“Beautiful Stay at the Trident”
Review of Trident, Gurgaon

Trident, Gurgaon
Ranked #2 of 233 Hotels in Gurugram (Gurgaon)
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful Stay at the Trident”
Reviewed August 15, 2008

The Trident is a great for both business and a get-away for travelers. My company's office was in Gurgaon so this was a perfect place for me to stay being a single woman. If I had stayed in Delhi proper, the ride to the airport would have been much longer so this was a good location. This was my first trip to India and Delhi.

When I arrived in Delhi at 3am, I walked through the airport and was met by Trident personnel and quickly escorted to the car. (I booked the car service with the hotel before I arrived in India). The uniformed driver was very courteous and offered bottled water on the ride to the hotel. When we got to the hotel about 20 minutes later, we entered through a manned gate and onto beautiful hotel premises. I was again escorted into the lobby by way of their beautiful "infinity" pool outside the lobby. It was beautiful even at night. (see uploaded pictures here on TripAdvisor). As soon as I walked in, one of the receptionists escorted me to my room.

All the rooms are on one level (which made me a little nervous at first). The room was beautiful though (I had a deluxe king room, which means the basic room anyway) and all my check-in was done there in the room (not at the front desk like most hotels do). The room had a bowl of red rose petals as an elegant touch and free fruit and bottled water. Small touches like mosquito repellant are put in the room, too. Your room will always have some type of faint essential oil/aromatherapy smell because they have it everywhere in the hotel; it's very nice! Overall, the hotel is beautiful, all areas. I only wish I had seen peacocks in the garden!

I used their fitness center about 1/2 the time I was there and was impressed that they have their facilities personnel come in and clean every hour! After every meal in their Cilantro restuarant, the floors are buffed to a shine. The standards for cleanliness are SUPER high; even one of the hotel workers told me that their standard is higher than most hotels. The guest pool is an infinity pool and is absolutely great to see, jump in, or lounge by.

I also used the Spa services and had a one hour massage that was beyond any I received in some of the nicest spas in the US. They are a little pricey but it was a good service and great staff. Everyone greets you no matter where you are; on a simple walk from my room to the restaurant, you will be greeted by at least 3-5 people from the hotel.

Car service is easy to book, too, to go anywhere you'd like in Delhi. I found the prices here higher than when I was in Bombay. Unless you're adventurous and/or have someone traveling with you, I wouldn't recommend using the rickshaws or other taxis to get around. I used the hotel's car service to go to work each day and it was much more convenient for me. And trust me, you don't want to rent a car and drive on your own. Just use the hotel's car service.

There were not a lot of children which made me like this place even more. The Trident seemed more like a resort to me than a hotel because of the level of service and it's single level format. You will receive top-notch treatment, I can guarantee you. Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — Level of service
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Irene W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Hong Kong
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Spent 2 weeks on a business trip at the Trident, which is grossly overpriced, but considering the traffic to/from Delhi and it's proximity to my office, there weren't a lot of options available.
After getting out of the taxi and walking up a few steps, I came upon a large pool of running water and felt relaxed, before walking into the hotel lobby. This is quite a nice experience, passing by the pool (*not the swimming pool*) every night before getting back to my room. It seems like a little oasis away from the dust and pollution of the streets outside. The hotel is spread out over one floor only, no lifts.

Room was nice and clean, with view on another pool of water (*not swimming pool*). 3 complimentary mangoes/ fruit bowl every day. Large Samsung LCD tv and bedside clock radio with optional aux plug for my mp3 was a nice touch. Bathtub did not have a full shower curtain, instead it had a half shower door, which ended up splashing a lot of water onto the bathroom floor, which leaked into the foyer/ entrance hallway every night. Luckily it dries up before the next morning (and foyer not carpeted).

Lobby is sparse, but there's a comfortable bar (drinks etc). The Japanese restaurant was better than expected (truth be told, I did not have high expectations). The stir fried udon was quite good, as was the udon in soup and pork chop with egg on rice. Major complaint -- although I went down to the buffet breakfast for 2 weeks, never once did my coffee arrive at the beginning of my breakfast. Half the time it arrived towards the end of my breakfast, despite repeated requests and gestures, to multiple waiters/ waitresses. Service is slow to mediocre, I always asked for the bill before I started eating.

There were multiple blackouts throughout the 2 weeks, longest lasting 10 min, mostly just 20 sec or so. But I suppose this is common in this area. The candles in the dining area/ hallways were not just for show/ fragrance/ aromatherapy!

Check your bill when checking out, I was charged a chocolate bar which I did not consume (basically I do not use the minibar, so that was easy to catch). Same thing happened to my colleague, except he got charged for 2 chocolate bars.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank vradal
London
Reviewed May 18, 2008

I actually moved to this hotel when a vacancy came up and boy was i pleased i did! What an experience...magnificent food, great pool and tremendous service. Visually it is very impressive indeed.

Several restaurants, one of which is excellent Japanese; really some of the best i've tased and have eaten sushi/sashimi all over the world - i was very impressed though somewhat carbon footprint guilty when told it was flown in from Japan and Scotland!

Pool is great, quiet and surprisingly clean aired given all the dust and general pollution in the enormous building site which is ?Gurgaon!
Room was modern and practical though internet service was chargeable and expensive (why do hotels persist in doing this??!).
Only real pain was one which is common with many modern hotels with long corridoors...the noise and echoing of every door slamming shut as guests come and go! Why can't hotels put a second door between the bedroom area and the main door/hall/bathroom entrance?!!!!! Given i was still on UK time this was annoying being woken up but at least i got to go to the pool earlier and sleep/sunbathe there!!

This is a great hotel and recommend it!

• Liked — cool modern feel
  • Disliked — noise of rom doors closing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 12, 2008

We stayed at the Trident Hilton as we had a one day transit in Delhi on our way back to the states. It was about 20 minutes away from the International airport. The hotel design and architecture was simply stunning. They treated us really well. Everyone was very corteous and helpful.

The room was simply marevelous. Havent seen that level of luxury and comfort even at the Ritz in the US.

The food was OK, not worth the price we paid for room service. We ordered some pasta and another Indian dish. Though it was a meal, it wasnt worth $75.

Their airport pickup was cost effect and the cars were really nice and the chauffer was very corteous and assisted with the bags and did not expect a tip. Actually, the hotel has a NO tip policy.

We stayed here using my Hilton Honors points. So it was totatlly worth it. I would say we really got value for every single HH point I spent there. For a similar category hotel in any major city in the US, we wouldnt have gotten one tenth the luxury and service that we found here.

We are totally impressed and would recommend it to everyone, especially those using their points to stay here. You can really stretch the value of your points at this hotel.

• Liked — The quality of the room, the luxury of the hotel, the architecture of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Located about 30 minutes from the international airport (not a bad drive now that the new toll road is open), this was my favorite hotel of my entire trip (too bad we were only using it as a "day room", yet without the discounted rate). We used frequent flyer miles (30K) for our stay, which was pricing out at $500+ if paid directly. Beautiful property, with lots of ponds and water, great pool, but perhaps a few sun lounger chairs light. Quite pretty outside at night, when everything is lit up by torches, candles, etc. Pool bar, drinks/food service at the pool, lobby bar, and two other restaurants (one more formal than the other, one having outdoor seating as well as indoor). Nice spa by the pool (though not the cheapest prices I had seen in India), and two beautiful shops near the lobby. Our room was lovely, but we were told that we received an upgrade for being Gold Passport members (either that or a free breakfast, which we weren't going to be present for) with everything one could want. Excellent bathroom, with separate soaking tub and standing shower, nice toiletries (can't recall the brand, though), hairdryer, robes, slippers, complimentary water, fruit plate, great chocolates at evening turndown. We booked a pre-paid taxi at the airport to the hotel (about $10), but took the $40 hotel car service back to the airport (arranged by the hotel, in the most comfortable car we had seen on our entire trip, added to the bill, worth the splurge). I would absolutely return to this hotel if given the opportunity, but sadly, it will cease its affiliation with Hilton next month so no more opportunities for upgrades or free stays.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Antwerp
Reviewed February 21, 2008

This was my 2nd stay for a week business trip in Gurgaon.

Had to cancell one night 2 days prior to arrival, but was charged the full night. Slightly over...

Hotel is overall very nice, modern and well furbished, nice grounds, nice pool area, nice restaurants, but no real place to sit in garden to relax.

Service is very professional but somehow too commercial, and somewhat too pushy. One could argue that this is hospitality, to me it sounded overselling. Same when ordering roomservice: the person taking the order was too pushy on wines, etc...

Overall I had the impression service was better 2 years back, and prices were not that high.

Next time I may try out the Crowne Plaza to compare.

• Liked — Quiet place to stay with nice rooms & nice pool
  • Disliked — overpriced!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2008

I travel to Delhi/Gurgaon for business 2x a year. People always told me the Trident Hilton is the best hotel in the area, but up until this time it was never available.

I stayed for 4-5 nights. Service is excellent, rooms spacious, the restaurants exceptionally good. Nice pool with dramatic lighting to stay at. If you're looking for an oasis to get away from the crazy bustle of India - and you don't mind paying an arm and a leg - it probably can't be beat.

The problem is it's almost too insulated. If you're the type who wants to feel somehow connected to the place you're in, this is not it. The various other 4-5 star hotels in Southern Delhi, while in places a bit more decrepit or old-fashioned, seem more real. The fact that apart from hotel staff I did not see a single Indian at the Trident Hilton says it all.

• Liked — Oasis of calm, cleanliness, great service
  • Disliked — Feel removed from the world around
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business