“Heaven on Earth!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Young Alzira Group of House Boats.

Young Alzira Group of House Boats.
Ranked #21 of 323 Srinagar B&B and Inns
Hoi An, Vietnam
“Heaven on Earth!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I headed to Delhi with no plans. However, Shafi really helped me out with a great escape to Srinagar. I got a bus from Delhi to Srinagar (which I would recommend - views are amazing).
Staying on the house boat was a real dream. Waking up surrounded by beautiful scenery and excellent service. I didn't want to leave.
I would happily recommend this to anyone. Heaven on Earth! Whatever you hear about Kashmir in regards to danger, is complete rubbish. I felt very safe and comfortable.
Also, try some trekking, if that's your thing. I will never forget some of the sights I witnessed in Kashmir.

Room Tip: Listen to Shafi!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Staying on the Young Alzira for 2 weeks was without a doubt the highlight of our 5 week trip to india. I can't say enough good things about the people and our time here.

Mr Bashir and his staff (Noora, Salim, Kaliq, Shabir, Omar) were fantastic, friendly, kind and wonderful to deal with and be around.Their service and advice was impecable. Mr Bashir helped us arrange our time in Kasmir with a variety of day treks to: Gypsie Valley, Yusmarg, Kashmir Valley, the Mughal Gardens and aLotus Lake Tour. He also arranged a 2 night 3 day trek in Sonmarg which was amazing. His staff set us up in a beautiful tent in the most amzing spot near the base of a glacial mountain. Kaliq cooked amazing Kashmiri dinners.

The food cooked by the staff is hands down the best food I have ever eaten. Totally fresh and no preservatives. We did not get sick here unlike Delhi and Rajasthan.

Everything except internet/beer/bottled water and a tip at the very end was included. (Unlike the rest of our trip where people kept hasling us despite paying up front)

When I arrived at the house boat I had the worst chest infection. Mr Bashir helped me to get some really good cough medicine for it which worked a treat.

Despite the Australian Smart Traveller saying not to travel to Kashmir we felt completely safe the whole time. I would not hesitate to return here on our next visit to India/Kashmir.

We booked our trip through a travel agent in Delhi but I would recommend contacting Mr Bashir directly to book time here to save yourself some money.
Link: http://www.travel-library.com/accommodations/asia_pacific/india/srinagar/house_boat_young_alzira.html
(NB - The pictures don't do it justice.)

Other highlights of the house boat and time here include:
- Relaxing on the houseboat roof top looking out over the lake/mountains and watching eagles soar.
- Seeing Kashmirs almond, willow, apple, pear, rice fields agricultural industry
- The Kashmiri tea made with Cardamon, Safron, Cinnamon, Sugar is AMAZING!
- Shabir's driving is great - we felt so safe : ) (Other drivers in india made us nervous)
- Awesome Trout Fishing (unfortunately we ran out of time to do this)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I arrived in Kashmir after an extremely chaotic but fun time in India and were hoping for a more peaceful and relaxing time in Kashmir before heading home to Australia, which was exactly what we got. We were greeted by Bashir Shallah who owns the houseboat and his wonderful staff - Shabir, Noorah, Kalika, Salim and his son Omar who were the friendliest and warmest people we had met throughout our whole trip. Their helpfulness and service was truly amazing. Bashir was also so generous in allowing us to complete a Himalayan Trek as well as heaps of day trips (highlights being the Lotus Boat Tour, Kashmir Valley and Lake Wallah in Sopore) that we honestly didn't think we were going to be able to do with the little money we had left, but he was so kindhearted he worked something out for us. We were in Kashmir for 12 days and this still wasn't enough time. I loved every minute of it and I actually cried when I left because I loved the people so much!
Also, after having a few tummy upsets in places like Delhi and Varanasi due to food, it was such a relief to eat the beautiful Kashmiri food the Shallah family prepare from the freshest ingredients! And the quantities of food we got were HUGE!
We would also recommend a Himalayan Trek because we had the best time and I don't think I have ever seen a more beautiful place. We can't wait to go back and do it all again next year!
Feel free to email me on sarahbella82@gmail.com for any more details!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful but the honeymoon suite is AMAZING!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah E
Amstelveen, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I arrived in kashmir with a really bad delhi belly, but fortunately the people of young alzira helped me to the doctor and after a couple of days i got better. Later on i did some sightseeing under guidance of Bashir, which was really nice. I saw the moghul gardens, did the lotus tour, went mountain trekking, etc.. The food was excellent, and the service (especially by Khalik) was wonderful. The boat itself was pretty luxurious and had a lot of hot water. The view from off the houseboat was wonderful aswell, as it was located on the middle of the lake. Swimming from the houseboat was a good option in the (relative) clean lake.

Room Tip: the rooms are pretty much the same, but if you're lucky you will get the honeymoon room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ruben J
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Kashmir was the highlight of my recent trip to India, and the people at the Young Alzira were responsible for my amazing visit. The food and service far exceed my expectations. I was treated with unbelievable warmth and kindness. The trekking in the Himalayas that the folks at the Young Alzira organized for my group was incredible. An experience that I will carry with me for a lifetime!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank M W
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

The staff at Young Alzira was absolutely helpful. They set us up in the in the "Honeymoon" Room free of charge, which is decorated with gorgeous woodwork, like the rest of the boat. The location on the lake in Srinagar is perfect as well. The Young Alzira is located in the middle of the lake, where cool breezes flow through the porch and roof. The view of the lake and surrounding mountains are amazing - I highly recommend eating breakfast on the roof if possible.

Young Alzira is very much a family business. Shafi Shalla, a travel agent based in Delhi, booked our room. As soon as we landed in Srinagar we were well taken care of by the Shalla family, which has managed houseboats for several generations. Also, the lake provides for great swimming, and a tour of the Moghul history is a mere boat-ride away. The staff at Young Alzira are very knowledgeable and professional - we felt safe and well taken care of the whole time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sparksaj11
New Delhi, Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

We spent 2 nights at Young Alzira House Boat on 20 & 21 June 2012.

We had reached Sri Nagar on 19 Jun 10 pm and rested in a Hotel.
Next morning we searched Houseboats on Shikara. But all the House Boats shown to us were old or expensive. We were not agree to accept such Boats or pay such high prices.

On the way back, the Shikara Owner offered us 8 Points full ride for Rs.1000. We counter offered him Rs. 1100 and asked him to show us the cream at low prices.

Then he directly took us to Open Dal Lake (always search House Boat there). The House Boat was Young Alzira. When we entered it, we were got lost in the superb designing in the Living Room. It was a newly built Boat. All the walls and Roofs were embedded with Wooden Art. There were 3 Bedrooms there. 2 Deluxe and 1 Suite.

Rooms were good example of Kashmiri Architechture. Bathrooms were well equiped with all modern amenities and Bath Tub.

Night sleep was very comfortable. When I woke up next morning, I climbed upstairs. The view was very eye catching. Sun was rising from North and a mist was spread on Dal Lake.

The Attendant was very Polite and served us well. He told us that the this House Boat is very Expensive and only Foreigners stay here. He also give us transit on our leave.

I want to give many thanks to Owners and Staff of Young Alzira for this wonderful experience on my first trip to Kashmir.

Whenever I will revisit Sri Nagar, I will definitely stay in this Houseboat again.

Room Tip: If you want to get Superb House Boat in your pocket, always search House Boat in Open Dal Lake. Don...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family