“Its THE West End Nuff Said!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Taj West End

Ranked #12 of 648 Hotels in Bengaluru
Muktsar, India
“Its THE West End Nuff Said!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

This has been my favourite hotel ever since I was a kid. The most amazing thing about the West End is how it continues to reinvent itself yet retains that old world garden charm. Every block of this hotel has its own unique charm and the lush greenery all over gives it an absolutely lovely feel. Just the fact that none of their blocks has a third story gives the place a chilled out hacienda feel and they have done very well in melding the old class with modern design. The service is and has always been top class. The food served at their restaurants and room service is extremely well presented and very tasty too. The coffee shop has a nice chilled out feel to it and though I'm not a big fan of Blue Ginger I must say it has really improved over the years. The Blue Bar though not as happening as it once was has a real therapeutic feel to it with the lovely Bangalore weather (especially for a North Indian visitor in July). Have been staying here for almost 35 years since it was a Spencers Hotel and god willing will visit The West End for many more. Keep it Up guys!

Stayed July 2014
TheTaj W, General Manager at The Taj West End, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to review us on Trip Advisor and for posting your compliments.

On behalf of the team from The Taj West End, please accept our heartfelt gratitude for your so kind words for the entire team.

We always endeavor to instill this passion and commitment among the team members and am really glad to know it made a difference to you. I have shared your positive feedback with all my colleagues as feedback such as yours motivate us to attempt superior levels.

Assuring you of our best attention and services at all times and look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj West End…….

Voted among the top 25 luxury Hotels in India -Trip Advisor 2012
Voted the number 1 Business Hotel in India - Conde Nast Traveller UK Readers Awards 2010
Voted Amongst Top 10 Best Luxury Hotels in India - Trip Advisor's Travel Choice Awards 2009
Ranked among the top 10 business hotels in the World - Condé Nast Traveller 2009 Reader Awards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Gurgaon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Inspite of bad incident somehow have something that pulls me to this property . Inspite of the fact that my other colleagues would prefer other brand where it is easier to accumulate free nights ...decided to arrive here ....reach there late night 1030 pm ...
checkin a junior guy , silent attitude ....never bothered for even normal courtesies ..which i am used to ...like " welcome back " etc etc ...i am not one who likes to be pampered ...

When i made an polite observation about my displeaure on being asked my ID card , was given reason that IT systems have changed and hence all data lost , but when i insisted he knew my preference of a particular block in hotel , i again expressed my displeasure and then the attitude of the guy came out ...mind it ...i only expressed my displeasure and that too in professional manner ...
When the guy showed me attitude big time , i had to put my feet down and demand an explanation .from duty manager ..he said he is the duty manager ..a 4yr experience guy ..duty manager ( Taj management ..whats wrong with you ?? how can you leave such great luxury property in hand of a kiddo with bad attitude and zero customer handling skills ) ...i am a frequent traveller and highest level of taj hotels loyality program inner circle .

Besides this as always rooms and other things were 5/5 ..somehow ...my polite request Taj management don't make this great property a training ground , this property is jewel in the crown , having stayed in almost most taj luxury properties in india , leaving aside heritage hotels , this is the best when it comes to luxury+business in a metro .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheTaj W, General Manager at The Taj West End, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us on Trip Advisor and also for posting your compliments. We are happy to note that you have had a great stay at the hotel.

We have shared your feedback regarding your experience at the time of check-in with our team and would like to assure you that the concerns raised will be addressed.

Look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj West End again during your next visit to Bangalore.

Certificate of Excellence -Trip Advisor 2013
Ranked among the top 10 business hotels in the World - Condé Nast Traveller Reader Awards 2009
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I'm staying in the Taj West End this week and to be honest I'm disappointed - but not really about the hotel itself.

The Vietnamese restaurant is excellent (the head chef in the hotel is fab!) and the staff are all polite and friendly. The gardens are as beautiful as you'd hope (as are the pools!) and the first couple of days of our stay were nice and relaxed.

I'm sad to raise issues but be honest it seems all the hotels problems are caused by corporate decision making and are probably out the hands of the staff so I don't feel guilt complaining

I have found 3 big problems:

1) Saturday - On Saturday the Blue Bar plays insanely loud club music all evening until 1am. This can be heard across the grounds and makes both the windows and your bones shake. This wasn't something they advertised and really upset me as I purposefully chose somewhere they pitch as tranquil - see youtube and read the website.

2) Internet - The Taj charges over £7.50 per day for WiFi whilst at most Bangalore hotels its now free (or almost). Simply a rip-off. I should say it works well however - but for nearly 10% of the room rate it should. You can buy a 4G dongle in India for £10 a month(!) but it wouldn't work at the Taj because of the trees. Adding effectively the cost of an entire extra night to my hotel bill in WiFI costs is something they should be ashamed of. There is a cheaper 7 day option but only for 1 device so any businessman is unlikely to find this helpful.

3) Hotel Cars/Taxis - The Taj has a HUGE minimum car journey price of £17.50 (this is VERY high for Bangalore (You can get a non-hotel car almost anywhere for £2). I'm told they often send a new white BMW but they picked me up in an old Toyota from the Airport [£40!]).

By comparison, we have friends here staying at the 5* LaLit Ashok, only 2000 metres down the road, where the concierge looked embarrassed charging £5 for a guy to drop them here to visit, hang around over lunch, and drive them back (a TukTuk would be £0.20)

If the Taj sorted these things out it could be rated 1st in Bangalore not 14th!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank AndrewTibbitts
TheTaj W, General Manager at The Taj West End, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Mr. Tibbitts,

We have shared your feedback regarding Blue Bar music with our team and to our Corporate Office regarding the internet charges and car hire charges. Would like to assure you that the concerns raised will be addressed.

Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I am finding this review particularly difficult to write. I found the service at the hotel (in particular from Shivakumar M at reservations and Debayan Ghosh at concierge) was excellent. Debayan was very helpful in arranging a lovely trip to Mysore.

The hotel reception was fun, complete with jasmine necklaces and a refreshing beverage and check in was smooth. Meaning well, they upgraded us to a larger room that had two queen beds (we were travelling with our young adult daughter) instead of adding a roll away to our original room. This room, however, was not what we had hoped for. It certainly was not worthy of 5 stars. It was dark with no private terrace and not a particularly nice view from the small window. The carpet needed replacing and the bathroom was musky. This is probably because the tub never completely drained. We would have to stand in cold water at the start of our showers. We brought this to the attention of our cleaning staff who apologized profusely, revacuumed and tried to drain the tub. The problem was not with the drain but with the angle of the tub floor. I would have preferred another room and should have said so.

The gardens were extensive and very pretty. The food was delicious. We enjoyed eating outside on the terrace. The pool we swam in was refreshing (there are two) but the change room was confusing.

Transport to and from the airport was very smooth. Ask the desk for Gurunath M. (919980853704). He is amazingly professional and safe. Excellent driver. Do see Mysore for a day.

So, to recap, the service was great and the hotel has wonderful qualities but we were disappointed with our room.

Room Tip: Check your room upon arrival and don't be afraid to change
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank imphillips
TheTaj W, General Manager at The Taj West End, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us on Trip Advisor and also for posting your generous compliments. We conveyed your compliments to Mr. Gurunath.

We are happy to note that you have had a great stay at the hotel.

We have shared your feedback regarding the room allotted to you with our team and would like to assure you that the concerns raised will be addressed.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

If you are in bangalore for a weekend with friends and want a Sunday afternoon of self indulgence then go no further than the Taj West. Unlimited Moët and a wide ranging buffet covering all cuisines means something for everyone. Moët is an option so for those of you that prefer not to drink you can still enjoy the food.
Staff are attentive and friendly and the general buzz makes for a great time. For those with children there is entertainment for them leaving a chance for adults to sit back and relax.
A must every time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheTaj W, General Manager at The Taj West End, responded to this review, July 6, 2014

We are happy to note that you have had a great stay with us.

Look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj West End again on your next visit to Bangalore.

itchy__feet07
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

By far the best hotel I've stayed in India and most definitely my favourite. Impeccable service, fantastic food and beautiful rooms. Whether your sipping your morning coffee on your balcony, enjoying a dip in the sun-drenched pool or enjoying a fabulous Vietnamese dinner, the Taj West End has the ability to make you feel like royalty. Thank you to all of the staff who made my stay so perfect (especially my housekeeper and room attendant Sarale and Santosh); I was here on business but was made to feel like I was on holiday! Flowers in my room, a rose petal foot spa....this is Indian luxury at it's best. Already looking forward to next time :-)

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
TheTaj W, General Manager at The Taj West End, responded to this review, June 30, 2014

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

From arrival, at the gate at the baggage security check, all the way to the staff cleaning the room in the morning the chats were pleasant, polite and informative. The garden setting is wonderful esp. to have morning tea on the balconey, or the breakfast on the club room patio and the dinner amongst the trees and flowers on the Mynt lawn! I had forgotten to return the room key when checking out, so when I returne 8 hours later I was met with a smile and a warm, 'No Problem, sir!' Great

Room Tip: On the ground floor, opposite the pool is good. After a quick dip one can quickly nip back into the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business