“In the middle of a residential area near a school”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Mirage

Hotel Mirage
Ranked #18 of 129 Hotels in Srinagar
Amman, Jordan
“In the middle of a residential area near a school”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

The taxi driver from the airport was shocked to learn we are staying there. And once we reached to the hotel we understood why. It was located in the middle of a local residential area with a school nearby and no restaurants or coffee shops. Without thinking twice, we couldn't go in and asked the taxi to take us elsewhere and I ended up losing the money paid for four nights which was nonrefundable through booking.com

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Hassaan_Abdeen
omer321, Owner at Hotel Mirage, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Mr Hassan Abdeen,

It is very difficult to judge any property without entering it. Just on the pretext of some taxi driver's story & without even entering the property as checked by the management by looking at the Hotel entry data you are writing a review.
We are not even sure which property has been shown by the taxi driver to you. Taxi drivers have their commissions with their respective properties and he has duped you by showing you the wrong property and making you stay at some property of his choice.
Dear travellers beware of such touts and do not draw any conclusions without entering the hotel and without seeing your room booked with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel is a real gem. It is an oasis in an otherwise bustling and hectic mountain city. While the rooms are good, and the garden courtyard delightful, the outstanding thing about this hotel is the exceptional service from all the staff. They are just amazing. Every single person we dealt with was exceptional. There were too many special things to list them all but I will mention a few. Ms Munisa is an outstanding professional. She made bookings for us, made sure that we had everything we needed and that our drivers and tour guides were well briefed and, two days after we left Mirage she was still phoning me to make sure that we were happy with the reservations she had made for us in other hotels in Leh. We could not possibly have asked for more and she exceeded every expectation I could possibly have from an hotelier.

The food during our stay was also exceptional and we enjoyed meeting Chef Dhuraj who always provided some little extra item to our meal that surprised us. One night when we were eating our dinner in the courtyard the team even built us a bonfire! Fantastic service was provided everyday by Zulfiqar (who very kindly gave us a book about Kashmir and Leh, Ladakh which was very helpful) and by Musadir. The person who looked after us the most, from carrying our bags, delivering our meals and installing a special wireless router for us was Amil, who was always trying to help us and provide service in any way possible. What was most impressive was that we only speak English - every staff member bent over backwards to understand us, and, on the rare occasion that we couldn't connect on something they found someone else who could.

I was stunned by the service and hospitality provided by the team at the Mirage.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
omer s, General Manager at Hotel Mirage, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thank you very much for such a heartfelt and detailed review of our Hotel.

We are extremely grateful for your kind words and praises. We work extremely hard to ensure our guests feel at home and completely relaxed while at Mirage. Our Staff members are chosen very carefully to ensure they have a polite and helpful personality. Commercial Hotels often seem to be lacking warmth and friendliness which can ruin your holiday experience. We take your feedback very seriously and constantly strive to improve our services and make our guests more comfortable.

Thank you for choosing Mirage. We hope to see you again in the near future and we promise to make your next stay more memorable than the last.

Gurgaon, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Before I start reviewing the hotel I must first say something about Kashmir as this whole trip was about Kashmir.Me and wife just came back yesterday from a trip to Kashmir. Most of our well wishers advised us to postpone/cancel our trip. I too was nervous and the sight of so many heavily armed police and CRPF while going to the Hotel from the Airport didnt help to soothe my nerves. While going for our local sightseeing in Srinagar I asked the driver Saajid who was allotted to us on how safe was Kashmir. His answer " Sirji, aap Dilli mein kitna safe ho?" stumped me. His next words "Aap Kashmir mein Dilli se zaada safe ho" made me decide I am going to see and feel Kashmir with an unpredujiced view. From going to the dreaded Lal Chowk in the evening, from going to Kulkar market in the night, from taking early morning walks in Rajbagh to visiting secluded and isolated spots in Sonmarg and Baltaal, from sipping tea with local people at a roadside chai wala in Pahalgam. We felt and saw Kashmir from the warmth in the welcome of our driver Saajid, to the sincere smiles and unforgetting hospitality of Zulfiqar (the Manager at Hotel Mirage) and Gulzar (the manager of the Houseboat called "Lucky Dawn" Peace and Tranquility in a so called "Troubled State" while sipping tea in a roadside chai stall . On coming back to Delhi I asked the question to myself how safe and welcome am I at Delhi? This time the answer came to me very easily.

Well now about Hotel Mirage. Was it a hotel or was it my home in the valley? I would prefer calling it my home. As soon as your enter the reception area the welcoming smile of Zulfiqar will win you over in the first go. When you walk into the room you will literally say wow in seeing the thoughtful layout, the fresh smelling and clean linen, the spacious bathroom, and when you sink yourself in the bed you know you will have your nicest sleep ever (away from home that is).

Mirage is what I would call a "Homestay" but their staff can match any of the better 4/5 star trained staff. And where they beat them is that it is not a plastic smile pasted on their lips. They are very attentive yet very discreet. When you sit out in the lawn in the evening with a bonfire already lit for you and light music playing in the background your day has been made. A special word about their Chef Rakesh who will cook up awesome lip smacking dishes specially the kasmiri pulao with chicken yakhney. But be careful that you don't overeat as the servings are more than generous. Waiting for the time to be amongst them all over again. Totally recommend them to have the best impression and memories about Kashmir

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amitava M
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

It was an honour for us to know you consider our staff and services to be at par with 5 Star Hotels. Also another interesting point you made was about the staff not wearing plastic smiles. We actually select our staff based on their personality rather than previous experience. We try our best to make the atmosphere at Mirage as friendly and homely as possible and we are delighted to know we have been successful in doing so.

It is an absolute honour to know you wish to visit us again and we really look forward to it.
We hope to see you soon in the near future. Once again thank you choosing Mirage.

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

When I saw what the other recent travellers had to say and then checked the website of this place. I must confess that I had built up some expectations regarding the quality of the place. Then the price tag only elevated those expectations. However I was very disappointed with my stay here and cannot help but thinking that it was a mistake. I can only suggest to other travellers that they don’t make the same mistake.

It was NOT the quality of the rooms that was low. I stayed at the deluxe block and the rooms are newly built and quiet OK. Except that the bathroom becomes very dangerous as it floods after a shower since there are neither curtains nor a glass partition for the shower area.

For its price tag the place is very disappointing for various reasons. Firstly it is NOT a hotel it is a house converted into a Hotel and at best should be termed a Guest house. Although the service staff is there BUT there is no visible hierarchy as is clearly visible in a proper hotel NOR is there a personal touch of the owners. So it’s neither here nor there.

Secondly, though the room within itself is acceptable BUT it has major shortcomings. One about the bathroom I have already stated. The 2nd irritant was the extremely poor sound insulation. I stayed on the ground floor and had to bear the noise of the kitchen staff late into the night and it started again in the early hours of the morning. In the day time cars were coming in and out (within inches of my room window) and were a source of constant noise. Lastly the towels of the room had a very worn look certainly not what I would expect at this price level.

Hence the while staying here I could neither find the peace and quiet that the website seems to give an impression of nor could I find the professionalism of a Hotel. The Dal-gate is also a long walk and best approached by an Auto from this place.

The food was excellent. The portions were huge so order carefully if you are a small eater.

To conclude there are better options available for this kind of price. Look elsewhere don’t waste your money here.

Room Tip: If you still must then stay away from the ground floor and the path separating the two blocks.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SanjaySharma_69
omer321, Owner at Hotel Mirage, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly being on a business trip, if you are a frequent traveller to this place you should be well aware of the fact that the architecture in Kashmir of all the commercial/domestic establishments look the same here and the commercial establishments cannot be well differentiated as in metro cities.The norms of this place are NOT so lenient that a house can be turned into and run as a hotel or a guest house can be run as a Hotel so easily under
the strict supervision of Tourism bodies here.The property is running under the pattern & Style of European chalet .I seriously doubt about our Esteemed guest sense of understanding & taste for it..Secondly, I have failed to understand the term mentioned 'personal touch of the Owners' related to any issues encountered when no complaint has ever been reported to the management present at the hotel or mentioned in the feed back form by your good self.
Just to let know our esteemed guest that our room & room amenities always gets checked and tested before any guest checks in.Due to rain showers present in the bathroom it gets wet BUT NOT flooded. The owner of this establishment believes in guest satisfaction & if a guest is not satisfied with his/her stay directly booked with us we gladly offer the guest a refund of his stay for other days.
Noida, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at Mirage in August and had a wonderful experience. As it was an off season, we were given the suit room at the same price of a deluxe room. It was just beautiful..wooden carvings, spacious bathrooms and a nice living room as well. Good food, generous hospitality. The best part was the beautiful big lawn just outside the hotel. You can have your meal there or simply sit and relax with lovely music playing at the background in the evening. I would suggest one to book rooms at the new wing as they are newly designed and beautifully decorated.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ria080
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay at Mirage. As you mentioned even though it was off season, you enjoyed your holiday in Kashmir. We have always believed there is no off season in Kashmir. Every season creates it's own magic and changes the mood of the landscapes. Kashmir can be enjoyed in all of it's magical moods.

We hope you will visit Kashmir and Mirage again and experience one of Kashmir's many moods.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Honestly when I walked in the hotel I did not think the room will be this good...I literally went "wow" when I saw the huge suite with the double bed area,sitting area & the single bed area...The bathroom is superbly done and huge...

Well I will list the things I liked about Mirage

-The garden and lawn area.Its a perfect place to chill out with friends.Also they play lovely music in the evening...there is a swing too..very romantic

-The silence and the peace around the place.It is so near to Dal Lake but away from the crowd.

-The food is nice and tasty.

-The rooms.I loved the huge Bathroom with the freshly scented towels.Its super clean without being clinical.Friendly staff,quick service.

-The friendly staff and the owners.The owners (the brother & sister duo -Omer & Muniza) are extremely nice and friendly people. Omer is a Kashmiri adventure enthusiast & has many interesting stories about trekking in J&K.
They celebrated EID with their friends & family & everyone staying in the hotel.It was an amazing experience to try all the different varieties of kashmiri cuisine.

-The decor of the rooms (new building) are very chic.Trust me you will feel like royalty when you stay there. I stayed in 403..lots of good memories of the place.

I cannot think of anything I did not like there.Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay at Mirage. We appreciate the points you have made that distinguish Mirage from other commercial Hotels. We always strive to be different from your average hotels that lack the homely feeling.

It is important our Guests experience Kashmiri culture and traditions and what better way to do it than celebrating Eid together. We feel privileged to have an opportunity to share some of our culture with our Guests to make their stay a little more memorable.

We also believe that Kashmir can be one of the best Adventure Sport destinations of the world. We are working towards providing opportunities for adventurous people to come and experience what Kashmir has to offer. Our next adventure tour will be held in March where we will be trekking to the famous Gangbal Lake and Harmukh Glacier.

We have also upgraded our old wing to a very high standard. Rooms and services at par with the best 5 Star hotels. We hope you will visit us again and give us an opportunity to make your stay even more special.

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We found Mirage after we were searching for AC hotels in srinagar.This august was exceptionally hot in srinagar(temp was 34 degrees during day)with most hotels barely providing a fan,we already had a sweaty and terrible day priorly at one of the houseboats.it was a pleasant surprise to find this hotel away from the bustling crowds at dal lake.the new wing is superb.rooms were spacious and immaculately clean..huge bathrooms wonderfully decorated.staff was very helpful..especially Mr.Anil who took care of all our needs.The food was good..do try the biryani..it was yummy!!I totally recommend this place for staying to anyone who goes to srinagar.

Room Tip: take rooms in the new wing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
omer s, General Manager at Hotel Mirage, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review.

We are extremely pleased to know that in a way we were able to rescue your unpleasant holiday and make it more pleasant. It is when we receive reviews such as this we feel extremely honoured and rewarded. It serves as encouragement for us and makes us work even harder to make our Guest's holiday even more memorable.

We hope to see you soon again as we have made several vast improvements since your last visit.