“Worth returning to with some minor nits”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Gurgaon
Ranked #10 of 233 Hotels in Gurugram (Gurgaon)
Boston, Massachusetts
“Worth returning to with some minor nits”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Location: it depends on the needs. If the intent is to be close to the Gurgaon businesses, then it's great. If its Delhi tourism, then it's an hour plus of horrid traffic and thanks to an abysmally chaotic toll highway. By itself the hotel's location is fine - there is a cluster of good restaurant 5 mins walking and a big mall about a mile away and also the Metro is walk able.

The hotel looks like, a very pleasant lobby and open interior architecture with a superb pool over the breakfast room

Rooms: these are really excellent - the beds, the bath and the amenities. It's very nice that they have abundant free water bottles that are replenished daily.

One set of rooms look out to a nice green garden/field, the others to the pool. The pool view is nicer and worth asking for specifically.

Food: excellent quality right from the breakfast to the restaurants and room service - just extraordinarily pricey. Eg. The room service on a small plate of Kebabs and 1 naan was $25 ...hmmm. A full dinner course of Kebabs, naans, rice, yoghurt and beers at a great Kebab place 3 mins walking was $20 - go figure. A little raising of prices is ok, a ripoff is a ripoff despite the quality

Service: mixed bag here - overall very friendly (perhaps a tad over enthusiastic with everyone greeting you all the time) and responsive

Misc and nits:

- viirtually all room air conditioners panels are not functional and always set too cold. You have to call maintainence who will come and set it to a fixed temp.

- transportation arranged by the hotel is a ripoff and AVOID. When you ask for an airport taxi they will pitch their service for Rs 2000 and if you ask for a local taxi you will hear the story that it will take 30mins to get. Push for the local taxi which will come in a minute and cost Rs 500! Both me and my friend went through the same spiel - c'mon hotel, stop ripping folks.

- checkin: distasteful (my experience and of 2 others) in all our cases we had booked the 'complimentary breakfast and wifi pacakge' - in each case the hotel insisted we pay extra as we had done mistakes in clicking something else. NOT something nice. Each experience required our standing firm till the hotel backed off but one remembers these irritants as the first experience and taxi biz as the last experience. Fix it!

Guys, you have a great hotel - make it a great experience for the guests than these cheap games at checkin and transportation ripoffs.

Summary: great hotel - get pool view rooms, avoid hotel's food, checkin and transportation ripoffs

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank n s
ArindamKunar, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gurgaon, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest
Greetings and at the outset please do accept our sincere appreciation for an insightful and detailed feedback on your stay and experience at our hotel. While we thank you for the compliments you have paid our hotel and the team on the positives, my team and I will take the scope for improvement of our services very very seriously and address them appropriately and urgently. The feedback on the taxi/transportation is well accepted, and please be assured that we offer both options to our guests – a hotel travel desk option and a call taxi option. As for check in, our team has investigated the matter and will be in touch with you to address the same
Notwithstanding the issues, I hope you will give us another chance to service you and see for yourself the fact that we have indeed taken your feedback seriously.
Kind regards
Arindam Kunar, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed August 14, 2012

It is true that that prices are high (although you could pay the same or even more at a three star hotel in a large city in Europe) but the quality of services and food is worth it. I especially liked that I could try so many different foods (especially Indian) by paying for the buffet and still experience the taste of food prepared to meet European standards.

1 Thank degustibus76
ArindamKunar, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gurgaon, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Guest
Greetings and thank you for your feedback. Our chefs are delighted that you liked the food, and your feedback has been communicated to the team. I am concerned that you found us expensive, and do let us kow if you are a frequent visitor to our part of the world, for us to work on a special rate for you. Alternatively, you may choose to avail of the exciting offers that are available from time to time.
I hope to see you on your next visit to our hotel.
Bengalur, India
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Let me start by what I found excellent about the hotel:
1. excellent behaviour and service by F&B.
2. excellent behaviour and service by the housekeeping staff
3. above average food at Cafe G (thats the only one i experienced)
4. good size room, bath and toilet area, well done up and well stocked
good for business stay - good location - 20 minutes from the international airport - good connectivity - near the metro station, etc.

now what I found offensive about the hotel's attitude towards their guests: (please note that this is my personal opinion and experience and may not have been necessarily experienced by others)

1. I booked the room through hotels.com and the price did not include breakfast. however, I was attending a conference and the group that I was a member of, had negotiated a better price which also included breakfast. The group coordinator wrote to the hotel asking them whether breakfast could be included for me since i was part of the same group. The response that came was negative as according to them i had booked through a travel agency which did not allow for this. I had no problem with this, but the tonality of the mail was offensive. It stressed that no cancellation will be allowed (we did not ask for one, nor did we ask for a lower tariff). the mail also stressed in a very impersonal language (Please be informed that ...) that breakfast will be charged separately and with tax (duh! we knew that, didn't we?). I wonder whether just a simple "sorry but cannnot include breakfast in the current price structure" would have been suffice.

2. I checked in and the reception staff asked for my credit card imprint, which I obliged with. However, they did not inform me that they would charge my card immediately. Please note, I had fully prepaid for my room for two days, only the breakfast and extras had to be charged. However, shortly thereafter, I was informed by my bank that Rs. 5000 was charged on my card and I had no clue who had done that as the hotel did not bother to inform me. I checked with the hotel and they said, they have only booked and not charged. However, the card was indeed charged, not once, but twice and was reconfirmed on the day of my check out. They again charged Rs. 2000 (again without informing me) against my card on the next day.

3. on the 2nd day of my stay while I was having breakfast, the bill was placed uncermoniously on my table even while I was mid way through it. I have never experienced any five star hotel treating their guests as potential frauds, as though i was going to run away without paying money.

4. on the day of my check out, I called the reception, handed over my key and luggage and informed that I was checking out and that I would clear my bill at 4 p.m. I was going to be in the same hotel participating in a seminar on the 1st floor. The reception staff said ok. After breakfast I was informed by one of the front office staff that I needed to clear my bill immediately in full and final as otherwise they would not treat the room as vacated. This is after charging my card twice and having all the details with them. Again, I have never experienced any hotel treating their guests like this.

5. anyway, i then settled the bill. Despite their protest that they did not charge my bill, finally i paid only the additional amount over and above the amounts that had been charged. So not only the hotel treated their guests badly, they also did not tell me the truth about how they were dealing with my money!!

I would not recommend this hotel for people who would like to be respected as guests and not be treated like potential (you fill in the gap)!

2 Thank Sarbarig
Dear Guest
Greetings from Crowne Plaza Gurgaon, and many thanks for taking time to write a detailed and insighful feedback. I am at the outset, extremely perturbed and do apologise for your negative experience at our hotel, and you have my personal assurance, that we are looking at these feedback as an excellent opprtunity to improve our services for all our guests. So, thank you very much, and I do hope, sincerely, that you will give us another chance by staying with us, to show to you that we have indeed taken your feedback seriously. Please do send me a mail at arindam.kunar@ihg.com, should your next visit come up soon.
I look forward to personally interacting with you on your visit.
Kalanwali, Haryana, India
Reviewed August 7, 2012

crowne plaza hotel gurgaon is situated in the hub of the city, it is a very nice hotel with kingdom of dreams near by . It has a very goof food and ambience.Most recommended hotel of gurgaon.please...

2 Thank Sachin787
Dear Mr Goyal
Greetings and thank you for your kind words of appreciation for our hotel. It is quite heartening for my team and me.
I look forward to your return to our hotel.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Besides a little confusion at check in, the staff were responsive and professional. I did not get an opportunity to try the FNB outlets but heard from other guests that the food was great. The rooms are large and very well equipped. Clean hotel....infact my favorite at the hotel was the house-keeping services! Thank you for making my and my parents stay so special.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ashok N
ArindamKunar, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gurgaon, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments and feedback. We appreciate your taking time off to write about our hotel. My sincere apologies for the inconvinience caused to you at check in. I am also glad that your parents had a pleasant stay. I look forward to your visit yet again at our hotel and a chance to meet with you
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

i would like to request that you provide your priority club members access Free of Charge to the boardrooms/meeting rooms to include training facilities whenever required. i had to pay close to Rs 25000 for simply utilising the Lavender Boardroom from 12:00pm till 5pm on a Saturday afternoon. i think that should be for free, and i am ok with the lunch being cahrged at a discounted cost.

Room Tip: High Floors
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Abdul H
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback and we deeply appreciate your taking time off your busy schedule to provide as an insightful issue. We have taken note of your comment and shall look at our pricing strategy for meeting rooms. Just to let you know, that we do have value packages for our Business Centre meeting rooms which you may choose to avail. As for the banquet meeting rooms, the operations cost make it impossible to provide it on a complimentary basis, but do let me know your future requirements at arindam.kunar@ihg.com, and I shall be happy to work out a special offer suited to your needs.
I do look forward to your return to our hotel and a chance to meet with you personally.
Kind regards
Kovalam
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Good customer service is not all about bringing customers back. And about sending them away happy - happy enough to pass positive feedback about your business, Whereas its a collective experience an individual buid on the basis of connection with the personal detailing, & the right ambienece along with product.

IT compelled me to write & share my view, which i hardly do for anyone, as i want to spread good words about this place.Its The Connexion bar,by mistake we happens to be there as was heavy traffic on the highway,soon it started raining on top of all, power failure of northern grid.Finally we decided to visit this hotel to have few drinks & leave after some time.

To our surprise bar wasn't that busy being early evening, wow!!!a comfortable ambience with a clear view of monsoon added to the beauty. There is a decent collection of malts which brought the happiness to my friends, to my surprise i have not felt great about that.i decided to have dry martini.To my surprise it was Excellent Bonds martini with frosted olives added crispness. Special thanks to the servers, Bar tender & the manager who was taking personal care of everyone there. Thanks for all the moments where we realised the detailing & desire of service excellence.

This place also have a lot off promotional events easily accessible to common man contrary to five star category notion.

Just to close will say Great leader can only lead great team & one can see that into the team. The hunger of delighting every ones moments & events.Thank you all for such a wonderful experience.Cheers!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank shawnmistic
ArindamKunar, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gurgaon, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
Greetings from a rainy Gurgaon! What an absolute delight to receive your feedback. It is most heartening and gladdens our team at Connexions. We appreciate you taking time off from your busy schedule, and I can assure you that the words will go a long way to motivate my team and I to go further in our constant efforts to delight our guests.
Look forward to seeing you back at Crowne Plaza Gurgaon soon.