“Over yonder!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of RedHouse Cafe & Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manali
RedHouse Cafe & Inn
Ranked #31 of 263 Manali B&B and Inns
Navi Mumbai, India
“Over yonder!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Mid June 2013, soon after taking a break from my job, I had planned and set out on a month long soul searching trip up north spanning Delhi, Rishikesh, Dehradun, a trek across the Rupin pass that crossed over into Himachal, and then a week in Manali. To cut a long story short, the rain gods played havoc and my trek was cancelled because of the floods in Uttarakhand, and I was stuck in Delhi for a few days. It was then that I decided to wing it and visit my old friend Raj and check out RedHouse Cafe.

I arrived in Manali at 7.00 in the morning, took a rick to the Club House and followed the signs up a steep flight of stairs to reach RedHouse, what a pleasant surprise! The place had a mini orchard with apple trees for a lawn, with tables and chairs to lounge around, overlooking a brilliant view of the river, complete with a quaint little tent in one corner. Yogi welcomed me with a hot cup of chai and I spent some time catching up with Raj in the tent. I was the only guest on the premises and so I was offered the room on the top floor.

The room was impeccably clean and well maintained, huge windows with brilliant views on all sides, red-themed curtains and linen, an easy chair and couches to laze around on the verandah. The cafe was WiFi enabled, had a nice collection of books to browse and awesome music playing, great to lounge around and just soak in the views. Also great food cooked by the hosts themselves, I loved the Liquid Sunshine sandwich, palak chicken, and the Chailu - Rann. Evenings would drinks and dinner around a bonfire with Raj himself joining in with playing the guitar and singing. Both Raj and Yogi are excellent hosts and will make you feel at home and taken care of.

Suffice it to say that I was so happy that I ended up spending a whole week there!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RedHouseManali, Owner at RedHouse Cafe & Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hi Manoj,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review for us.

It was great running into you here; its not often - running into a friend after a decade... :o)

We're glad we could help with your break after your plans were in disarray over the floods. We've quite a bit of Raan (for ourselves though) since.

Looking forward to seeing you soon,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at the Red House Cafe in July this year during our journey to Leh. The place is nicely tucked away in Old Manali with comfortable rooms and great view of the river. We were three of us, so needed an extra bed to be put. The rooms were clean, nice and spacious and even with three members, did not feel cramped for space.

Raj, our host at Red House, was extremely friendly and accommodating. We reached Manali a little after 10 PM and he was kind enough to get our starters, main course etc. served in the room and hold it up till we finally wanted to eat. They have a small garden area which is ideal for small bonfires and group activities. You will see people sitting there very often playing the guitar and singing deep into the midnight.

They have wi-fi as well, however there could be a slight signal problem if you are on the top floor. Also, to reach the cafe, you need to take 20-25 stairs uphill, from the base level. So while the place is ideal for travelers & backpackers, the elderly might like to keep this in mind.

Another thing that Raj helped us immensely with was securing the permit to travel to Leh which is needed from the SDM office in Manali. So for people travelling to Leh, this option makes all the more sense.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor offer the best view of the river and hills
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank maximaminima

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Hopefully, the next time around, you'll be able to spend more time in Manali. We promise an acoustic concert... :o)

Jodhpur, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I spent about 2 weeks at RedHouse Cafe in Manali and I am not regretting it for a second!
I was actually looking for another hotel that was mentioned in some guidebook, but I was intrigued by their signs. I stepped inside and met Yogi. He was very honest and told me what they wanted per night(a bit more than others) and what was included and not. I made my mind up on the spot. They had large, clean rooms, hot shower(still quite cold outside start of april),WiFi and great views!

The campfire nights on saturdays were wonderful! Raj and his friends played guitar and sang(lovely!) and everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves!

I was their first customer in season 2013(start of april) and they really treated me like it! They answered all my questions about Manali, trekking, off-the-beaten-track activities and so on.
I stayed there for about 2 weeks and even though the rooms and the view was great, I have to say that the highlight was the management!

Thank you my friends Raj, Yogi and of course Danny, for some great memories! Special love for you Raj, if I come to India again, I will squeeze Manali to the schedule!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wulfric7
Dear Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

You were a great start to this eventful year & we're glad we could assist you with whiling your time away in Manali; it's great when we have explorers drop in... ;o)

Looking forward to running into you someday,

Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Its very difficult to express this beautiful heaven known as Red House cafe. First thing that came to my mind after seeing this paradise was wooow amazing. I started planning for my next trip before beginning of this trip. Then i saw the room. comfy and very big. There were large windows on three sides of the room. when I opened all the curtains of the room i was amazed by the breathtaking views from the room. I could see the river flowing on one side, on another beautiful waterfalls, and on the back side apple orchard. You can open your all the curtains and enjoy the beauty of nature any time of the day. There are unobstructed views on all the three sides of room. Rooms and washrooms were clean and dry very far above indian standards. There is personal set top box in every room and all the channels are available, so even kids can enjoy their favourite cartoons. The condition of room and furniture was excellent. 24 hours hot running water etc . Balcony have amazing view of river , apple trees and forest. Its for sure that you will enjoy here more than local sightseeing and rohtang collectively. Initially my trip was of 3 days i made it for 5 days after reading reviews.I wanted to see what so special about this place. After visiting this place i realized why this place has such excellent reviews. My trip was finally concluded in 8 days with very heavy heart. I wish i could stay there forever. Ever second spend in this place is worth it. I spend my most of the days in balcony watching river and unobstructed view of the forest. Mr Raj is very friendly. He is a quick friend. A true master in hospitality. Really very helpful and a nice guy. Ever smiling yogi is also friendly and a nice guy. They both know how to treat guest and how to take care of them. Prem, a nice and helpful guy. Raj, yogi and Prem all are more than happy to help. I am jealous of you Raj, yogi because you live 365 days in heaven where only 8 days spent by me are unforgettable and memorable. In morning during our conversation Raj came to know that i love green vegetables so by the evening he arranged fresh spinach from the local farm nearby. By night i was enjoying freshly cooked Palak panner. It was very delicious. The best i had ever in my life. For consecutive 3 days i was just eating Palak paneer. There are variety of dishes. kitchen is very clean. Food is really very nice. Quality and quantity of the food was excellent. There is lot more to do in cafe. There is garden cafe where you can play your own music by your mobile or can play music from raj's ipod which has 15,317 songs. Most elegant music collection i have ever seen. The collection consist of Beatles, The rolling stones, pink floyd etc.... He also have a huge collection of movies , music , and tv series. Lots of books to read. Lots of board games including chess, scrabble, battleship. You can do painting the list is endless. Hats off Raj for thinking and creating such a innovative place. Highly recommended for every one families, couples , singles everyone. This place has everything for everyone. But you have to visit this place to enjoy it. Its a holy grail of awesomeness. Will surely visit again as soon as possible. Sorry for the long review. But this place is so great that its not possible to describe in few words. Nature's beauty can't be described it can be only seen. Just go for it and surely you will be proud of your decision.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tarun R
RedHouseManali, Owner at RedHouse Cafe & Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

It was great having you over & we're glad we were able to get you to stay longer than decided earlier. Looking forward to seeing you later in the year.

Best Always,
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

good value and good location are two things that brought me here! Staying here aug 4-5 and arrive in the early morning and raj the owner is easily reachable at the wee hour so he could pick us up and bring our luggage cause we have to climb stairs! Raj make a mean omelette and I mean it! loving the garden and our room in second floor! also helpful with our ticket to Leh. and he has an excellent taste of music so I love it. really excellent service! thanks raj! you can contact him at redhouse@india.com :)

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank restyyy

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I'm glad you were able to travel through Manali tooduring your visit to ourt country. Hoping you've already taken in the sights & are now at home in wanderer-bliss... :o)

delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Have been to Manali several times before and stayed in all sorts places. The extravagant expensive & ugly hotels, the modest cheap & filthy ones, and luckily also the few nice ones. Red House is something else. I guess mainly because of it's location and the staff. It's at the end of a road across the river in old Manali and elevated to a height to overlook apple trees and Vashishth gaon, i think, in the back, and the gorgeous falls around it.
Quite a sudden and soothing escape from the crowded streets and sadly walled up corners. Raj and Yogi, the gentlemen who run this place really know how to make you feel at home and since it is their home all they have to do is make you a part of the family and they sure do that.
Manali this time again was suppose to be just a stop-over on our way to Lahaul and then Leh but this place was so relaxing and rejuvenating that we ended up staying here longer then planned. And this was definitely a high point of the entire trip.

In a nutshell, it's a gorgeous place surrounded by orchards, facing the river on one side and a valley on the other, wonderful people, fabulous music, brilliant food(mountain goat) and a great vibe.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank musafir981

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

We're glad RedHouse is a part of the memories you take away from your journeys in Himachal this year. Hope to see you soon,

Cheers,
Noida, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

“Quality, Comfort and speechless hospitality DOES NOT HAVE TO BE EXPENSIVE and a BIG BRAND NAME attached to it…..”
If my family and myself need to collate our experience about our many visits to Redhouse and yet many more to come, I need pages to share our experience. So I am trying to capture our thoughts as briefly as possible. Please pardon me if I get carried away and go beyond brief as this place is really very close to our heart and we are in love with this place …..Soon you will know why.
So what is Redhouse and why it’s different and unique…… An Apple Garden Cafe, serving a homely mix of comfort food with a touch of soul - atop a hill with unobstructed views. Has an incredible vista of the surrounding valley, melodious sound of Beas river breaking into the silence like music in your ears. Freshly cooked food, free Wi-Fi & an amazing selection of music (to choose from) only add to one's experience. Saturday Night Bonfires almost always have Live Music played by the owner Raj and his talented musician friends. You cannot afford to miss this spectacular event (Definitely you are most welcome to jam with them with your own instrument or pick one from the Redhouse collection). It’s also one of the few places left in Manali where I can soak in the sun on its many beautiful days amidst the beautiful Apple Orchard and its lush green garden huts where you can relax just not do anything for hours (specially for Lazy Dog’s like me), pamper your taste buds as the Kitchen is just a call away, listen to music, read books from the very unique and versatile collection of books, watch my young ones play in the garden with grace and untamed excitement as my daughter has never expected to see such unique and colourful garden in a guesthouse…….etc etc…..and the list goes own.
RedHouse is a Budget Boutique Guest house too. Every room is topped up with free amenities like Digital T.V., Room Service, Electric Room Heaters, Wi-Fi, etc. besides offering views of rolling fields, open skies & snow-capped mountains.
Now comes the most important part. The owner of Redhouse (Raj) and the head chef Yogi ( aka “Laughing Buddha” for his nonstop smiling face) are both extremely talented/versatile and quick friends. Both are very hard working, caring and ensure that every person in the house is comfortable and feels special. Most important for a family man like me is that they love Kids and leaves no room for my kid to feel ignored, get bored or uncomfortable even when I am busy enjoying my serenity and beauty of the place. Food is every one’s personal choice and I am sure at Redhouse you will discover your favourite from the in-house special menu. Our all-time favourite is the Redhose special secret recipe…their mutton thali …..I am feeling hungry even while righting about it.
I highly recommend this place to everyone, especially travelers from distant lands and Indians like me who needs a well-deserved break from the chaotic city life.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RedHouseManali, Owner at RedHouse Cafe & Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Anirban (& family),

Thanks for taking the time for posting this review.

We feel the love & second it... :o)...Your holidays here are truly appreciated & we're glad we're able to lend some (idyllic) peace & rest to a busy life....Keep smelling the roses.... ;o)

Cheers & Best always,