“up amongst the tree tops in UB city”
Review of Purple Lotus

Purple Lotus
Ranked #36 of 595 Bengaluru B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Purple Lotus whilst scouting for a home in Bangalore. Overall the hotel stay was v.pleasant. The rooms were well maintained and we stayed in a room on the 4th floor so had a lovely view across to UB city.
The breakfast buffet was adequate, with a reasonable choice. This is served in one of the most zen breakfast zones I've ever been in.
Location wise, for Bangalore it is difficult to beat, just off the UB strip with Pubs and Bars in easy reach and central Bangalore an easy walk away.
I saw mention of Yoga classes and other spiritual offerings, but in our time there we didnt get a chance to take any of these up. The staff are effiicent and friendly, however I am the type who likes to interact with people and I was a little dissappointed there wasnt more friendly chit-chat (perhaps thats just me) I like my hosts to be more gregarious. Still, we had a peaceful time here, not sure about other guests who thought this was noisy.
The rooftop sitting area was also another great spot, not sure why there was a ban on drinking alcohol up here, probably the usual few spoiling ot for the rest, seemed like a nice place to spend the evening supping a beer or two.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms will help you get away from the noisy kitchen and also have great views over the top...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bruce T
krupashivarthy, Owner at Purple Lotus, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit a positive of your stay and your kind words about our property. Normally, I am always around to meet, greet and interact with guests directly but both of my sons were getting married during the time of your stay so I unfortunately was away during this period. That said, I do hope your search for a home in our lovely city goes well. I am happy to provide with you my thoughts/feedback on areas in the city as I have lived here all my life -- feel free to reach out directly.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

From arrival at an ungodly time in the morning, we were taken care of and received only warmth and the very best in hospitality our entire stay at the Purple Lotus.

The staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble, and the rooms were huge, well stocked with mini-kitchenettes... everything was perfectly clean and the communal areas of the hotel were delightful, particularly the dining area which sits by a pond full of purple lotuses... a magical start to every day.

The location is also absolutely perfect: safe, walking distance to market areas, a large park nearby, the cricket stadium and fab eating places with a variety of cuisines for all tastes.

The hotel also has the option of hiring drivers for any length of time and to anywhere and they were by far the most reliable and professional we have come across in India... and the cheapest!

For the amount we paid for our room per night, there is no way you could find any boutique hotel for better quality or value. Sadly the 25% tax is a standard government tax, so a previous reviewer was slightly misguided with regards this point.

We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and will ALWAYS stay here whenever we return to Bangalore.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chenry999

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a detailed positive review -- it is always so very nice to read about the pleasant stay of our guests. I very much look forward to meeting you during your next visit from London!

Reviewed December 25, 2012

booked this hotel after reading reviews on tripadvisor and was extremely disappointed with 4 night stay at this hotel. The hotel walls are so thin you can hear your neighbour cough, switch the lights on and off and open and close cupboard doors. Even more disturbing is the noise caused by cups, teaspoons and tables being moved around when seting up for breakfast at 5 am. Two nights and one morning had cold water showers. Water is heated at certain times! Definitely very disapointing stay!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DIPCHUND B

I am very sorry to hear you had a negative experience with us. If you can please reach out to me directly, I will be happy to work something out with you. I assure you this is not representative of our normal experience -- if there was any issue with noise or water in your room, our staff would have gladly shifted you to another room. Please email me directly and will try, if it is not too late, to rectify the problem.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Really nice hotel, walking distance to many sightseeing hot spots and a lot of shops (also M.G.-Road). In the crazy city of Bangalore a quite hotel, also close to the Cubbon Park for ralaxing.
unfortunately I stayed only one night at this hotel, before take flight home. But for sure, it is a hotel mor some more days to spend. Many Spa's next to the hotel.

Room Tip: hifher floors are more quite, roof terrace
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Monika P

Hi Monika,

Thank you for visiting us all the way from Vienna and for taking time to submit a review. We do hope you stay with us longer on your next visit to Bangalore!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Centrally located in the heart of the city, nearer to all sight-seeing places, helpful and well mannered staffs, though pricy. The ambiance is great and is equivalent to any 5-star hotel. Food was great but can reduce the 25% Tax, dinner on roof-top was an excellent experience with UB City on the background. Room was nice, big and clean, but all condiments and toiletries are kept for only one guest assuming room will be occupied by a single person. When asked for some more condiments, staff came back just getting one, had to request multiple times.We left the luggage after checking out for safe keeping as we went for sight-seeing and once we were back, it was nicely taken care and safely given.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Victor_Vij

Thank you for taking the time to submit a positive review of your experience at the Purple Lotus. I will be sure to talk to the staff about the condiments issue you faced -- it should always be staffed for at least two individuals. Unfortunately, we cannot reduce the 25% tax -- these are strictly mandated by the State and Government of India for all hotels. It is a luxury tax and other local excise taxes. In any case, I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us and we do hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

From the moment you walk in the doors on arrival, till the day you depart you are treated warmly. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel has a very nice, cozy, stylish decor with a posh vibe. It sits back on the end of a road in a very quite area. The hotel is very quite as well. I had dinner in the restaurant a few time and the food was DELICIOUS.. Service was impeccable all the way around.. The manager Mr. Melvin Ross is more than attentive to your queries with fast resolve. The only negative I had was I used the hotel taxi service for a day and my driver spoke no english. I know traveling we can not always expect people to speak our language, but being in the hotel/service industry it is expected. On our return to the hotel, the driver pulled into a shop and insisted I shop. I told him I did not want to shop, I wanted to return to the hotel. The gentleman outside the shop translated what he was insisting. He was begging me to buy something for him.. I was in shock. I refused... I told the front desk. Not sure how this was handled. Second, was that one night I had no hot water, after about 10 minutes the staff resolved the problem. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and for your positive review. I sincerely apologize for the issue you describe that you had with the driver. Our main driver was on leave as he had a death in the family and we used a backup recommended by another local hotel -- needless to say he has been fired and again, I sincerely apologize for this issue. We are also in the process of replacing our bio-briquette central water heater so we have been facing some issues, again, my apologies. We do hope to see you again soon if you travels from Nigeria bring you back to Bangalore.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed in Bangalore for our last two nights on a month long stay in India. This was easily the best place we stayed. The room was huge, modern and comfortable, and very clean. We had a light and airy corner room complete with microwave and plenty of lounging space. Superb location just off MG road and found the corner from lovely Cubbon Park, but in a peaceful cul de sac. Breakfast was a tad on the light side but that didn't bother us. Special thanks to Rosie at reception for looking after us. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BarbMNZ
krupashivarthy, Owner at Purple Lotus, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Hi Barb,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us -- all the way from New Zealand. Look forward to your return to India! Thank you for the very positive review.

Best,