a Taj. The room is very basic and very small. Amenities are strictly okay. The staff at times is not very efficient even if they try hard to be useful. Breakfast buffet is sufficient but again the floor lacks space. It just seems a bit congested compared to its other peers. Food was okay - nothing special. 3 star at best.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Vinod V, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - M G Road, Bangalore, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to review us on Trip Advisor and for posting your comment.

We have taken a note of your feedback regarding your experience during your last visit to the hotel and shared it with our team for necessary improvements

Look forward to welcoming you back to Vivanta by Taj M G Road, Bangalore again on your next visit to Bangalore

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Its been a few weeks since I stayed there. Overall it was a fun stay. It was a hectic work week filled with lots of partying at the end. I will talk about good and bad chronologically because it will make it easy for me to remember.

Prior to check-in I was reading some reviews on TripAdvisor and tried to block a specific room. Called the hotel, the whole experience was horrid, people were transferring me around and not listening. And after wasting a good chunk of my time I couldn't block a room. So thats a big minus there because it worried me even before I set foot in the hotel.

The check-in was great, due to some pricing issues my stay was booked in day chunks instead of a date range, this ultimately caused confusion at checkout as-well. I got an email weeks later from the hotel mentioning that they forgot to charge me for 2 days stay, this made me connect them with my business traveldesk and verify. Again a big minus because more bills/receipts to me to look over.

I got a good room overlooking the lake on the 9th floor. The floor also had a lovely business centre where I could have my meetings. So if you are traveling on business I would definitely recommend the 9th Floor. I am not sure if other floors have it. Also the rooms on the 1st floor have balconies which open up into a garden, also quite nice if you are traveling with family/kids I would recommend that, since the kids can play and the gym is also right next door.

The gym is great, the trainer is an interesting fellow. One of the more well equipped and clean hotel gyms I've been to in recent times. Definitely a plus for me because I really hate losing my routine when traveling.

The room was nice, I was really surprised and happy that they had a home theatre in the room. My only gripe was that it didn't have a sub-woofer, that would have made it really amazing for me. I feel hotels should really keep optional apple tv's on call for people like me who travel with their Macbooks, iPad's etc so they can easily connect. The AV system came in really useful when I had to work out of the room (there was a local holiday in Bangalore).The chair they have is really nice and ergonomic and I could spend long amounts of time on it without fatigue. The only bad things were the expensive wifi and work desk. Otherwise for a business traveller the room offers a great mix of comfort and utility.

The bedding was great and I got great sleep, the room had a fantastic balcony. The hotel food was top notch and the filter coffee every morning really kickstarted my day. The staff was brilliant and I was left alone when I wanted to be and had great conversations with few people who work there when I was at leisure. I personally felt the rooms were a little expensive for what they offer and the bathroom was mediocre (I like the westin ones more). Also can hotels please stop using those generic horrid bath slippers, I hate how they feel. The housekeeping and room upkeep was great, I know this because I use a lot of the small face towels and the housekeeping started keeping more of those at cleaning.

There is a mall right next door which is really great if you decide that you forgot to pack something. Trinity metro station was also closeby. (I decided to start using the metro instead of calling a cab.) Also for some strange reason the hotel is not marked on Google Maps.

Checkout was great and superfast (I am sure thats why that error happened, but I am very happy with how efficient they were in the morning with so many people checking out. I might be back, but really want to check out the bangalore westin before I decide to make Taj my go-to hotel when in Bangalore.

Room Tip: Read the review.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I have stayed at most Taj properties across india and this one has by far the best Breakfast. However the rooms look old and worn out. It is one of the old properties and needs renovation. Still the staff was amazing and the overall service was as usual taj standard. Certainly recommended.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Excellent hotel in rather squalled surroundings. The hotel and staff are making an excellent effort to promote tourism but just beyond the boundary is dilapidated Bangalore with its broken pavements, no pedestrian crossings, dangerous open man holes and unmanned busy traffic intersections. Litter, vermin in abundance and no sign of any effort made by the authorities or department of tourism to remedy the matter- highly ironical, because this supposed to be the city with highly skilled residents in many fields including medical and Information Technology.

No decent toilet facilities in the CBD and putrid bathroom facilities in the mosques that i visited.

All stakeholders should put pressure on the relevant departments to remedy the matter.

Room Tip: select room away from noisy streets
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2014

One of the best and most hospitable staff one can come accross is at Taj. The food is good, but the way the staff is able to relate to you is outstanding. I would say perfect for family vacation at good price. True value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Vinod V, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - M G Road, Bangalore, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to review us on Trip Advisor and for posting your compliments.

I am glad to note that you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us and found our services measuring up to your satisfaction.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

It a very nice business hotel located in the heart of the city. Stay was comfortable with excellent service, good food. Rooms are spacious, clean and well maintained... Breakfast spread is good, however, the time to prepare jain food is way too much. Must stay place in case you have a budget of 10k

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2014

good hotel, gr8t comfort & hospitality in mid of business and shopping destination. must stay. dinner at pool side is awesome experience. fitness center and pool - gr8t place to relax.

would like to stay there again.