“Out of their way”

The Oberoi, Bengaluru
Ranked #2 of 695 Hotels in Bengaluru
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I can not fault the staff at the Oberoi, they make a real effort to make your stay special and are very helpful. The rooms are clean and serviced well, the pool and gym are more than adequate and the breakfast service at the Restaurant is fantastic. The grounds are well maintained and, whilst very well positioned near the heart of Bangalore, are quiet and feel secluded.

Room Tip: All rooms face into the property so for more privacy select a room on the outer edges of the wings...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Oberoi_Bangalore, General Manager at The Oberoi, Bengaluru, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your experience at The Oberoi, Bangalore on Trip Advisor and for appreciating the rooms, pool and our gymnasium facilities.

The team and I are delighted to read your positive review of our product, food and facilities.

Thank you once again for your recognition and we hope to have the pleasure of your continued visits to our hotel.

huvida.marshall@oberoihotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,079)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Oberoi Bangalore... is incredible.

Compared to the Leela (where I have had brunch but not stayed), the Oberoi is in more central location close to shopping and business, it feels a bit quieter, and the staff feel a bit warmer.

It can be time-consuming and an energy drain to choose a hotel from the hundreds on TripAdvisor... save your time and just book with the Oberoi.

A few reasons you might consider staying here...

1. THE STAFF here are highly intelligent and thorough. In a country where miscommunications and misunderstandings can be common, it's an enormous relief to arrive at the Oberoi where even disjointed ramblings of a tired traveler are understood and attended to gracefully and instantaneously.

**Example 1: They assisted me with a problem related to me losing my entire wallet elsewhere two weeks prior. Even though I did not have a valid credit card (because all had been lost and canceled), the hotel graciously accepted my reservation, and allowed me to pay in a combination of INR and USD, cash. Of course every business loves a cash transaction, but still this permission takes some trust and discretion.

**Example 2: I left a small amount of USD in the safe, and the Oberoi staff drove the money to the Bangalore airport for me, with minutes to spare. Truly exceptional, and a level of attentiveness and care that made me really feel like a guest, not just a 'customer.'

2. THE SUITES are large, beautiful, and thoughtfully appointed, with responsive and easily personalizable heating and cooling. The top-grade toiletries use organic ingredients and smell and look wonderful. It feels like they sound-proofed the bedroom, which is an immense relief in the middle of the city.

**Tip: If you have the option of selecting special pillows... do it! Multiple types of memory foam, buckwheat fill, and other options that are both luxurious and homey.

**Even if you don't purchase a package that includes wifi, the Oberoi's location gets great 3G service.

3. THE BREAKFAST was diverse and fantastic. It includes a vibrant, but not garish, variety of food to choose from, including well-executed south Indian, continental / European, and American-style dishes.

**Tip: Always try to save room for something freshly made... western pancakes come with dark amber maple syrup. Be sure to ask for your own French press of coffee, or espresso... you don't have to settle for drip!

4. THE POOL was beautiful, silent, and fit for a serious workout. I went for an early swim, but I could also imagine it being great to just sit there with a book (as I saw another quiet guest doing), thanks to its isolated and peaceful location.

5. THE OTHER GUESTS all look incredibly relaxed and content, even as they don their business-casual outfits to breakfast (where many seemed on genuinely friendly and familiar terms with the staff). This is a positive comment on the Oberoi itself.

I left the Oberoi feeling relaxed, clean, quiet on the inside, and more beautiful than when I entered.

What traveler couldn't use that sort of rejuvenation?

I will definitely be back next time I'm in Bangalore!

Room Tip: Choose a suite if you can! It's worth it for the size and quiet, and there are also great pricin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank susanfsu
Oberoi_Bangalore, General Manager at The Oberoi, Bengaluru, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing The Oberoi during your visit to Bangalore and for sharing your experience at The Oberoi with the Trip Advisor community.

Your positive observations regarding our hotel, food and pool is truly inspirational for all of us. We also appreciate and thank you for recognizing our team members for all their efforts. I have conveyed your compliments to the entire team, for whom it has been a tremendous source of inspiration.

I am particularly pleased to read your compliments on some gestures made by the team that contributed to your impression.

It is our constant endeavour to deliver excellent services and appreciation such as yours increase our motivation to continually aspire to achieve the expectations that our guests have of us.

All of us at The Oberoi thank you once again for your recommendation and appreciating the locational advantage of our hotel and look forward to the delight of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Staying at this hotel was truly a delight. I have always stayed with friends and so only ever experienced this hotel once, but that one time was such a delight, such an exquisite wonder. Top level professionalism, food, personal attention. I have never felt so pampered as I did during my stay here. Staying here is a must. I will be back. Oh, and the breakfast! I hope they are still serving the banana bread which is heaven.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank XDST82
Oberoi_Bangalore, General Manager at The Oberoi, Bengaluru, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to note that you had an delightful stay with us.

I have conveyed your compliments to the team, for whom it has been a tremendous source of inspiration. The bakery team was also delighted to note that their efforts were so well appreciated. We do have the banana bread on our menu.

The team joins me in thanking you for your recommendation and we look forward to your return.

Vice President and General Manager,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Amazing service. have stayed at the Taj a number of times and i must say i would come back to the Oberois simply cos they are more service oriented and professional. The restaurant to watch out for is Rim Naam, thai cuisine , where you get the most fascinating chef signatures like braised chicken on vine leaves. Delicious, the main course was as good and the service top notch. The only hitch would be the mosquitoes around so, wear trousers! The pool area was good too, though the temperature could be regulated a bit more for comfort. Overall, the most pleasant stay in bangalore, the service really top class, showing real professionalism.

Room Tip: choose the recently renovated rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel and also for your compliments on our Thai restaurant, Rim Naam.

We are also grateful for your appreciation of our services provided by the team. Your words of appreciation shall go a long way to motivate them to continue to deliver a high level of service to our guests.

With regards to your comments on comments on mosquitoes , rest assured that we have stepped up on our precautionary measures. Please do accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We have also noted your feedback on pool temperature and would like to thank you for sharing your observations.

My team and I hope that we remain your preferred hotel on all your future visits to this city.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed in the Oberoi for the second time. First time was 4 years ago and when I visited Bangalore for the second time last week, I booked the hotel again. A perfect place to stay, it is as if you enter a complete other world if you pass the main entry. From the Indian chaos on the MG road to the oasis of rest in the garden of the hotel.
Excellent service and tasteful food in every restaurant. I travel around the world and stay at least 40 days per yearbin 4-5 star hotels and Oberoi is in the top 3 for me

Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to be of service to you during your visit to Bangalore this month.

The team and I sincerely appreciate your time in posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to read your positive review on our garden and also delighted to note that our service and food were to your satisfaction.

The team joins me in thanking you for your generous rating of our hotel and look forward to having the continuous pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had the good fortunate to live in India as expatriates a number of years ago and often enjoyed the amenities and restaurants of The Oberoi and those offered by other high end hotels within Bangalore, and across India. As a result of this exposure, when we returned for a visit, we naturally chose The Oberoi as our preferred hotel and encouraged our colleagues to join us.

Ultimately, it is the high caliber of employees who make the stay incredibly enjoyable and memorable. This singular distinction separates The Oberoi from its competition and elevates the guest experience well above all other options. Unlike other hotels, the staff are intrinsically motivated and departmentally cross-trained to deliver a high level of client care and satisfaction that is genuine and customized to your needs. Rather than behaving in a manner of uncomfortable servitude in fear of their job or reprimand, the staff at The Oberoi readily engage in meaningful conversation and seem empowered to make decisions by taking professional responsibility for your care. This natural and casual level of interaction between guests and employees is wonderfully refreshing and not stiff and stuffy like other hotels in Bangalore. It was a delight to get to know the staff and see their individual and unique personalities shine through.

The location of The Oberoi is centralized regardless of where your office may be located but it’s also close to the most desirable restaurants, nightlife and shopping. The new Metro (subway) on MG Rd is outside the hotel and the Trinity station stop only a few steps away. Next to The Oberoi are 2 other well known hotels and around the corner is the new 1MG Mall. Across the street, the Big KidsKemp store is convenient to pick up last minute gifts such as a sari, pashmina, silk scarves or other items for men, women and children.

The hotel is shaped like the letter “L”. One full side of the “L” facing MG Rd is completely renovated to brand new, featuring high tech control options using an in-room ipad and an impressive bathroom with a soaker tub plus separate shower stall – these rooms are more expensive but the hotel website often offers great package deals including breakfast and unlimited wifi. The hallways of the renovated side features tempered glass to reduce the street noise. The remaining un-renovated rooms are still decent, very clean and provide a more spacious bedroom area that can accommodate a small desk and couch but has a smaller bathroom area. After viewing both options, we opted for the older room due to the larger usable space. For noise reduction, these rooms feature a second, solid wood interior door and our sleep was never interrupted. All rooms have a balcony that face the interior landscaped gardens with a view of the pool and/or outdoor seating of the Polo Club.

The overall size of The Oberoi is perfect and not an overwhelming mausoleum where only whispers and tiptoes seem appropriate. In fact, unlike some other high end hotels, the atmosphere of the Oberoi is quite lively. It is enjoyable to come back to the hotel for high tea or an after-dinner drink at The Polo Club and join other patrons in the hubbub of conversation and laughter. The hotel attracts mostly business executives and raucous, noisy behavior late into the night will not be an issue here. Many outside guests visit The Oberoi for dinner and the hotel is particularly well-known in Bangalore for its al fresco Thai restaurant, called Rim Naam, so be sure to make reservations.

The spa is uneventful, almost utilitarian in its decor and not as luxurious or pompous as other options in town, nor is it adequately staffed for peak hours although the services provided were satisfactory.

The food and beverage options are excellent and will not disappoint on any level. The chef is always eager to accommodate any request without hesitation.

Overall, The Oberoi is a fantastic option for the discerning business traveler, from airport pick-up onwards, and well worth every single rupee. Plus, extra kudos for their exceptional talent management!

Room Tip: Choose the un-renovated rooms if you prefer more bedroom/work space however you will forgo a luxury...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Saklamaris
Oberoi_Bangalore, General Manager at The Oberoi, Bengaluru, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi as a preferred hotel during your recent visit to Bangalore and for sharing such a fantastic review with the Trip Advisor community.

Your positive observations regarding our hotel, food, gardens is inspirational for all of us. Also, your recognition of our service as being genuine and professional is indeed a honour for the team. Our greatest strength is our team and your recognition for them, is heartening which will encourage us further.

At The Oberoi, it is our continuous endeavour to provide our guests with the highest level of service and to make their stay truly memorable.

We have noted your feedback on our Spa and would like to thank you for sharing your comments.

I thank you once again for your appreciative feedback about your experience at our hotel and its locational advantage and look forward to having more opportunities to be of service to you.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed recently in Hotel Oberoi. It was my first trip to India and I was so pleasantly surprised. Expect to be treated like a returning family member, expect people to know your name and receive you warmly. The hotel facilities, from the Ipad control of the room, tv and lighting to the great restaurants onsite, were top class. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the gardens rather than the city
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Oberoi_Bangalore, General Manager at The Oberoi, Bengaluru, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Bangalore and to The Oberoi. Thank you for giving us this opportunity.

We sincerely appreciate your time in sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to note that our product, facilities and services were to your satisfaction.

The team and I hope that The Oberoi remains your preferred hotel on all your future visits to Bangalore.