“French Countryside Bistro in Rural setting in India”
Review of Chez Mariannick

Chez Mariannick
Ranked #716 of 11,206 Restaurants in Bengaluru
Cuisines: French, Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Whitefield
Reviewed February 26, 2012

One of the things most I will miss about India is Friday nights at Mariannick. From the cozy atmospehere to the fantastic pizza and crepes, it has always been a special place for my husband and I and our friends. Both Mariannick and her husband are fabulous hosts! and help make every evening there fun. They have a nice wine selection. And my favorite part of the meal is the fresh salad with homemade dressing and fresh baked bread. Its hard ot stop eating that and save room for the main. Then there is DESSERT! Absolutely delicious! We will really miss this place and the lovely hosts! Deborah and Peter Palm Meadows Bangalore

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Tasty pizzas and right value for money! A very good host.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

I think the biggest calling call for Chez Mariannick is it's French owner; if the same place were to be run by an Indian person, I am fairly certain that this place would not have made it to the No. ! slot on Tripadvisor and garnered the type of positive reviews that it has.

The pros:

1. The look and feel - Mariannick is a family-run place in Whitefield and it has a fun, quirky vibe thanks to it's location and ambiance. It's on an interior road (off Whitefield main road, in the lane next to Sorbet) and has a rustic feel because of the cute. semi-shaded garden/sit-out area enclosed within a bamboo fence, unpolished wooded furniture, cottage-y windows, yellow walls, red-ochre floor, low-slung roof and most of all, the wood-fired oven.

2. The owners - Mariannick and her husband - are genuinely sweet, earnest and friendly and they seem to work hard and try to do a good job.

3. The food is nice is a generic European way and the portions are fairly hearty. The desserts are especially good.

Cons:

1. Pricey - The rustic, too-casual ambiance is misleading and the place is EXPENSIVE for a casual lunch/ dinner. Meal for two costs around Rs. 1200. (No drinks, one basic vegetarian pizza, two desserts...)

2. Misleading, confusing, erratic pricing - They bring a mixed salad, bread basket and a bottle of water to your table, leading you to think that it's complimentary. But it's not and these are default accompaniments that are charged as part of your meal, whether you want them or not. There are two meal options - one costing Rs. 400 and the other costing Rs. 700. The first one comes with half a pizza and the second one comes with a full pizza plus dessert. The salad, bread basket and water are part of both meals. No one offered us a soft drink, but I found out later that your meal also includes unlimited soft-drinks or juices. What this means is that you can't order just a pizza minus the compulsory add-ons. And assuming you are not in the mood for salad or bread (or bottled water, for that matter), it means that you are shelling out Rs. 400 for half a vegetarian pizza. Insane?! I thought so too. The pizzas ought to have been priced individually and ought to have been in the Rs. 180-250 range for vegetarian pizzas.

3. We ordered a coffee that came in a French Press. Figuring that one is too much for me, I asked for an extra mug. So, what happens next is that the owner charges us for two coffees instead of one. And she did it so breezily and unthinkingly that I felt bad about pointing it out and we left it at that. But this whole per person charge is very, very unreasonable. Made me wonder that had I shared my dessert, I just might have been charged for two stead of one. They should print a menu card with specific prices so that you know what you are paying for.

4. The aforementioned salad that is brought to your table is straight out of the fridge, with the result being that the greens seem fresh and crisp, but the rest of the stuff is just fridge-cold. And sprouted whole moong and thinly sliced babycorn? Hmmm. If this salad is chargeable as part of larger meal, I expect something much, much more substantial.

5. Desserts are Rs. 120 a pop. Fine they are artisan, but considering the portion size, I wouldn't want to pay more than Rs. 80.

6. Pizza. Margarita comes with dried herbs and no fresh basil leaves (and Emmental instead of Mozzarella). Elementary mistake in my opinion and also unforgivable because Italian basil is so widely available in Bangalore now.

7. Biggest grouse of all - the place seems to be off the tax radar - completely. They don't give you any bills; not even a hand-scribbled one. The billing is entirely verbal, leaving you with no way to question or correct any pricing errors. Considering that the place is run by an expatriate and caters to largely expatriate crowd, I think it's extremely unfair and unethical that Chez Mariannick does not have a more transparent and conventional billing system.

5  Thank ItchyFeet_Blore
Reviewed January 20, 2012

was there with my colleagues and client when the owner who came to the table was to chatty to let us have our own conversation.

Food was just ok and the porpotion size was tooooo small.

It was an important meeting for us which was ruined.

6  Thank TheYottaMan
Reviewed January 12, 2012

After hearing a lot about this place, we visited with friends.

The setting is such that gives u a feel of sitting in middle of nowhere, we sat in the open area & it had th rustic charm. Mind it, its not luxury if you are here for food you wont be disappointed.

They started with salad & bread, which was good.
There crepes & pizzas were awesome.

However, i did not like the owner's claim of telling everything they have is "best in the world". Like, the dessert, it was fine but definately not the best I ever had, as he claimed.

Overall, a good place for European cuisine ( esp crepes & breads) but slightly overpriced.