“Spacious rooms, Decent hotel”
Review of Hotel Shiraaz

Hotel Shiraaz
Ranked #9 of 13 Panchkula B&B and Inns
Delhi
“Spacious rooms, Decent hotel”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Spacious rooms. Nice view from some rooms. Clean bathrooms. Buffet breakfast was just average. Hotel was centrally located which was another boon. Overall the experience was good. Specially if you are looking for a decent low budget hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank unexpectedlife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

India is a land of contrasts and this is exemplified by Hotel Shiraaz. It is a rough diamond that - if judged solely by western standards of comfort and cleanliness - would rate poorly.

But this place is more than that. Located in Northern India not far from Chandigarh, it is a place ideally situated for any Westerner who wants to experience a northern Indian provincial city or to use as a stopover on the way to attractions in the Himalayan Foothills like Shimla, Kufri or Chail Palace.

When I arrived at Hotel Shiraaz, the staff appeared bemused that a Westerner would be staying there and I was immediately surrounded by friendly staff eager to help. There are only two reception staff who speak English fluently and the remainder of staff understand enough to assist with whatever you want (occasionally with some impromptu sign language to help with understanding). Regardless, everyone who works at this hotel is courteous, friendly and eager to help.

I mentioned contrasts earlier. Despite the friendly staff, Hotel Shiraaz maintains a standard of cleanliness that would not normally be acceptable to Western standards. Floors are generally dirty, surfaces are not dusted and the bathrooms... let's just say they don't sparkle. Nevertheless, I spent three nights there with no ill-effects.

The food at Hotel Shiraaz is traditional Indian and vegetarian (except for boiled eggs or omelettes on offer at breakfast). I particularly enjoyed the Paneer Tikka Marsala and the various flatbreads were absolutely delicious. I avoided looking at the kitchen but, as I said before, I had no ill-effects.

Hotel Shiraaz caters to traditional Indian festivities. Such as wedding engagements and banquets (I went to an engagement ceremony there). They have a restaurant and a function room. The highlight for me was the Shooters Bar. Staff eagerly opened the bar at any time if I wanted a beer. The selection isn't huge but should satisfy anyone who wants to relax after a day of exploring. Over my four days there, I got to know the staff reasonably well and despite the language barrier, had some great conversations.

Unlike gated hotels in New Delhi, Hotel Shiraaz is situated on a block with a car park frontage and other restaurants on the main road passing through Sector 10. On the blocks either side are ATM equipped banks, clothing stores and general stores. If you feel so inclined, there is even a Subway and KFC a couple of blocks down if you turn left at the front door.

Being an un-gated hotel, any guest enters a real Indian environment as soon as they pass through the front door. This includes all the sights and smells that make India unique. There are beggars who work the car parks outside the hotel. They can be quite insistent if engaged, so it is best to avoid eye contact, ignore their pleas (easier for some than others - we're all human) and they will soon move on. There are numerous stray dogs which are also best left alone. Despite what I have written, I always felt safe and comfortable walking around the streets near Hotel Shiraaz. Behind the hotel is a residential neighborhood which mainly consists of vey neat houses with well-tended gardens. Well worth a stroll.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Shiraaz. If you enjoy a luxury resort this is not the place for you. If you enjoy the road less travelled and want to genuinely interact with Indian people then Hotel Shiraaz is a place that will meet your expectations and more - just don't expect Western standards. Well worth a visit.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Pune, India
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The hotel has a good location though main tourist places take about 30 minutes to reach.
The hotel location plain ordinary from the outside and even when you step in. The lift is a bit small and can accomodate not more than 5 people.
So we had little expectations and much dissapointment. But it changed once we entered our room.
The room was nice and spacious with central AC. It is nicely furnished with good clean bathrooms.
In the morning it took about 30 minuted to get hot water as by the time I got up to take a bath the hot water was over but they told me that the boilers are on and would take about 30 odd minutes for supply to resume which is OK for me as I have faced this thing in most hotels.
The breakfast buffet was cold. We asked for fresh puri and they served us on the table with hot food which was good.
Polite staff. Good place to stay in a reasonable budget. Though our booking was as package and we did not directly pay the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Delhi
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I went to attend a marriage. The arrangement and the staff was really appreciable. Every thing was in order. Free Wi-fi was provided. Despite a heavy wedding date the complete ceremony was were well managed. Food was Ok. Right through the function staff was on their toes. Had a nice experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Bangalore
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I stayed in hotel Shiraaz for two nights.
Check-in was good, while booking rooms via third party site accidently I booked for only one person in place of two, so I had a doubt whether they going to make any change or not, but they arranged dual occupancy without any problem with some extra money.

Room:
Room was big and well decorated with all needed articles. Bathroom/toilet was clean (only issue was that dustbins were not cleaned properly). You may get an old feeling while living in the room.
Since hotel is beside the road so traffic sound may be bit disturbing for some people.

Location:
Hotel is nicely located beside main road of Panchkula sector - 10, just opposite to bus stand (You can get state bus to Delhi and local buses from here. (Public transport in Chandigarh is not that good).

Food:
They have their own restaurant (though we didn’t use it).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Amit K
Reviewed November 12, 2013

As a last minute deal, we got this hotel. Again. the requirement was only to spend one night so, weren't expecting too much. Although the room shown was ok. It had several issues which were like false commitments to us.
1. There was no ventilation and AC was the only option. It won't cool even after setting up at 18 degrees on a cooler night.
2. TV - we were told that there is a slight issue with the DTH and it will be taken care of in some time. However, till next day (checkout) it never started.
3. Hot Water - no Running hot water on taps as told and when made a noise about it, was told many versions by different people. one said, I just switched on the centralized water heater so, in 15 mins hot water will start flowing. another guy said, the overhead tank was empty and they have started filling up the tank and in some time water will start flowing. third person said, there was a leakage found in the pipe that supplies to OUR ROOM and hence, HOT water is not possible. I asked for change of room and was told that there are no other rooms available and they provided us water in Buckets.
4. Cleanliness of the room was very bad. We had to clean the bedsheets in midnight.
5. Not a single table to keep food and Restaurant was out of Service (reason ... renovation)

Room Tip: don't book online at all. You will be in for the worst surprise of your life.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Himanshu P

Travelers are raving about these Panchkula hotels

New Delhi, India
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had booked 6 rooms at the hotel 2 months in advance for my friends' marriage use. On the day we arrived, the front desk manager said no rooms are available, as their was a conference going on. Then I showed him the booking invoice which was given by the front desk almost 2 months in advance. On seeing that, he sounded helpless and said he can't do anything about it as there are no rooms available. Then we said that refund is not an option for us as we really needed the rooms. Then he said I can arrange three rooms for you and on seeing the rooms we were shocked as the rooms had filthy bathtubs will all the dirty stains. You won't even go there to pee. Due to this we started having an argument with the front desk that how can this be.

At this he started threatening us saying that you should leave otherwise it will not be good for you. We were so taken aback, that how can a front desk manager threaten a guest. This is the last property on this earth I will recommended to anybody for stay.

This happened almost a year back in March 2012. I had kept it in my mind to write about this so that other guest don't get harassed like I was. Recently I was in Panchkula and the memories came back and pushed me to write all this.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Suprav
Also consider these accommodations in or near Panchkula
WelcomHotel Bella Vista
#4 of 11 in Panchkula
Hotel President
Hotel President
#29 of 99 in Chandigarh

Been to Hotel Shiraaz? Share your experiences!