“Great stay at Shoda”
other travelers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Angus H
“Great stay at Shoda”
Reviewed July 25, 2018 for a stay in June 2018
people found this review helpful

My partner and I stayed at Shoda Palace either side of our Kashmir Great Lakes Trek.

Nasir is a fantastic host. He knows the local area and surrounding mountains and towns very well, and is more than happy to help you organise day trips and tell you about Srinagar and it's history.

The staff assisting him are very accommodating, and his mother's cooking is amazing! This coupled with the quiet spot the houseboat occupies makes Shoda Palace a homely and relaxing place to stay.

I should also add that the interiors and timber work on the boat are a sight in themselves.

liammathe...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A fantastic experience”
Reviewed April 24, 2018 for a stay in March 2018
person found this review helpful

Houseboat Shoda Palace is one of those places you sometimes dare to dream of. The setting is extraordinarily beautiful and peaceful, being that little bit further from the bustle of Srinagar city while at the same time easy and convenient - actually a real pleasure paddling to and from (less than 10min in a shikara). The houseboat is splendid in the real sense but also very homely and atmospheric - we loved it! Nasir couldn't have been more welcoming, helpful and willing to please and we left with feeling of genuine freindships made. I should also say that his mother is an excellent chef and I would highly recommend opting for evening meals on the boat not least to experience a real mix of Kashmiri cooking in such idyllic surroundings. I know that it is very difficult to choose from the many houseboat stays on offer and I can say that I spent a great deal of time deciding on the Shoda Palace before we booked. Did we make a good choice? - I can say hand on heart that we most certainly did. The Shoda Palace, its location, the facilities, the food and just as importantly Nasir were all quite simply brilliant.

Your age range 35-49
margaret...
Sydney, Australia
“Enchanting experience”
Reviewed July 21, 2017 for a stay in July 2017

As a solo female traveler, independent but still needing to consider my safety and ease of travel, I would award top of the list of holiday destinations least at home overseas to houseboatshodapalace houseboat shoda palace dal lake, Srinagar in the vale of Kashmir with knowledge that welcoming family will be at the airport to supply transport, first by car & then over the lake by shikara,tension fizzles out in the plane seat. A warm welcome is assured, the cuisine is home-cooked, fresh delicately special to suit individual taste,nothing seems to be a problem,Glassy dal lake is unique place where British built ornate houseboat because they where attracted to the climate, scenery but not permitted to buy land,The houseboat which belonged to the shoda family for generations is one of the most authentic with its interacted carving mosaic cedar ceiling and 1930s furniture how complete with modern facilities, I would recommend it at the any time of year in spring the nearby tulips field along with frothy white almond blossom. Summer brings huge pink lotus to the lake every thing is green, while in autumn the giant chinar(maple) trees flame in russet shades. In winter there is a starkness of detail in the willows poplar beside the lake and snow on the surrounding jagged mountains.In 6 times visit I have yet to recall the attractions,There are 500 years old Persian gardens designed by the Mughal where banks of fountains still play amid feraced displays of superb roses and formal pavilions.You can b swished gently over the lake by the heart-shaped paddle of shikara or just sit watch( maybe try to paint) the changing hues of the most scenic and fily- fragrant lake, marvel at the richeness of bird life hear the self splashing scuffling of water birds in the lilies, the herons fishing, the call of kingfishers & kites and clam to contended twittering of small birds. Wonder if you have accidentally drifted into the Arabian nights, and prepare to return often. It's of course the ideal break in the dreaded jet-leg route from Europe to Australia and guaranteed (by me) to work

Boothtel
Fleet, United Kingdom
“Great Location, excellent service, highly recommended!”
Reviewed June 4, 2017 for a stay in May 2017
people found this review helpful

The Srinagar house boat market is a bit of a mine field with allegedly over 800 to choose from, and having picked Shoda Palace from all of those on offer we were hopeful that we had made the right decision. And indeed we did. Nasir, an immensely helpful and accommodating host, fetched us from the airport and discussed our weekends travel plans en route to the Ghats of Dal Lake. From there we were taken through the back waters of the lake to Houseboat Shoda Palace, away from the hustle and bustle of the roadside houseboats and deep into the tranquil waters. A mere 20 minutes sedate shikara ride to our floating weekends retreat we were blissfully away from all traffic noise, close proximity to other houseboats and welcomed by uninterrupted views across the lake to the distant mountains, the vistas only interrupted by locals carrying out daily chores or a variety of migratory and domestic birds going about their business.
The house boat itself exceeded our expectations with the pictures on the website not doing it full justice. The lounge and dining area resplendent in lush heritage furniture made a resounding first impression; the en-suite triple room capacious.
Breakfasts were perhaps a little basic but the evening meals were home-cooked delights - a pleasant change from restaurant food - all made from the freshest ingredients from the morning markets. Even snacks and teas were aimed at providing Kashmiri specialities for us to try and the timings for the meals was always flexible based around our days schedule.
We did two day trips from Srinagar, to Gulmarg and to Sonamarg, with Nasirs help and advice. Both were reasonable priced and the drivers were punctual and helpful.
All in all our stay exceeded our expectations, Nasir was an excellent host and I would recommend Shoda Palace based on its location, comfort of the houseboat and the level of service that Nasir provides.

Sukrit K
“Simply Splendid”
Reviewed June 19, 2016 for a stay in June 2016
person found this review helpful

I don't know if I'm good enough with words to elaborate upon my experience at Shoda but if I have to capture our stay of 3 nights in a phrase it would have to be "simply splendid".

Might I tell you, the houseboat is 55 years old and the furniture in there even older for that matter. It resembles that of a time right after the Victorian era. It adds well to an ambience that takes you to a different day and age; perhaps to calmer times and if you're looking for a break or a quick getaway from a fast paced life, this is the place to be. Right from the view from the house boat to the way they have decorated and maintained the whole place is soothing on the eyes.

Allow me to thank Mr Nasir and his staff for the amazing hospitality. My family and I decided to take the trip to Srinagar on an impromptu basis without having the time to plan it meticulously but Mr Nasir's advice upon our arrival ensured a great holiday.

They provided us with all the basic and necessary amenities and services, right from the driver Aarshid to pick us up and drive us around Srinagar, Pehelgam, and Gulmarg, to the shikara we would take to reach the houseboat and even the suggestions of places we could dine at during our day trips. They (including Aarshid the driver) are honest and wise with their advice as we got the best of deals; whether it be purchasing kesar or dry fruits or renting gum boots to trek on Aparwath or even while negotiating a deal with horse lenders at Pehelgam.

They'd even tell us the places we should visit and what we could avoid as they won't be worth our time. I'd advise picking Mr Nasir's brains before your arrival to ensure a well planned trip as I'm sure he'll do a great job given the brilliant manner in which he helped us plan and manage our impromptu trip.

The food, oh my the food! Right from the dum aloos to the Kashmeeri rajmas to even the succulent poha or upma they serve you for breakfast with tea, coffee, or kahwa whatever you prefer, are all made in a home cooked fashion and at no point did we feel like we were eating at a cafe or a restaurant. It felt like we'd been invited for a meal as guests and the superb setting of their dining place ensured a home like environment.

Sipping your morning brew as the sun rays, smoothened by the surrounding mountains and clouds, hit the deck as you replenish your aura with the greens surrounding you, are just what you need to recharge your batteries; and that by the way is just the beginning of your day.

The rooms are spacious and airy and the attached washrooms come with hot water and bath tubs attached. All this on a houseboat is quite impressive, I must say. The staff is particular with regard to maintaining cleanliness and providing timely service.

The simple fact that they ensured a great stay and services during the month of Ramadan only adds to the extremely successful impression they make with their commitment towards their guests.

Again, thank you for the simply splendid stay.

Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 25-34
Hoa D
“Best luxury palace in town”
Reviewed June 1, 2016 for a stay in May 2016

I have stayed at Shoda palace for 1 week. its such a wonderful and memorable time. I love the room decoration, warm and luxury, very neat and clean. Their homemade food is very delicious, Im addicted it. The service is professional, the owner is very handsome and friendly. He guided me to many beautiful places of Srinagar, I had experienced normal life of kashmir citizen, especially the sunrise and sunset on the lake is amazing. i definitely would like to come back this lovely and peaceful place again.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Solo
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
darkydoor...
Melbourne, Australia
“Superb hospitality and an authentic Kashmiri experience”
Reviewed May 23, 2016 for a stay in April 2016
person found this review helpful

I stayed at HB Shoda Palace with my daughter for 2 weeks. The hospitality of Nasir and his family were nothing short of superb, going over and beyond what we could have ever expected. Meals were delicious, nutritious and the atmosphere delightful. We arrived jetlagged and exhausted and were looked after like family. Our day trips from hiking the highlands to exploring the old city and ancient ruins were effortlessly organised, making this a very attractive holiday.
There is nothing quite like the peaceful ambience of Dal lake and Shoda Palace is located away from the crowds in arguably one of the best spots on the lake. Adorned with generations of antiquities and family heirlooms you cant get better than this authentic Kashmiri experience!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: hospitality and location
Liked least: We didnt stay long enough
Traveling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing