“A wonderful Experience”

Ranked #5 of 133 Hotels in Srinagar
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“A wonderful Experience”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had a wonderful experience staying there right after Eid. The beautiful hotel is situated on top of a hill from where the view of the city by the lake is breathtaking especially from the premium rooms. The sight of the dal surrounded by hills far away would make you lounge in the verandah for long. Everything in that hotel right from check in, room service, buggy service, etc. was great other than the Latitude Restaurant where the service was very slow to my experience. The swimming pool overlooks the same scenery to act as a stress buster in a great way. The staff was extremely courteous and easy. Private security was posted at every corner of the property and one would have to go through 3 screening before gaining entry to the hotel. Such safety measure, to my estimation, is fantastic. The fitting, finishing and cleanliness of the room is screamed a Taj signature other than the lobby area which I personally didn't like as just didn't fit in somehow.

There was one occasion where I had walked out of the restaurant as they failed to serve my fish and chips beyond an hour of placing my order. However, they made it up by apologizing, sending the food to my room and provided complimentary desert. On the rest of the days, food took about 20min to 30 min from the time I placed an order at the Latitude restaurant. However, breakfast was excellent at the Latitude restaurant. The Chinese restaurant was far more efficient in service and the food was good.

Despite being overpriced, one would ignore that for a very good time at the hotel.

Room Tip: Go for premium rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Tokyo
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Extremely courteous but unreliable staff. Beautiful room with bathtub. Food is so so. Quite expensive for what it offers. Gym has no sign on it. Got up at 6am in the morning to watch sunrise on Dal Lake and saw crows eating leftover food in the lawn.

Sense and sensibility very Indian...not yet up to the international 5-star standard.

Very happy that didn't stay in Dal Lake boat.

Go out of Sri Nagar if you want to enjoy Kashmir. Absolutely fabulous place, avoid the tourist spots.

Will stay here again since no other choice !!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this beautiful property in the second week of August. Unfortunately almost entire Srinagar was shut due to Eid so it gave us plenty of time to enjoy the property. Dal Lake view from hotel is beautiful, rooms are huge, beds comfortable and the service is fantastic. The hotel and housekeeping staff made our stay extra special by decorating our room with flowers and cake everyday on account of our anniversary. Though I just wish that the food (both in terms of quality and taste) was bit better which would have made our experience perfect!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PATIALA
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed recently with my family ( wife and 2 daughters) at Vivanta By Taj Srinagar, from July 2 to 6 2013. Like all other stays at a Taj property, we had a warm welcome, including a welcome drink, and "showing around" our room, which is the norm at Taj, we were happy to note that the "discounted package" was pointed out to us before we started our stay. This made my job easier, since i intended to remind them anyway. As promised, we were charged accordingly, and in fact i was promptly refunded the excess amount , into my account ( since i had made excess advance payment). The room was beautiful, the view was excellent, since the hotel is perched on a small hillock near the Dal lake. Me and my wife are health freaks, so we had a gala time using their gym, and their beautifully "manicured" lawns and "winding paths" for long walks. We were joking amongst ourselves, that this area is so beautiful that it should be included in the "city attractions " of Srinagar. The restaurant offered mouth watering delicacies and was able to maintain the high standards expected from an organization like Taj. Most of the managerial staff are english speaking, from good families, and i was a little disturbed to see wealthy ill mannered "businessmen" first treating them like dirt, and then reacting to their curt behavoiur. As far as I was concerned, being from a humble background and mediocre beginnings, I value a person's hard work and professionalism..... Maybe that reflected in my behaviour, and my simple , respectful attitude was rewarded with "extra" pampering, and wonderful service. I want to take this opportunity to thank all the staff members, from the lowest to the highest, for making our stay so memorable ...... The readers can guage how memorable it was by the fact that my daughters remember the hotel compound more than the "tourist" places of Srinagar. Will recommend to everyone, and will definitely stay there again, if i was ever to visit Sringar again.

Room Tip: All rooms offer a fantastic view, and it really does not matter, where you are put up. However, sinc...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RajanShonek
new york
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Recently had a four night stay here in a premium room, which was enormous with an enormous bathroom. The property is contemporary and very well situated to take maximum benefits of the stunning Lake and Mountain views.
Food was average at the hotel's restaurants but breakfasts were quite lavish and good.
Well meaning service by friendly and helpful staff who always seem to want to please. Even if they miss a few things, their winning attitude prevails and makes every interaction pleasant.
The night duty manager Faizan deserves special mention for his courtesy and graciousness...a true professional who understands hospitality.
Would strongly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Premium rooms higher up on the hill have best views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The great thing about the hotel is its location, high on a hill overlooking the lake. The Taj group have a lot of hotels, some are superb however I think this is in the average category. The rooms are large and pleasant. The hotel is located outside Srinagar up a hill by itself in as much for security I suppose. You cannot just walk out the hotel and into the town, this would be quite a trek.
We found the food good, there is an excellent Sikh chef who made us lovely meals. I have looked at the other negative comments and I can only assume that they have improved their act as we found the restaurant far more pleasing than other comments.
Our only issue was the pool which was full of algae and green. When we asked about this, we were told it was the green bottom. No its not. We have a pool at home and ours went green due to the same reason and it took me about 3 days to correct it. I tried to explain what the problem was however I am not sure how much sunk in - they may have cracked it by the time others get there.
There is not really very much for children to do I think. We travelled as a family of four with 2 sons aged 21 and 19 so this was not an issue. I think I would struggle with a young family here as it is very much an adult type environment I thought.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Excellent property facing Dal lake. Lovely sit out area available in room. The rooms size are exceptionally good. Easily 2-3 people can accommodate in the same room. Parents who are planning to take out their young ones on a holiday will be happy to see a huge room and a lovely garden outside their room.

Food quality is very good. Great value for money food. If you don't plan to eat a lot prefer ala carte coz the buffet dinner is Rs 1700 where as a single dish would be Rs 500-600.
Swimming pool was okay not very deep or big either.

For sightseeing we had booked a taxi from hotel itself which was approx Rs1000 per day.
One day sightseeing was complimentary for us. Please whenever and where ever the taxi takes you - DO NOT FOrget to BARGAIN !!!

Room Tip: Choose a room with sit out facility.