Hotel Shambhala
$117
$65
$257
$169
All reviewstall treescozy propertygreen lawnthe ownerthe hotel staffvisit lehcomfortable stayleh markethammocksshambalaladakhistreamjunevalleyhospitalmr
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This was my second trip to Ladakh and to Shamba La. The term "home away from home" has been specifically made for this cosy hotel with a charming, sunny garden. The staff is a far cry from the plastic professionals of the large cities: every one from the gardener to the cook to the driver all offer service from their heart, even though they lack the polish of the hospitality trade (and thank goodness for that). The driver would be genuinely disappointed when I chose to trudge up to the market instead of taking his offer for a (free) lift; the cook would spend hours teaching me how to form shaphale, then insist on offering me flask after flask of (free) hot tea as I lay sprawled with a book out in the sun, and the reception staff cheerfully bustled about, running errands for the guests, with no obvious expectation of a tip. As I swelter in the Delhi heat, the memory of that idyllic five days remains with me. I know that before long there will be a third journey back to Leh and to the well-burnished charms of Shamba La.

Room Tip: Avoid the noise of the main town: you come to Ladakh for silence! Lower or higher than the main market are ideal. Do leave unrealistic expectations at home. This is a high altitude desert, not a city for swingers
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank talkingturkey
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We in a group of four traveled from Delhi to Srinagar then Kargil and finally Leh on our own transport. We reached Delhi via Manali. Throughout our excursion we found Shambhala a home away from home out of many other hotels and properties we stayed . Highly courteous staff, mainly Amitesh, Dillu, Parit any many more were always on their toes to meet our requirements. Our stay was from 24th of June'12 to 28th of June'12. Though it's little away from main market, but that gives a soothing relaxation from a noisy and diesel engulfed main market. I mark this property as my next destination to stay. Excellent Shambhala, keep it up. I would rather suggest my dears and nears to opt for this hotel for their stay in Leh. It really is a resort to relax. We had a very bad experience of Jamal resorts, Srinagar, which actually was an emporium kind of thing, with very arrogant staff and pathetic service. Throughout our trip we found Shambhala the best. All the best wishes

Room Tip: If you like absolute silence, then opt for Special rooms on first floor. Otherwise all rooms are very nice with a magnificent view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank johrirajiv
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We travelled in June by plane to Leh and stayed in Hotel Shambala. The Hotel was a pretty, tibetan style building about 2km outside Leh (they offer free transfer to town, though).
The rooms were clean and with western type restrooms. The door opened to the porch (see pictures) facing the lovely garden, looking especially outstanding in contrast to the meager Ladakhi vegetation. We spend the whole first day in the garden/porch adopting to the height. The hammocks were a great place to chill and read books.

Asian, indian and western cuisine was served. The food was authentic and absolutely delicious, big commendation to the chef! The BBQ in the garden was one of my highlights of the stay. Staff was helpfull and friendly at all times. They gave good advice regarding our activities and sightseeing.

A big plus for all smartphone addicts like me was the wifi access in the hotel. Contrary to one of the other posts, wifi worked during our stay. In general, I can absolutely recommend the hotel and my personal experience did totally not match the last two scary entrys here. Maybe the authors were expecting Dehli/Mumbai 5-star standard in Ladakh...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Markus D
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were a group of 14 on an "adventure" driving trip to Ladakh - a pilgrimage that you have to do at least once in your life. Shambhala was the ideal base camp for an otherwise hectic trip. For those interested, it is located only a short distance from the airport and away from the noise and hub-hub of the bazaar. It was the perfect place to relax and enjoy the crisp evenings.
Clean sheets, tasty food, well kept bathrooms and great hospitality that one expects from a place like Leh were all provided. They have a nice garden, a cosy lounge and balconies that one can choose from to sit in and relax with endless cups of steaming "chai". Accommodating staff even organized the appropriate sports channel for the football enthusiasts during eurocup.
They even kept a hot dinner waiting for us when we arrived at midnight following double blow out of the tyres of one of our cars on the Kargil-Leh Road, with a smile. The special omelets requested by some of us were served efficiently every morning.
Truly a home away from home.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor are spectacular. Two of the newer rooms away from the garden are suite sized with modern loos
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank docbharataggarwal
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was my fourth trip to Leh over 17 years. On my first trip I saw that there were precisely 3 top hotels. Today there are as many dozen. However, some things don't change. Leh continues to have as perilous an ecology if not more, so things like laundry, electricity etc, room service that we take for granted elsewhere is simply not available in Ladakh. If you understand that, you will have a great trip. If you are self focussed and lack sensitivity, do re-think your plans. I have seen n number of visitors from the plains arguing with hotels for more vegetable-centric meals, but no vegetables grow in the desert! The food in Shambala is well-known through Leh as being the best, but admittedly it is a bit simple and basic compared to say, Mumbai! Service is friendly and what is more, some of the best friends I have made have been formed in this unpretentious little hotel with the big garden (for Leh standards)

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room. They have the best views
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo