“In one word - Good!”
Review of The Monk

The Monk
Ranked #20 of 2,778 Restaurants in Gurugram (Gurgaon)
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Good restaurant if you prefer having Chinese cuisine. Slightly expensive but yet if you love Chinese food then it's worth it!

There are newer reviews for The Monk

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Good service. They make your food as per your modifications even if it weren't in the menu. Had a wonderful experience. Reasonable pricing although slightly on the higher side.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

In my journey to discover food and tastes from kitchen around the world, i was recommended the monk by a friend. We were a small table of 4 where despite several requests we still had to wait for the table for over 20 Minutes.

We ordered 3 starters, 5 main dishes (Rice and or noodle combos) with chicken and lamb combos. It was to our surprise that the food tasted of nothing but lot of black/white pepper (in all chinese varients) however just the fried noodles and rice were good.

After we complained to the manager, he told us that this is how the Chinese food is cooked,; this came to me as a surprise as i am someone who was born eating mainland Chinese and Cantonese food.

I asked the managers about the kitchen staff and their backgrounds... I came as a surprise that the kitchen is run by none but a Nepali chef and none of the staff in kitchen have an oriental background.

No way am i representing that Nepali people can not cook Chinese, but my argument is that a restaurant of a good class could surely afford an authentic Chinese chef and not serve food which is hot and spiced with white and black pepper to suit Indian palate.

Most people who think this taste is authentic, please don't get carried away with the ambience.

1  Thank Savagetraveller
Reviewed September 2, 2012

As we had not made a reservation, it took about 20 minutes to get a table for 4. The food lived up to the expectations generated by looking at past reviews. There is a buzz about the place which suited the occasion for our dining out

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have been visiting Monk for a little over 3 years and quite honestly the reason I keep going back is because the food is excellent. I have a standard order, almost always, assorted chicken dumplings and pan friend noodles with chicken in ginger chilli sauce. Although, I have been adventurous on an occasion or two and tried sticky rice, dark noodles etc. and they were quite good too. Some of the staff serving are long timers and have kept their service levels intact. I have rarely returned a dish but when I did request they didn't frown instead understood my problem. But while the food is great the restaurant has got really expensive. A lunch for two, without alcohol, costed Rs2100+Rs100 tip. Too much!!