“Totally Spartan but serves the purpose” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Asia

Hotel Asia
Ranked #41 of 185 Leh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Totally Spartan but serves the purpose”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Got to Leh on a fairly unplanned holiday and Sonam the owner of Hotel Asia was the reason. He was very welcoming on the phone and in person too. Had a nice room and very hospitable surroundings. Sonam was always willing to help. Have since recommended the place to several friends and budget travelers going to Ladakh. The food in the guest house is better than the hotel. Would like to go back sometime.

Room Tip: Ones on the second floor are better.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Noida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed in Hotel Asia in 3rd week of July and this experience was really wonderful...!!!!

The owner Mr. Sonam is really kind and helpful. It is a complete family run place. Home made food using garden fresh vegs is served for all the guests..the ladakhi breakfast served in d mornin is awesome...

Overall it is a highly recommended hotel to be in....!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed at Hotel Asia as part of a group trip of 16 people organized by "Connect With Himalaya" (company run by Gaurav Punj) during the second week of July 2012. Reached the hotel after a grueling road trip from Kargil, to find dirty rooms and no hot water. Either Gaurav Punj hadn't informed Sonam Anchu of our arrival or Sonam Anchu chose not to provide us hot water that evening. Hot water wasn't available for the next 5 days that we stayed at the hotel; at best we got barely warm water really early in the morning. We were booked in the 'Old wing' by "Connect With Himalaya" - the reason being that Gaurav Punj and Hotel Asia have been connected for the last 6 years and Gaurav believes that this wing is 'quaint family style guest house'. It was hardly a family style hotel - Sonam Anchu was hard to reach at any given time. The bathrooms were dirty with stained toilets, grimy tiles and wash basins. In fact one of the group members bought Harpic from the market and cleaned the toilet himself. The mirror in the bathroom in our room was hanging skewed on one nail and wasn't fixed even after repeated requests. It finally fell down and broke. The bed linen was filthy and was only changed when people repeatedly complained to Gaurav Punj, sitting in Mumbai, who then finally asked Sonam Anchu to get it changed. Leh has erratic electricity, and inspite of promising power backup (when I had spoken to Sonam on the phone from Delhi), the generator was hardly ever switched on. We struggled to charge our phones and camera batteries. Sonam Anchu, in one conversation with a group member, clearly stated his preference for 'foreign' guests. Meals were not part of this trip organized by 'Connect With Himalaya', and when requested to provide some basic breakfast (which we would have paid for) for an early morning departure, Sonam Anchu conveniently forgot.
The only positive about this place was it's location and two very hardworking staff members. The convenient location meant that we could step out for our meals and find good cafes and restaurants nearby. The staff of two girls ran around and tried to clean, cook and support the guests as much as possible - but on request, and not on their own initiative.
If you would like a simple and clean place to stay, I would definitely recommend you to stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank 638BB
Asansol, West Bengal, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

during my visit 2012 summer i stayed in Asia guest house. I stayed with my family which was a wonderful experience with a very budget price. they booked my room over my telephonic request and even picked me from airport. owner is a nice person. they have running hot water in morning. but the kitchen need improvement.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Looking over the past reviews, I see I have a very different take on this place. First of all its not a B&B; its a fairly large hotel, and fairly impersonal. I stayed four nights and thought it was fine for its price range, but hardly as wonderful as others make it out to be.

First the good. The room was large, clean, and had wonderful big windows to let in light. The hotel is in a very quiet location, and on nicely kept grounds. There are a couple of nice patios to sit out on, take breakfast, etc. The price seemed fair for this sort of place; I paid Rs700 but I'm sure I could have paid Rs600 if I'd cared enough to bargain.

The bad (or anyway, less good). I was there in mid-May and the season hadn't quite started yet, so the owner hadn't turned on the hot water! (Its cold in the morning in Leh that time of year.) He did the second day I was there, when he determined there were enough guests. The room was clean, but the walls needed a coat of paint (OK, that's true of every budget hotel in India) and the furniture and mattress were torn and a bit tired-looking (ditto). Everyone on tripadvisor seems to be saying how warm and welcoming the owner is, but I didn't have that experience; I mean, he was fine, but didn't seem much concerned about me. Had to ask two or three times for small things like soap or a lock for the door (although I do carry both with me just in case) or hot water. Breakfast was the usual fare; bread, omelet, butter, and terrible jam. Also, the worst coffee I've had in India, or for that matter anywhere in the world (which is saying a lot). Just asking for coffee with breakfast drew a look that made me realize this was not something they were really set up for. If you need a fix, Dreamland Restaurant (or was it Wonderland?) down the street has excellent coffee, and Jeevan's, right next door, is nearly as good.

Location is a mixed blessing, about 15 minutes walk from the town center; its nice and quiet where the hotel is, and there are plenty of restaurants nearby as well as some agencies that set up tours and whatnot, but when the power is out (which seems to be most of the time) walking back from the central part of town at night is rather harrowing.

Overall Hotel Asia is fine for this price range, and I was torn between three stars and four. I don't ask for much at this price point, but I just felt a bit too unwelcome for four stars. Maybe things are better during high season, when everyone at the hotel is more into their job.

Room Tip: There are two blocks, the guest house and the hotel. I gather the rooms in the hotel are a bit nicer...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Noida, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Ivisited leh with my husbend and friends on 28 th april 2012 to 4 th may 2012.We stayed at Hotel Asia for 5 days. Our stay was just amazing. The hospitality extended by the owner Mr.Sonam Anchu is at its best and he took excellent care of guests with all smiles. Also, the staff are very disciplined and very well co operative. They are trying to provide all the facilities we want. And the budget of the hotel is very good and reasonable.They also provide hot water in morning.

Room Tip: we stayed at room no 301 and 302. The location of these room are excellent!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
hyderabad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

I visited Leh with my family on 11th of April to 17th of April 2012. We stayed at Hotel Asia for four days. Our stay was just amazing. The hospitality extended by the owner Mr.Sonam Anchu is at its best and he took excellent care of guests with all smiles. Also, the staff are very disciplined and very well co operative. I have no words to express the taste of food which they served us. They served us hot ladakhi rotis with mouth watering dishes. Believe me or not, they used to serve us 2 to 3 variety of dishes every day and none of the dish was repeated in our entire stay. Here, one should note that the season has not started and at this point of time also, they served us such a wonderful and mouth watering dishes means, entire credit goes to Mr Sonam Anchu. Hotel rates are also economic and affordable and to my surprise, here you get 24 hours hot ( boiling ) water and they have a very good boiler system which serves guests 24 hours a day. We have fallen in love with the heater they provided in rooms ( runs with gas ), which makes you hotter within no time. It was like enjoying camp fire at your room itself. It is very nice to see thru’ your room snow filled mountains and water flown in canal just in front of you. They have fresh vegetable garden at hotel premises, from which they grab fresh vegetables and make dishes and serve to guests. The rooms are clean, spacious & very comfortable. I love to come again to ladakh and love to stay again at Hotel Asia. I have no hesitation to recommend this hotel, since throughout my stay I haven’t seen any negative point in this hotel. An amazing stay at the most beautiful place of the world – ramesh miyyapuram ( Mob : 9849019380 )

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family