“Home Away from Home”

Golden Hopes Group Of Houseboats
Ranked #41 of 574 Specialty Lodging in Srinagar
“Home Away from Home”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

I visited this houseboat in the month of November. After arriving this houseboat I felt I am at my own home specially staying at the family atmosphere was great. Tariq and his cauzen Jhon they both have great knowledge about Srinagar they helped me to hire a car for cheaper then taxi stands and I was able to see lots of places in Kashmir. I already start to think in summer I am going to come back Srinagar.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bauru, null, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This houseboat is really amazing.
When I came, I was supposed to stay just few days but I stayed almost a month, because I loved here.
The place is beautiful and calm, the people are very lovely, and it is sure that they will do everything for your stay here be perfect. I made great friends here that I will keep forever. Tariq is very professional and he became a very good friend.
I also did the trekking at the Himalayas, and it was one of the most amazing experience in my life.
Staying at this houseboat and the trekking are a unique experience that everybody should do at least once in life

Room Tip: If you come here, do the trekking at the Himalayas with Tariq, he is really an excellent guide.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Regiane G
New Delhi, India
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We crossed the pristine Dal Lake on a nippy October morning to be greeted by Tariq and his brother at this lovely houseboat. The location of the houseboat is quite lovely as it is situated right in front of the lotus lake and though we were in the wrong season for the lotuses nonetheless it was wonderful to be there. Also, it is tucked in a quieter corner of the massive Dal Lake which really helps!
The rooms were nice and warm but they are a bit old and are in need of some care and woodwork, Bathrooms were at the most functional. I think this was one of the older houseboats and it would have been better if we could have been moved to a newer none.
Tariq, the ownwr of the houseboat is quite knowledgeable and is very helpful. He gave us very good advice and tips which came in handy during our whole tour,
Breakfast was a sorry affair - at least on day 1 - the breads wre stodgy and these could have been toasted well. The next day we ordered eggs which were better. Dinner was indeed good. we ordered 'Gushtaba' and it was very nice (however, if one explores there are numerous corners in Kashmir where one can enjoy amazing Kashmiri Wazwan including Gustaba) though a bit pricey.
We stayed for one night at the houseboat and most of the day was spent in site-seeing. The beds were very very cosy and so we had a lovely relaxing good night's sleep which was necessary for our next say sojourn to Pahalgam.
Overall, a good experience!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anweshaa G
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We arrived at Golden Hopes Houseboats on a shikara, across the part of Dal Lake that is full of houseboats, and we were pleased to find that ours was tucked away from the busy areas, with views over a water garden of beautiful pink lotus flowers and the hill fort in the distance. For the price, I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of accommodation. I had a large, comfortable double room with an en suite bathroom (shower/bath/basin/mirror and Western-style toilet) and slept like a log for both nights - it's lovely and peaceful. There was also a porch at the front to sit out on and watch the world go by, with spectacular sunsets right ahead, and an indoor living room with TV and dining room.

The food on the boat was really good - especially the evening meals. And our hosts, Ray and Tariq, were both friendly and helpful, and found us a good driver at a good price, to take us on our trip up into the hills and back. They also organised shikara rides for us, with a very experienced and friendly boat man, Khadir, who took us all over the place, including to Hazratbal on the other side of the lake, and to an early morning floating vegetable market, which was great for photos.

We could have done with a little more space to ourselves to chat and read in the evenings,perhaps, but really I couldn't fault the place. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Helen T
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2013

i stayed in this houseboat for around one week.the houseboat and its furnishings have original kashmiri wooodcarving and handicrafts work giving it an exquisite touch of artwork.i experienced the genuie and traditional kashmiri hospitality during my entire stay in the houseboat.i got promo fares for my booking and the fares were simply value for money ; a royal class accomodation and service in this budget has never been heard of by me before.The rooms , attached toilets /bathrooms are very clean and there is provision for hot as well as cold water.There is on call boat service which can take you to the market inside the lake or to the roadside on a nominal charge.There is also boat service which shows you around the lake for which hourly charges are as per government rate and discount can be negotiated.In short , being a kashmiri myself i would definately recommed you to stay a few days in this houseboat with your family and also advise you for advance booking to avail of promo fares.

Room Tip: i advise you to book well in advance to avail promo fares on internet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Sanjeev K
Kohima, India
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Me and my wife had a homely experience during our stay in this houseboat during December 2012... Its purely value for money.. You cannot have better facilities and services at such a reasonable rate in entire Kashmir... Great Place... and we must mention about the owner... Mr. Tariq... You have done a great job... Keep it up... Next time when we will visit Srinagar, surely we will stay at your houseboat...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dhruba42
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed July 15, 2013

the houseboat was excellent value for money.clean and homely.home cooked meals provided and our host ray was available at all times to take care of our needs.trips to mountains and other sightseeing places/airport pick up and drop off were organised by ray at a reasonable cost.boat situated in a quieter part of the lake surrounded by lotus flowers and the mountains and this was great to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature.thanks ray for a wonderfuland memorable stay can't wait for our next visi

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo