“Heaven at Heaven - Hotel Mirage”
Review of Hotel Mirage

Hotel Mirage
Ranked #24 of 135 Hotels in Srinagar
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Best stay of my 7 days trip at Kashmir, Mr. Omer helped a lot for any requirement.
will refer all, if you visit Srinagar, try Mirage for at least for 1 night... you will come again & again..
Good food, Good amenities, Inviting Room, ample space for photo shoot (garden) & much more..

Room Tip: check blocks while booking rooms at it has 2 blocks with huge difference...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VikramSaini
omer s, General Manager at Hotel Mirage, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review.

It is always our aim to give our guests something to remember us by. For us this holds great significance. It was a pleasure and an honour to have the opportunity to serve you.

Thank you for choosing Mirage. We hope to serve you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Mirage

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I would like to out my views in points- 1. Mr. Zulfi of Mirage Hotel is a Gem of a person and never lets your demands down and is always ready to be at service. If any service is not available, it may not be due to him. 2. the staff at Mirage is really one of the most genuine we may have come across. They are ready to go out of the way to be at your service. My wife being Jain could not have the normal POHA, so she requested for Jain Poha. without any second thoughts, they made it ready within minutes. 3. Breakfast Boufet is available from 8:30 to 9:30 am and has the best variety to choose from. 4. city shuttle service is at your doorstep with special request. 5. Deluxe rooms are the best in class which can be compared to the best 4 star hotels. 6. Standard rooms are good and within budget of approx Rs.2.7k if you book them well in advance. 7. You may get hotel taxi service for any site seeing at a per day cost from the hotel itself after talking to Zulfi Saab. 8. i would also like to add a point regarding Mr. Dar, who is a senior Driver with Mirage. He is a Genuine person and is very friendly and will give you all local information to assist you know more about the city and it's surroundings. 9. don't forget to pay a tip to all the staff as they really deserve it.

Tip for visitors....
The rooms in the photos shown here may be of deluxe rooms.
if you wish to see standard room images, you may request Mr. Zulfi to mail them to you.

Tip for Hotel Management -
Standard room bathroom fittings need to be checked on a timely basis.
TV needs to be mounted at the height of the bed (space needs to be made for low height placement).
Transport Rates for hotel vehicles can be standardized at a per k/m rate as per the diesel fluctuations which will encourage visitors to hire transport facilities willingly.
If possible, on special request, a private van (Tempo) can be arranged for visitors and a city tour can be planned where visitors can pay a nominal shared charge for a day trip in and around Srinagar.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vinay P
omer s, Owner at Hotel Mirage, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Mr Vinay,

Thank you for the time taken for reviewing our Hotel. It gives us immense pleasure to know that you had a good time staying with us and were taken good care of by our staff members.
We have taken note of the things that you have shared and we are glad to let you know that our standard category rooms are being upgraded/renovated.

Thank You again for your feedback. We look forward to you visiting us again.

Regards

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I booked this hotel through booking.com , the rooms that we were given hardly resemble the photos in Tripadvisor. Did not know while checking in that there were far better hotel rooms than had been given to us.

No wooden walls as shown. No flat screen TV but a bulky older model inconveniently placed right over a table so that you WILL bump your head on the hard metallic TV stand while picking something up. No airconditioning in our room. The geyser was old and didn't work until repaired later the same day.

The only positives were the service provided by Zulfi , the manager who personally picked us up at the airport on Eid when other drivers weren't available and Anil , an all-in-one service person who provided exemplary service. Both the DRIVERS that the hotel arranged for us were below par. (One of them , I think the name is Gulzar, had the gall to ask me to share the backseat in the Innova with my wife and kid so that he could accomodate his friend in the front when picking us up from Gulmarg! Of course I politely refused and relegated his friend to the rear luggage compartment seat.) Avoid hiring a car from the hotel if you can.

Conclusion: After seeing the Tripadvisor photos just prior to writing this review , I feel cheated by the management. Management will do better if they don't try to shortchange their guests while allotting rooms.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms prior to checking in. Management will try to give you the older jaded rooms if y...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank SridharCanada
omer s, Owner at Hotel Mirage, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Mr Sridhar Rajappan from Bangalore.

As you booked your rooms through booking.com kindly refer to the reservation page of Booking.com that clearly states the difference between Standard & Deluxe room interiors with their respective room photos & amenities.
Dear guest you booked a Standard Room with us so the room that had to be allotted to you had to be Standard & Not Deluxe. One should be careful and not overlook the facts before posting a review.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

A comfortable stay. Zulfi, Bilal and Anil took good care. Budget hotel with excellent facilities. Nearby places can be visited with the hotel as a base. Their tying up with cabs is also very reliable. Overall an honest experience.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you very much for the review.

We are very pleased to know you found our services to be up to your expectations and also reasonably priced. We constantly strive to exceed our guests expectations whilst keeping prices reasonable however we do not compromise on quality.

Having you at our Hotel was a pleasure and an honour and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The houseboats, a prison for foreign tourists on Kashmiri Lake (Witnessed by Julia Zhu, chair of Emily Foundation Brussels)

I arrived in Delhi on 26th Evening, after two days sight- seeing in Delhi I want to plan a tour from North to South of India, so a taxi driver drove me on 29th Sep to an tourist office he said it is recommended by the government tourist department;

The owner of the houseboat named" Farooq Paktoon" and he advised me to start the tour from Kashmir and showed me many gorgeous photos of the houseboat life on the Dal Lake and Negin Lake; I was not quite sure at that moment so he told even more attractive programs such as the Eid festival in Kashmir and the trekking in the mountains nearby; I was asking where is good to buy a land, nice and cheap in India, he said definitely have to buy in Kashmir.

I was touched by those nice photos and agreed for a one week try; I paid 300€ in cash money and immediately got a plane ticket from Delhi to Srinagar.

In the afternoon I told I am leaving Delhi for Kashmir the hotel manager of the guest house where I was staying told me that I must have been scammed and showed me some Internet pages of the "Dal lake house boat scam" fraud.

At that moment I already realized that I may have been cheated and will have a troublesome visit to Kashmir, but according to my character I would like to investigate the truth by my own experiences so I thanked the hotel manager in Delhi and insist going to Srinagar to find out the truth.

When I arrived in airport Srinagar I noticed there is kiosk named "houseboat owner association", they were providing me the package again with very "seducing" pictures, but I said I already have a place to stay.

a car picked me up and driving to the boat, when we sited the small boat transferred to the "New lucky star houseboat" my heart was already clouded by a feeling of depression: because I realized I will be on the middle of the water in a place I don't know anyone and anywhere, then every movement I will have will be in the watch of the houseboat people and every move I will take will be followed by them...then I realized the advice from the Delhi hotel manager was NOT A JOKE.

Luckily there is an Internet connection on the boat and I had a dinner and send to my face book friends I am on the Lake of Srinagar; if something goes wrong I can let my friends to inform my situation and location in time.
The evening is coming I had my dinner it was a simple two veg dished meal and they charge extra money for drinks, such as juice and beer, I had to pay apart 700ruppes for two apple juice and one beer.

the next day the car drove me to sight- seeing and after that to the shops they introduced for carpets, art-craft......of cause I know all of the deals there is a fee of commission on the amount of the tourists bought.it happens in many other places so I didn't really take it for serious and I have been tolerant to everyone.

What really irritated me was on the 3th day, one servant of the house boat force me to buy some Kashmir tea in my room with the door closed. I diplomatically avoided to commit anything at that time but I already feel some kind of disguised; because the servant is from the mountains in Gulmarg region and I knew there doesn't produce any tea at all! And plus he was asking for 6 rupees per cram, it means 1500Ruppe for 100 gram tea!(the servant's name was Farooq, a mountain village short and thin, dark skin)

Then the owner Rachid Paktoon(brother of Farooq Paktoon) asked me in the evening after dinner to his living room and showed me the pictures of mountain trekking of 2 weeks, one week something and pushed me to join the group f trekking which I really didn't want to participated: because I was still sick and I am a woman alone, it would be risky for me to do such an adventure with all males around me in a mountain where I have no any connections with the outside world. So I refused.

I stayed on the boat the next 2 days a lot of sales people selling jewels and other handcraft things constantly came to the boat to show me everything; I bought 3 pieces of jewels which one just one week one of them was already broken.
On the 5th evening the owner in Delhi called me to ask me to wait to stay and meet him on 13th when he is back from Delhi(in order to show me a piece of very nice land close the garden ,and if I want to buy I have to buy it quickly because the price could be very soon rise up),but at that time through the people who visited me on the boat that foreigners like me even Indian citizens would have no right to purchase any land in Kashmir, so the whole package of fraud from the beginning is revealed till now! but still I was using diplomatic attitude and nice to them let them feel I still don't know nothing.

On 6th morning I packed in everything and thinking about how to leave the boat, when they saw me with all my luggage packed and waiting for leaving the houseboat after breakfast (also the breakfast on the last morning was so bad which revealed their TRUE attitude of serving)they asked me the address where I am going to, I said I am sorry cannot tell you because I am attending a meeting arranged with someone in Kashmir by a common friend from New York city to meet.

I shouted laud to the lake "Hi I need a taxi boat" 3 times and even till the last minute the servant was asking me that I still have to pay for the second day I using the car to sightseeing in the city.

I crossed the lake and took a tuktuk whet to the Coffey Arabic to meet my Friends and safely transferred to hotel Mirage where I stay another week and enjoyed my last week in Kashmir, I said to the hotel manager Mirage" here I feel like in Europe again"(the well-managed garden, the cleanness and the good service)

Here is my advice to foreign visitors to Kashmir:

A)Be aware of any travel agency who try to sell you to houseboats of Dal lake;
B)Be aware of taxi drivers of Airport Srinagar because they are in network with the houseboat owner and they will drive you and get commission from the houseboat prisons they sent you to;

C)Be Specially aware of the Kiosk at the airport "houseboat owner association" they are all cheaters, and frauds, daily searching for new victims specially foreigners to put them in their HOUSEBOAT prisons just to rape them blind!

My advice: if you want to stay in Srinagar go directly to a decent hotel where you have all your freedom and services (for example I was happy about the last hotel I stayed in Hotel Mirage with a European style).

Witnessed by Julia Zhu(chair of Emily Foundation Brussels) on 15th Oct, 2013
Srinagar, Kashmir

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank AstrologerJulia
omer s, General Manager at Hotel Mirage, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We are sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience during your stay at a Houseboat. We are however pleased to know that we were able to make the remainder of your holiday pleasant and comfortable.

We hope you will visit us again in the near future for a chance to serve you again and make your next holiday even more memorable.

Best wishes

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The taxi driver from the airport was shocked to learn we are staying there. And once we reached to the hotel we understood why. It was located in the middle of a local residential area with a school nearby and no restaurants or coffee shops. Without thinking twice, we couldn't go in and asked the taxi to take us elsewhere and I ended up losing the money paid for four nights which was nonrefundable through booking.com

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Hassaan_Abdeen
omer321, Owner at Hotel Mirage, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Mr Hassan Abdeen,

It is very difficult to judge any property without entering it. Just on the pretext of some taxi driver's story & without even entering the property as checked by the management by looking at the Hotel entry data you are writing a review.
We are not even sure which property has been shown by the taxi driver to you. Taxi drivers have their commissions with their respective properties and he has duped you by showing you the wrong property and making you stay at some property of his choice.
Dear travellers beware of such touts and do not draw any conclusions without entering the hotel and without seeing your room booked with us.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel is a real gem. It is an oasis in an otherwise bustling and hectic mountain city. While the rooms are good, and the garden courtyard delightful, the outstanding thing about this hotel is the exceptional service from all the staff. They are just amazing. Every single person we dealt with was exceptional. There were too many special things to list them all but I will mention a few. Ms Munisa is an outstanding professional. She made bookings for us, made sure that we had everything we needed and that our drivers and tour guides were well briefed and, two days after we left Mirage she was still phoning me to make sure that we were happy with the reservations she had made for us in other hotels in Leh. We could not possibly have asked for more and she exceeded every expectation I could possibly have from an hotelier.

The food during our stay was also exceptional and we enjoyed meeting Chef Dhuraj who always provided some little extra item to our meal that surprised us. One night when we were eating our dinner in the courtyard the team even built us a bonfire! Fantastic service was provided everyday by Zulfiqar (who very kindly gave us a book about Kashmir and Leh, Ladakh which was very helpful) and by Musadir. The person who looked after us the most, from carrying our bags, delivering our meals and installing a special wireless router for us was Amil, who was always trying to help us and provide service in any way possible. What was most impressive was that we only speak English - every staff member bent over backwards to understand us, and, on the rare occasion that we couldn't connect on something they found someone else who could.

I was stunned by the service and hospitality provided by the team at the Mirage.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for such a heartfelt and detailed review of our Hotel.

We are extremely grateful for your kind words and praises. We work extremely hard to ensure our guests feel at home and completely relaxed while at Mirage. Our Staff members are chosen very carefully to ensure they have a polite and helpful personality. Commercial Hotels often seem to be lacking warmth and friendliness which can ruin your holiday experience. We take your feedback very seriously and constantly strive to improve our services and make our guests more comfortable.

Thank you for choosing Mirage. We hope to see you again in the near future and we promise to make your next stay more memorable than the last.