“Excellent New Business Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Gurgaon
Ranked #11 of 234 Hotels in Gurugram (Gurgaon)
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Excellent New Business Hotel”
Reviewed May 13, 2008

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Gurgaon as I was working in this quickly developing business area 15 miles or so out of Delhi.
I stayed for 4 nights and considered it to be an excellent business hotel.
The hotel is only 7-8 months old and this always helps as the decor and facilities are very up to date. But more than this, the room, restaurants, car service, pool area and gym were all very good. Particularly found the free broadband provision to be excellent - something that other business hotels really should now be offering.
The staff were excellent - couldn't do enough to help me.
My only small complaint was that it was difficult to book free time trips. I took a day off whilst at the hotel to travel to Agra to see the Taj and the price the hotel were going to charge simply for a car to get me to Agra was extortionate. In the end contacted a local travel agent who arranged car and an excellent guide in Agra for me at less than a third the price the hotel wanted to charge!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Julian4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
London
Reviewed April 13, 2008

A new and beautifully furnished hotel, perfect for anyone on a business trip to Gurgaon. The rooms are modern and very well equipped with stunning bathrooms. The food was great too; in fact it was the only food I ate on my short visit, although I'd skip the Brazilian place and head straight for the fantastic Indian buffet in the main restaurant.

• Liked — Modern rooms
  • Disliked — It was in Gurgaon
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Brauerei
De aquí para allá
Reviewed April 2, 2008

I've never been to a place like this. The service was always there to help, they made my life easier!! Everyone had always a smile for me.

The food was really good, the rooms were excellent and clean at all times, as well as the toilet.

Simply the best.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Szasza
Singapore
Reviewed February 22, 2008

I changed to The Crowne Plaza having endured a few days at an underwhelming "5*" hotel in New Delhi.
The Crowne Plaza is an outstanding hotel (with an outstanding price). Modern rooms, comforatable beds, big screen TV, WiFi all through the hotel and a Bose Soundwave for my iPod.
I enjoyed a soaking bath in the oversized tub.
The buffet breakfast in the executive lounge was first class (coffee average). Snacks and drinks at night substituted for a meal. One room service meal - it arrived in a timely fashion and hot and they prepared a simple item ex-menu as requested.
A late lunch in the cafe took too long to be delivered but quality was good.
The staff really were a delight - helpful and courteous at every turn - front desk, biz centre, executive lounge and concierge staff.
I had to check out and into a cheaper hotel that was within budget . They obligingly drove me to the hotel to drop my bags and then onto the office. If the budget permitted I would not have left!
I enjoyed the crunchy apples on offer in bowls, rooms and lounges and thought the scented candles were a nice touch providing a little spice without overwhelming. There was very good attention to the customer experience.
I did note that power went off several times for no more than 10secs. While I was in my room each time, I imagine that it could be unsettling if you were in a lift at the time.

• Liked — Great staff and service support - very elegant comforatable room
  • Disliked — Do not expect any
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank OzAbroadView
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 8, 2008

Very clean, comfortable and big rooms, excellent service, good food, although the 1st Brazilain restaurant in India is not very Brazailian (carrot soup and salsa is NOT Brazilian)!!!! Still they made real caipirinhas, so ut wasn't all bad!

Stayed there for over a week (pricey but the compnay paid) and I enhoyed the stay greatly.

Would recommend and go back.

• Liked — Great rooms and bathroom
  • Disliked — Nowhere within walking distance
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank MarkyMarkDC
Upstate New York
Reviewed January 25, 2008

I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza Gurgaon twice. The first vist was the week they were opening, staff out numbered guests at least two to one. I enjoyed the property and returned in October '07; this is the visit I'll review.

All in all, the hotel is a good place to stay if you need to be in Guragaon. It is not a tourist destination, I don't think; you go there because you have business in the locale and don't want to deal with the traffic from downtown Delhi.

Staff are effective, the property is clean and secure, adn everything works. Food is good; they even have an Argentine style meat restaurant that is quite good.

• Liked — good location for business in the area
  • Disliked — it is a good hotel, nothing is negative
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank chasUpstateNewYork
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 20, 2008

I walked in a jet-lagged daze past the doormen in their bright yellow kurtas, pointy-toed shoes and colorful turbans into the Crown Plaza’s sleek and sparkling lobby. It was 11 PM and I’d just come off the 15-hour flight from Chicago and was due in the office the next morning. I was tired. I did not smell nice. The courteous young man at the desk scanned his computer and said I needed to speak with the manager. The equally courteous manager broke the news that my room was not ready- it would be another hour. I was not amused.

My guess is that the room’s previous occupants had a late-departing flight and paid an additional night’s accomodation so they could stay in the room- many international flights depart from Delhi between 11 PM and 1 AM. The hotel decided to collect twice for that day and assign the room to me. Too bad they weren’t capable of getting it ready in time.

They offered me a complimentary dinner but I’d been over-fed on the plane. They shuttled me off to the lounge with more apologies and I had a glass of wine and used the Internet before a bellhop came to the lounge and escorted me to my room. It was, I’m happy to say, within the promised time frame, and it was a beautiful room. Their offered reparations included free Internet access and lounge access for the duration of my trip, as well as free transportation back to the airport. Mellowed by the wine and their magnanimity, I decided not to throw a tantrum. But I do suggest that you get a written acknowledgement of when your room will be ready if you plan a very late check-in.

A word on the car services: the hotel quoted me Rs 2,000 (about $50) for airport pickup and the car service my company uses charged Rs 700 to pick me up at the airport and take me to the hotel.

My room was beautiful, with a plate of fruit and chocolates or Indian sweets replenished daily. The health club was well-equipped, and had Indian rock music on the sound system- ideal for a fast-paced workout. The outdoor pool had been drained (the sign announcing “Pool is Closed” seemed a little redundant under the circumstances)- this was mid-January so it may have been seasonal maintenance.

The Lounge was a nice place to have breakfast although the menu was the same every day. I enjoyed sambal and idli every morning, accompanied by coffee. There were North American/European selections as well, and eggs cooked to order.

The Wi-Fi worked most of the time (one evening out of 4 it did not). One oddity was that I could do everything but get to the company server with my Lotus Notes e-mail, and was able to do that only one night. No idea why.

I used only the buffet at the main restaurant and found it fine but way overpriced. My first night, the buffet, a bottle of Perrier and a glass of entirely forgettable domestic shiraz cabernet worked out to over $50. I know the workers are paid a pittance. Where’s the rest of the money going when I could buy dinner back in Kansas for less than that? So, I obediently filled out a survey presented with my check, praising the food and the service but complaining about the prices. On my way out, the manager stopped me and engaged me in a little debate over my opinion. That’s what all the other hotels charge around here, he said. It was cheaper than London or America, he said. (I gave him an argument on America and said I’d have the same comment at the other hotels.) He complained about taxes. Yes, I know the government is milking business tourism for all it’s worth but, as I told him, India is in danger of getting so expensive it won’t be a cost-effective place to do business anymore. Sheesh. Don’t fill out the restaurant survey unless you want to discuss it with the manager.

Checkout was smooth except that of course no one knew about the free Internet offer or the free airport transportation. They removed the charges with no argument.

I’d return to the Crowne Plaza because of the proximity to my company’s Gurgaon offices and the generally beautiful, comfortable state of my room and the good food- but I’d be darn sure they were planning to have a room ready for me on arrival next time.

• Liked — Beautiful, comfortable room, very good restaurants
  • Disliked — Servuce problems described above; overpriced
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business