Silver Cloud Guest House
Orbitz.com
$65
$92
TripAdvisor
All reviewshis wifeoff seasonguest houseprayer wheelsthe ownertraditional ladakhihot watermarkha valleyminute walkmint teawonderful guesthousequiet areahome away from homeevery eveningwonderful staybeautiful gardenlocal family
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Had a fantastic experience visiting here in June. Sonam was helpful and friendly. The house and landscaping are simply beautiful, and the view stunning.

I had just arrived in India and was tagging along with some new friends, so had no idea what to expect. Whatever expectations I did have were completely blown away.

Sadly, I think I've left it too late; since I'm not big on cold weather, I probably won't make it back before I leave India.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
17  Thank bigjoec
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My friend and I spent a lot of time indoors at this guesthouse because I was as sick as a dog from the altitude (clearly I come from lowland-dwelling stock). I can't think of anywhere better to spend the time if you're feeling a bit woozy from the altitude!

The house is cleverly designed to retain the heat of the sunlight; the rooms (and rest of the house) were clean and charmingly decorated; and the family who run it were incredibly helpful and kind. Sonam and his wife provided excellent, responsive service even though we were staying out of season when their staff numbers were reduced. Sonam helped us arrange for trips to various attractions and was flexible when we had to cancel or change our plans due to weather or sickness. I decided coffee helped and they hauled thermoses of hot water to our room every morning to help me achieve caffeination.

The guesthouse is a little way out of the town centre, but it's an easy walk -- maybe 15 minutes? -- and a taxi ride between the guesthouse and town centre is 100 rs. (In any case I'm not sure there are any guesthouses which are more central.) The guesthouse can provide breakfast and dinner (I think they charge extra for dinner but not breakfast, but don't quote me on that). Breakfast is simple: some form of bread, butter, lovely local apricot jam, cheese, tea, and an omelette if you want one. (No coffee, but if you're addicted like me you can ask for water and add it to your instant coffee.) Dinners are vegetarian and consist of nice homecooked food.

The only negative impression I came away with was due to the unseasonably cold weather -- obviously not something the guesthouse owners had any control over. The only heating available, besides the retained heat of the sunshine, was a gas heater that stunk a bit, and we were advised not to have it on when we were sleeping. We had some pretty cold nights! As a another guest mentions, out of season piped hot water is not available, so you wash with buckets of hot water. I was fine with that and am not sure it would be different anywhere else.

So do visit and stay at Silver Cloud, but if like me you are better adapted to warm weather than cold (my ancestors must have been *tropical* lowland stock), bring plenty of warm clothes to wrap up in if you're not coming at the height of summer. All in all it was a fabulous experience visiting Ladakh, and Sonam, his family and his lovely guesthouse are a big part of my pleasant memories of the trip.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
14  Thank WZCho
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stay in Silver Cloud in Leh during 6 nights in October 2012 with 2 of my friends. We felt like if we were at home. We eat excellent meal for breakfast and diner. It is just little out of the center of Leh so it feel very quiet. The room are very nice and the one in the front have nice balcony with great view. The family is very nice and they want us to feel comfortable at any time. I would recommend to anybody at anytime. Olivier Beaulieu

Room Tip: Room on the front side are warmer but they are more expensive. Room on the back are very verygood for the price.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
16  Thank obeaulieu
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This guest house give´s you the spirit of Ladakh and the comfort and hospitality you are used to , if you are western. Sonam Dumbang and his family are deeply in the roots of Ladakh and buddhism and the local traditions, and so is their house. Also they are educated and know very well the needs of people from abroad. Especially if you might have problems with the height of the Himalaya ( 3500 m above sea level in Leh) they will take good care of you and help you with advice and freshly made vegetable soup from their own big garden. Freshly harvested and very helpful. Sonam will also help you to organize all your trips and what you want to do. Their family has a lot of contacts all over Ladakh and Zanskar and you can trust them.
The rooms are perfect and more than worth the price. You sleep in traditional built Ladakhi rooms, with the comfort of a western Hotel. Attached bathroom and so on......
If you ask me, the best choice of a guest house in Leh. Much better then most of the Hotels in Leh. I can say this, because I am travelling to Ladakh and Zanskar every year since 15 years.
P.S.:
Of course they is no tv, but people travelling to Ladakh usually don´t want TV and telephone ;-)

Room Tip: Ask Sonam Dumbang for the superior room in the first floor, with veranda and view all over Leh. There are three rooms like this. But all the other rooms are good, of course with different view and may be no, or small veranda.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
17  Thank magnolio1
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was immediately drawn to this guesthouse from Alistair Sawday's book on "Special Places to Stay in India" and glad I followed my instinct because my week there was truly a memorable experience. It is located a little away from the bustling town (20 mins walk), surrounded by a beautiful flower and vegetable garden. The view of the Himalayas at all times of the day is perfect from this gentle refuge in Leh. The architecture (designed by the wonderful owner) is wonderful, the rooms clean, comfortable and cosy. Every evening you get to eat simple but extremely delicious Indian and Tibetan food that comes straight from the garden. The atmosphere there is homely and really relaxed. The wonderful staff and service is excellent and I highly recommend checking out this out of the way magical haven...within the heaven that is Leh....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends