“A fine hotel in a great location”

Vivanta by Taj - Gurgaon, NCR
Ranked #10 of 229 Hotels in Gurugram (Gurgaon)
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
“A fine hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

It's still only a few weeks since this hotel opened so there are finishing touches being made that I'm told will be complete shortly
The architecture is modern and rooms are very well appointed - I particularly like the electric blinds in the bathroom!
But it's the staff that make a hotel and whilst they are yet to get into a rhythm I would say they're some of the nicest and most keen to please that I've experienced in the whole of Delhi
Road Transport is a big problem in this area, particularly if you want to access central Delhi but this hotel is right next to Huda City metro station (at the end if the yellow line) which means for a meagre sum (about 50c US) you can take a clean and efficient train into town.
At time of writing the place is new - they will get it right and when it starts filling up I'm sure the staff are more than a match for the challenges ahead
Incidentally a previous reviewer was keen to point out a couple if other hotels by another chain nearby - I've stayed in both Oberoi offerings and would come back here every time - this is better, less pretentious and far far better value than those two

• Stayed April 2013
Ajit P, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Gurgaon, NCR, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

This is apropos your feedback regarding your stay at Vivanta by Taj - Gurgaon, NCR. I have also received your other feedback, which you have directed personally to me.

I thank you for your time to intimate us about your positive experiences at the hotel and have conveyed your kind words of appreciation to the personnel concerned. I am particularly grateful for your remarks with regards to the warmth and efforts displayed by the hotel team to you.

I would also like to have you know that the Swimming Pool is now open and completely operational. My offer for the spa, as intimated to you in my written correspondence, also still remains open to you. When you visit next, I shall be delighted for you to experience the Jiva Spa, which remains our very own internationally-renowned award-winning spa brand.

I shall look forward to personally welcoming you back to your home in Gurgaon, at Vivanta by Taj, when you visit next.

In the interim, I certainly do hope that you will recommend this hotel to your friends and colleagues who wish to visit Gurgaon.

Ajit Pavithran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Did not stay at the hotel but dined! The food at the coffee shop is good no doubt! and the service quite quick. but in the typical Taj style- overbearing and intrusive to a great extent!
The rooms are large and well decorated with decent views.

However, for the amount you would pay- you would be much better off staying either at the Trident or the Leela which are both in better locations and have superlative service.

The hotel is busy promoting its Thai Restaurant which is soon to be launched. However, after a poor experience at the Taj Pavillion at the Taj President in Mumbai- I would recommend that you stick to the chinese food at 361, The Oberoi, Gurgaon for a authentic thai experience in Gurgaon.

The restaurants at the west-in hotel are superb too and the service is great yet subtle!

An average hotel! Go for the Trident, Westin or the Leela instead!

I would have given this review 2 stars, however the defining point was the General Manager- I am told he is from the Oberoi Centre of Learning and Development- I do hope that he will be able to mimic the succes of the Oberoi Hotels, at this property!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank anirudhvb
Dear Guest

This is apropos your feedback regarding your stay at Vivanta by Taj, Gurgaon.

I thank you for your time to intimate us about your thoughts regarding the hotel.

It is disappointing to know that you did not find the hotel suitable to your liking. At Taj Hotels, we have always strived to ensure a superior level of service and hospitality, and with Brand Vivanta By Taj, we have yet again redefined the guest experience in the Upper Upscale segment of hotels in India.

By sheer design, usage of perhaps the most luxurious material palette you may find in hotels in Gurgaon and through innovative, yet warm and efficient service, Vivanta By Taj, Gurgaon aims to delight our guests - both corporate and leisure; as well as resident and non-resident alike - in surprisingly unexpected ways.

Our iconic, international award-winning brand, Thai Pavilion is also now open, and I am sure, will add to the hotel's Food & Beverage experiences.

However, I have made good note of your comments and have personally addressed them to ensure that corrective action is taken.

I shall look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Gurgaon, at Vivanta by Taj - Gurgaon, when you visit next, and assure you of our utmost and careful attention to all your needs.

In the interim, please feel free to contact me for any assistance or requirement you may have.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights. Newly opened property, calm of oasis in the concrete jungle of Gurgoan Usual Taj hospitality, some teething problems but I am sure will be resolved in time. Thai restaurant, swimming pool not operational yet. Friendly staff all too eager to please, which somewhat can be overbearing. Not much view from the room, but then concrete jungle of Gurgoan not much view is expected. Walking distance from Metro, takes 40 or so mins. to central Delhi. Finally Jiva Spa in North India but the staff seems a little unsure compared to there Mumbai staff.
Overall good place to stay and I am sure will improve even more given time.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near lifts
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Harbinder
Ajit P, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Gurgaon, NCR, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

This is apropos your feedback regarding your stay at Vivanta By Taj - Gurgaon, NCR.

I am indeed disappointed to note that the service attention was at times, overbearing and intrusive, and at the spa was hesitant. Your feedback has been personally addressed with the hotel eam, to ensure corrective action is taken and it does not recur.

Just so you may be aware, the swimming pool of the hotel is due to be operational in the coming week. We are also proud to announce the offical launch of Thai Pavilion, our iconic award-winning restaurant brand, on Monday, 22nd April. We shall be delighted for you to experience it on your next stay.

The hotel team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to an even more improved and enhanced Vivanta By Taj – Gurgaon, NCR, when you intend to visit next.

Pune, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I'd gone and stayed a couple of nights, about a week after its grand opening and while its location is great convenience wise and its done up quite well (very blingy decor), there were some issues in terms of pool not being operational (was warned about it while making the booking) and the alternate restaurant (the Thai one) not yet open. Also, the staff, while there were no negatives as such, wasn't upto the standard I've encountered at other Taj properties (minor things really like no upgrade despite being a Gold card holder etc). The F&B was good, with the staff there being very attentive to our needs. Will be visiting again shortly and will then have a better chance to assess how things have progressed

Room Tip: Would avoid the rooms facing the metro as there is a large apartment complex right in front
Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ApurvNagpal
Dear Guest,

I am indeed disappointed to note that several aspects of service didn't match up to your expectations of the legendary Taj service one is accustomed to. Your feedback has been personally addressed with the hotel team, to ensure corrective action is taken and I am sure you will notice a significant improvement and more immaculate attention.

Just so you may be aware, the swimming pool of the hotel is due to be operational in the coming week. We are also proud to announce the offical launch of Thai Pavilion, our iconic award-winning restaurant brand, on Monday, 22nd April. We shall be delighted to have you experience the restaurant on your next visit.

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Me and my husband stayed there for a day,we had been travelling for almost a week and were really tired and wanted a nice comfortable stay,and this hotel was actually a good choice.staff was very courteous,approachable and friendly.the duty manager(a female)was really welcoming.they had good selection of food and beverages.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deepti_par83
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your time to intimate us about your positive experiences at the hotel and have conveyed your kind words of appreciation to the concerned departments and personnel.

I shall look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Gurgaon, at Vivanta by Taj, when you visit next.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is brand new and there were some teething problems. I arrived at 11.30pm and they said my room wasn't ready. This was rectified after about 15 minutes. The clothes hangar bar fell off and when I pulled out my adapter the panel came off with it. They got my room rates wrong on check-out. On the plus side, the hotel is visually very pleasant and the spa was very good. Service staff were a little inexperienced but keen to please. I traveled with a few colleagues and we all agreed it isn't the same quality as the Oberoi or Trident where we usually stay. However it was much closer to our office which saves you the hassle of the awful Gurgaon traffic at peak hours. I would stay here again given the proximity to our offices but would pick the Oberoi or Trident for a vacation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank anya77
Ajit P, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Gurgaon, NCR, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

This is apropos your feedback regarding your stay at Vivanta by Taj, Gurgaon.

I thank you for your time to intimate us about your thoughts regarding the services of the hotel. You were indeed one of the first guests to visit and stay at the hotel, when it had opened anew.

I am indeed disappointed to note that you found some services of the hotel to be below par; especially the loose bedside electrical panel, the erroneous charge of you room rate and a loosely fitted clothes bar.

I have made good note of your comments and have personally addressed them to ensure that corrective action is taken so that they do not recur.

I urge you to please treat this as a solitary incident and hope it doesn’t mar the overall impression you hold of the hotel.

I shall look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Bangalore, at Vivanta by Taj - Gurgaon, when you visit next, and assure you of our utmost and careful attention to all your needs.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I just returned from a 4 business day trip from Gurgaon. Stayed in Vivanta by Taj, Gurgaon for the period of 3 nights & 4 days and enjoyed the place thoroughly.

The checkin was smooth and was done in short time. The property is rather new and was upgraded complimentary. The rooms are large, well lit , well stocked and spanking clean .. Loved it the minute i entered the room the Gym is very good and the view is quite nice with the Metro trains coasting by every few minutes. The staff were very helpful as the treadmil was a new model and i was not familiar with it.

the room service & food in room was tried by me once and the menu availability was rather small. However the food quality was really good and had a sumptious meal with excellent service . The breakfast spread was also rather small in the first 2 days but the last day was quite decent and the buffet spread of the breakfast was out :-) ...

the service is excellent and you have helpfull staff lingering around you all the time enquiring for any support. this is very Taj atmosphere and helps you settle down immediately. the hotel is well situated in terms of travel options ... it is right next to the metro station and this can be used to travel across Delhi & NCR thru connecting trains etc.

the place is rather expensive but considering the metro prices across i would still say it is acceptable. Overall a very pleasant & enjoyable experience and added a few smiles to my day :-) :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a Upgrade and you might get a surpising yes :-) ... the property is rather new and occupancy...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

This is apropos your written feedback regarding your stay at Vivanta by Taj - Gurgaon, NCR.

I thank you for your time to intimate us about your positive experiences at the hotel, and have conveyed them to the hotel team.

I certainly do hope that you will recommend our hotel to your friends and colleagues who wish to visit Gurgaon.