“South Indian mini-meals”

Ranked #53 of 11,337 Restaurants in Bengaluru
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Cubbon Park
Description: Mavalli Tiffin Rooms, known more popularly as MTR, was established in 1924 and is one of Bangalore's oldest and most well known restaurants.
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I went to MTR self-service counter on a weekday. Note that the service is in the adjacent building, although both are from MTR group.

The food was decent and nothing special to talk about. Nice option for lunch when one goes to passport office in Lalbagh road.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,331)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you offer great food at a very attractive price, people will put up with anything - that is the motto here. They serve some really tasty local Karnataka fare at a ridiculously low price. Service, the waiting and the overall ambience etc. literally need to be ignored for the food here. Just get there really early (12:30 is when they open for lunch) and enjoy the food.
A tip: Go easy on the pooris and the grape juice they serve at the beginning and leave space in your stomach for the big array of items that follow.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We sauntered in to try what the food at this famed chain is like at the newly opened outlet in Indiranagar with my parents.
We were actually looking for a dosa, idli, vada sort of meal but were informed that only meals were served on weekends.
We decided to give it a shot. I'm so glad we did as the food was outstanding. In my mother's words it was "divine and like prasadam meant for offering to the Gods!" - trust me this is high praise coming from a woman who hates meals and is a fabulous cook herself.
The food was served with lots of love and every course surpassed the other.
The first course was sagu and puri along with a yummy salad and cabbage vegetable preparation along with a refreshing cool drink with kesar.
This was follwoed by small delectable dosa and chutney.
This again was followed by bisi bele bhaat and raita.
This in turn was followed by sambar and rasam rice and papad. Curd rice followed next.
The desserts included a seera, badam halwa and icecream.
The meal was finished with a lovely paan!
We obvoiusly could not even try some of the courses as it was too much for us.
This too came at such a reasonable price of under 600 for 3 meals!
Would love to go back here anytime!

5  Thank Priya1979
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Want to enjoy an authentic south indian flavour? This is the place to go. Enjoyed a great meal here, would love to go back when I crave about south indian dishes.

2  Thank Puru3012
Reviewed April 22, 2013

When I had a tour with my wife Ruma at Bangalore for a treatment at NIMHANS then I take my Lunch and Breakfast in MTR restaurant. This is situated near Urvashi Theater of Bangalore. I have enjoyed their food too much . Also their service cheremed us , they treat you as like as your house. In lunch they serve different types of south Indian foods like chach , sambars , chawl , dahi chawl etc etc with traditional style and in traditional utinsils . To serve tea they provide silver like glass . This fills us Bhuribhoj ( dawat ) as encient days. This is clean and tastey. I never forgot the big size Idly with good taste. We had enjoyed too much . If you plan to enjoy their food you must take time and wait for your term.

2  Thank CHANDAN S