“clean and comfortable”

Ranked #57 of 74 Hotels in Leh
peterborough
“clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2010

Stayed for 12 days recently in a rather cold Leh (temp -10 C at night). The hotel staff are very friendly and extremely helpful. There are only two suites but they are worth the extra cost. I think the rooms were Rs 3900 (£65 per night). Standard room Rs 2600 (£40). Room service is available but one has to know what to order as there is no menu card (or at least there was none when we stayed). There is no restaurant as such though there is place to have breakfast. Centre of town is a five minute walk with some good places to eat. Hot water is available only between 6-8 am and pm.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Navi Mumbai, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

Date of visit: May 3, 2010 to May 07, 2010.

We were being received at the airport by the hotel staff and the hotel is 10 minutes away fro the Leh airport. The room service was excellent. It has got hot water service from 6 to 8 in the morning as well as in the evening which was very much useful for a cold place like Ladakh. The foods were also very good. The hotel staff were very co operative and friendly. We liked and enjoyed the stay very much.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank nirmal_sur
Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

The experience was really good.
Room service was excellent.
Food was also great.
One problem was that the hotel did not have a running internet connection.
And hot water was available 2 times a day only.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Accra, Ghana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

My husband was very keen to travel to Leh and as usual it fell upon me to choose the right hotel/resort for our stay. Hubby has a very high opinion of my ability to find hidden gems through rigorous internet search. But here I have to say I do not deserve 100/100 for this find!

We went to Leh in May 2009 which is an off-season for this place. Most hotels were closed but some of the top hotels which had good heating facilities were open for the odd queer tourists like us. :)

I am very tempted to write about my trip here rather than the hotel itself coz the trip was amazing. Kashmir truly is the Kohinoor of the Indian diadem and Leh in particular shines brightly with its rugged beauty. Probably one of the few places in India with deserts on one side and snow clad mountains on the other. Turn your head any which direction you want and I can guarantee the view will take your breath away. We rented a bike and roamed around to our hearts’ content. Although it was chilling to the bone, we felt that a jeep/car drive cannot beat a bike ride on meandering roads maintained in excellent condition thanks to the military presence.

Now coming back to the hotel.. Namgyal palace is probably one of the better looking/top hotels in Leh. Most hotels in Leh are B&B for backpackers. There are probably a dozen or so hotels/resorts which are more aesthetically designed and well maintained.

I chose Namgyal after a lot of internet research and after reading reviews on tripadvisor. Since the idea was to see Leh and use the hotel only to sleep, I didn’t believe that I could go wrong here in my choice. This is pretty much what happened. But the hotel fails to delight you.

On the positive side, hotel exterior is quite pleasing with a pretty lawn and beach umbrellas and chairs spread out invitingly. Since it was off-season, some carpentry work was being carried out right next to the lawn which wasn’t a pleasing sight. But I am sure peak season will be different.

One thing I cannot forget about this hotel is that right from the moment we stepped into the reception till the time we checked out, I don’t remember seeing a single smiling face apart from those of the cleaning ladies. The manager who received us at the reception and checked us in looked like he had some serious issues with his life. We felt like we were some uninvited guests in a distant relative’s house! LOL

Coming to the rooms, the less said the better. The walls are so thin you can hear literally everything happening outside. The loud talk of the cleaning ladies, their giggles, their footsteps..everything! Because of the cold I think, there was a lot of static and we used to get little shocks when we touched the fixtures. We used to turn on taps holding towels to avoid the static. The bed is pretty good though and you have a television with quite a few channels. So it is not very difficult to spend your time in the room for a day while acclimatizing. I only wish the walls were a bit thicker.

Food is pretty decent. Nothing to scream about but enough to satisfy hunger pangs adequately. Here again, no warmth or welcoming behavior from the staff. You come, you eat and you go! Their coffee sucks..so order only tea please.

Hotel can help you to plan trips to Pangong Lake and other tourist attractions by arranging vehicles. But we found it more economical to go to the taxi stand and bargain. 

No tips expected by anyone nor are they demanded. But we did tip the boy who brought in our luggage and the guy at the restaurant who served all our meals.

No hassle during billing. Our bill was correct to the rupee.

All in all, a pleasant stay. Would I come here again? Maybe not. If I do travel to Leh again, I will look for a diff option. But if you have already booked this place, do not worry. Leh is beautiful and any slight discomforts at this hotel will be more than compensated by the beautiful scenery all around you.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank noni_2k2
Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2009

The first impression on entering the hotel was GREAT. Big spacious, lot of open area in and around, rooms were big enough and so were the toilets. The manager arranged everything for sight-seeing with good quality cabs and food parcels for long trips.
Restaurant was good enough and the food too.
The hotel is little far from the main market area but that is why I liked it. Best thing was the breathtaking view of snow capped mountains from the windows of the room and balcony outside the room.
I recommend everyone to stay there for a quality holiday.

• Liked — I liked the tranquil atmosphere with breathtaking view
  • Disliked — nothing as such
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Hill-Explorer
NamgyalPalaceLeh, PR Manager at Hotel Namgyal Palace, responded to this review, June 10, 2009
Im glad to know that u had a pleasant stay at Hotel Namgyal Palace.I also want to thank u for your generous response which humbles us as well as encourages us to serve our clients better than ever.
We at Namgyal palace have never compromised on the quality of service that we offer to our clients.We ensure that the Hotel has a warm family atmosphere so that our guests feel at home even being away from home.
Today Hotel Namgyal Palace has carved a niche of its own among the hundreds of other hotels for the best that anyone can offer in Ladakh.
Your response is a reward for the effort we put in to make our guests feel the worth of their holiday.
Many Thanks.Hope we can serve you again.
firenze
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2008

Great location, 5 minutes walking to reach main market on city, beautifull mountain's view from room' s windows, quiet and sunny place, clean bathroom. Better any restaurant on town then take lunch or dinner inside hotel....Internet not working sometime, cable TV on the room also, but everytime power energy provided by a big generator on site. Close on wintertime, good relation between services and price. 11 relaxing nights on hotel without problems.

• Liked — location and services
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank punkjanus
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

We took a chance on this place despite it not having many TA reviews, and were pleasantly surprised to find a new (it's in its 2nd year of operation), clean, comfortable hotel with spectacular views of the mountains. I liked virtually everything here; it has spacious common areas where I read in the morning while my roommate was sleeping. It is close to just about anything in Leh, we walked to lunch, dinner, and shops each day. It is in a unique, classy building. The bathrooms are clean and generally up to western standards. The furniture is on the basic side, but still quite comfortable. We were given fair rates for the cars we hired from the hotel. The bill was handled in a straightforward and efficient manner.

The bad: frequent power outages, noisy and smelly generator located near our room. Hot water only from 6-8am and 6-8pm, though it was tolerably warm in the afternoon when I tried it. Common areas, while nice, encouraged loud late-night gatherings. For some reason, 3 or 4 doges in the area barked most of the night... bring earplugs if you want to sleep. The meals are overpriced, given that there's excellent and inexpensive restaurants in town just a few minutes away, skip them.

All of this is forgivable. Unfortunately, our stay ended with a very negative experience. We had an early flight to Delhi, so we asked for wakeup calls and a taxi to take us to the airport. The wakeup calls never happened for some reason, but fortunately we got up on our own. What's much worse is that they never arranged a taxi for us, and we had to wait about 30 minutes, our flight time looming, while the attendant we woke up went to search for one (I'm still not sure why it took so long even then, perhaps it was too early for the regular drivers). We came precariously close to missing our flight. This is such a simple, quotidian task for the hotel that is so important to our stay that I really am furious that they couldn't do it properly. This incident is why I give the hotel 4/5 instead of 5/5, had they done this simple task properly I could recommend them without reservation.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Them screwing up our airport transfer.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends