“Exciting and picturesque ride”

Jaipur, India
“Exciting and picturesque ride”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

The road is a two lane road with all weather connectivity but may get interrupted during extreme snow fall. Generally the connectivity gets broken near Jawahar Tunnel. The region from Jammu to Banihal is hilly after which you get to see the majestic Kashmir valley for the first time. But after entering the valley slowly you start getting the feel of any other routine part of country. But the apple orchids are a must visit and during peak season the price of apple can fall as low as to rs 15 a kg. Even bad looking apples are so juicy that you will forget any damn taste of the world. Also the ride from Srinagar to Sonamarg is highly recommended along the banks of river sind. Mindblowing.

Visited September 2013

• Indonesian first
New Delhi, India
“Kashmir Valley Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

Kashmir Valley in India is well known as heaven on Earth. Many times I visited Kashmir and I love the place and its natural beauty, snow covered mountain peaks, natural waterfalls, lakes specially Gulmarg in Srinagar. I recommend Kashmir for honeymoon tour, place you must visit. Enjoy Kashmir.

Visited July 2014
New Delhi, India
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Red Carpet Welcome to Kashmir”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

This was during the '90s. Although etched in memory as a reality forever, it is a wishful thought that the reality continues as in the memory.

We crossed the Jawahar Tunnel in a bus, in what seemed to take an eternity to cross. We had not traveled through a longer tunnel ever before, before entering this tunnel. It was more than 5 kms long, if I remember right. As we moved out of the tunnel in to Kashmir, a cool breeze hit us.

We felt Kashmir!

As we move further on the road, we saw roadside boards and one of them said that we would now get the first view of Kashmir Valley. And in a moment, we did. It was one of the most breathtaking vistas. Here, once again, the seer, seeing and the seen merged. Bliss. Period.
We continued to absorb the bliss and a few turns on, we could see the road that we were treading on, making a run across the valley of Kashmir. The road was lined with Chinar Trees. In Autumn season, Chinars turn Red. So, actually, the road was not as visible as the Red Chinars that covered the road from both the sides.

It seemed the Kashmir valley was giving us a Red Carpet Welcome!

Visited August 2013
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Mughal Road is picturesque but it connects Srinagar to Rajauri NOT Jammu directly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

This year the road opened for traffic on 3rd Jun. The alignment is GENERALLY along the Old Mughal Trade Route and hence the name. Since it has been constructed (in full) only three years ago, the usual eye sours like biscuit and chips wrappers and empty bottles of soft drinks are thankfully not so common. The road itself is good and what a drive it is!!!! You can see the ruins of Aliabad and Sokh 'Sarais' from the road as also the clear alignment of the Old route. The drive from Srinagar is like any other road till Shupiyan (first 90 mins) but from there till the the Pir Gali it is simply superb (2 hr:30 mins). Once you start getting down towards Rajauri it is just ok (almost 2 hours). For the tourists who are driving their own vehicles from Srinagar to Jammu, doing this route is'nt a bad idea- Sri- Pir Gali- Rajauri- Jammu is about 325 kms and will take 10 hours as against 295 kms and 8 hours by the direct route.

Visited June 2014
Kent
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Jammu to Srinagar”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

I wanted to travel from Jammu to Srinagar on the Friday 21st March. I arrived at Jammu station at 6.30am from Amritsar and then started asking about Sumo/Jeep to share to Srinagar. Was told by several drivers that no vehicles were being allowed to travel north only south from Srinagar due to landslides/snow. This came as quite a shock as nowhere in planning my trip did I see mentioned that the road can be closed in March. I realise that Kashmir has had severe weather this winter but because of this I had to stay in a hotel another night and travel the next day when only vehicles going north were allowed.
I would strongly urge anyone thinking of travelling by road to find out in advance the weather conditions. For Westerners I would suggest going by plane - sure its more expensive (£60) but you get there in 40 mins without a completely numb backside and all the hassle! My journey took 12 hrs by Jeep and cost 750 rupees.

Visited March 2014