“Good experience.”
Review of MediumWelldone

MediumWelldone
Ranked #626 of 2,748 Restaurants in Gurugram (Gurgaon)
Cuisines: American
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“Good experience.”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We chose to sit in the courtyard dining and had the place to ourselves. We had already experienced the interiors on an earlier visit and the weather is just beginning to cool here.

There could be a variety of reasons for the poor footfall but the quality of food couldn't be one of them. My tenderloin steak and my wife's sole creole orders were exquisite. She was also enchanted by her mojito.

All in all a good experience although the pricing is a bit steep for the overall ambience. Pleasant, if somewhat unsophisticated, staff but they are a friendly lot.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank CJPhilip

New Delhi, India
“Great service but average steaks”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Medium WellDone is a recent addition to the plethora of high-end/ expensive/ fine dining/ specialized cuisine (call them what you will) restaurants that have mushroomed in Delhi NCR, especially Gurgaon. Situated on the Lower Ground Floor of a mall on the Golf Course road, one has to make an effort to find this place (even on a weekend) in this already confusing mall. The advertising does help in locating the place, but I can think of umpteen other places that would have been ideal for a restaurant like this.

The restaurant is located at the end of a corridor, and one realizes on reaching the host's desk that it is divided into 2 distinct areas (cut off by the corridor). One is an outdoor "Al fresco" kind of seating in the open complete with picket-fence and patio furniture in white. We were tempted to sit there but decided against it because of the humid weather. The second one is indoors and what is called the "Fine Dining" area. The interiors however failed to impress, purely because the decor can be of any restaurant. Not a hint of design that would suggest that the restaurant is a Steakhouse nor the decor has any context to it. The interiors are decent and exude opulence, but I would have prefer something more with character which would make the place stand out. The seating is comfortable and we chose a circular booth seating with stand alone chairs. The tables are big enough to accommodate the dishes with ease. The Bar area inside is hidden as one walks into the restaurant with one's back towards it. Only when one is seated and looks around that the bar is visible. In terms of decor the place is just decent, but does not have any character of the restaurant, which was a downer. I as a designer would ask them to add more character to the place either through pictures or accessories.

The service like I always say makes our breaks a place and in that department Medium WellDone has really done well to train its staff. From the person on the phone taking our reservations to guiding us to the restaurant, from the host to the server and the chef, everyone tried their best to please us. They server was quite knowledgeable about the menu and lavish with suggestions. The staff overall seemed to be concerned about the experience and how to better it. One one grouse that in trying to help us get a better experience they went a little overboard, and the over-zeal bordered sometimes on invading our private space. My suggestion be attentive but not overzealous.

Food is what we go for and I have always maintained that my hunt for good steaks in Delhi is always on as I have never come across a good cut meat yet. Sadly, for me the hunt did not end with Medium WellDone and even though a lot of effort has been put into advertising this place a heaven for carnivores, the steak was like any other I have tasted before in town. The tenderloin cut was not the kind I have seen around the world and the medium rare done was a little more soggy than I have had. The outer skin should have been grilled more, and somehow the fragrance of the grill was missing. The mashed potatoes on the side lacked the texture and were softer than what they should've been. The barbeque sauce was nice and had a different taste to it, if that was made in the kitchen. I expected much more precision and attention to detail from a place which is projecting itself as a Steakhouse.

I would suggest the Stuffed Gooey Potato Skin in starters for vegetarians which has a nice tangy filling. For meat lovers the Caribbean Jerk Chicken was an excellent suggestion by the server, served with olives hanging from hooks. The Bacon wrapped Chicken was average and the Bacon was at places extra crispy or extra soggy. The texture was not even. The chicken tasted better than the bacon but the dish as a whole did not leave a mark. Surprisingly, for this non-vegetarian paradise the Holy veg burger was the one which got a positive vote from all of us. So don't be disappointed if you are a vegetarian, this place does have a small but good share for the veggie lovers. The cold coffee ordered was very light, and thin and even when they were kind enough to replace it, it did not work. The staff however was thoughtful enough not to bill us the amount for the coffee considering it went untouched. Again the staff is the best thing about this place. My suggestion, work on the grills and add a little more flavour to them. If a place is being touted as a Steakhouse and charging a bomb for it, I expect them to have impeccable food done to perfection.

There is a lot on the menu I would love to try and perhaps the only reason (besides the great service) I might visit them again.

• Visited July 2013