“Experience is less than expectation”

Shamyana Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 113 Restaurants in Srinagar
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Family Restaurant
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I went with high expectations due to several recommendations for non vegetarian foods. The service was late, very unfriendly and food is just so so. The price is on the higher side but expected due to the fame. But it did not match the name. Will not recommend. Understood that Mughal Darbar is a better one- however not eaten there.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

This place really is just plain average I'm afraid. It's never going to be a meal to remember. The service was certainly very good, but I didn't feel it had a particularly comfortable general ambiance, and the food was decent but nothing special - it was actually a struggle for me to remember what I had, and I love my food!

The menu is standard multicuisine. If you're Indian or you've traveled here a bit you probably won't even need to read it to know what's going to be on it. I was particularly disappointed that I think there were just 3 Kashmiri dishes (I think it's rista, goshtaba and something else, probably roghan jhosh). I think I had the rista, raita, jeera rice and some sabzi or dal. It was all fine, but left me feeling I wish I'd tried somewhere more interesting. I guess that's what this place is: a safe bet.

For just 10/15% or so more, you could go to Adhoos, sit in a much nicer environment, and have far nicer food. I'd recommend you do that.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Clean and simple. Food was served hot and in traditional copper pots - especially the Egg Curry and Malai Kofta. Lamb and Chicken Curry met the meat-eaters approval but the briyani was a tad too soggy for our liking. Service was straight forward and efficient. Great out of hotel experience!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We tried this for lunch on recommendation by the local driver..good place..can go..egg curry was yum...fruit cream was yum too...

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Shamyana Restaurant on Boulevard, Srinagar is a great place Indian vegetarian food. The food is hot, the helpings are generous and the tandoori rotis are crisp. Their Paneer Pudina is particularly tantalising. I did try their Mutton Rogan Josh, but suspect it was sheep's meat rather than goat's mutton? Wonder if that was the case! But while some of the staff are polite and courteous, the older staff is somewhat stand-offish, curt and show attitude. They should be taught to be more welcoming. All in all, a good enough place to eat.