“Not for Western travelers, worst hotel in our entire two week trip”

United-21 Citymark – Gurgaon
Ranked #71 of 233 Hotels in Gurugram (Gurgaon)
west seattle, WA
“Not for Western travelers, worst hotel in our entire two week trip”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were on a two week trip through Thailand, India and Nepal, and stayed in several hotels during our travels. This was the absolute worst hotel of our trip, and definitely one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. Below is a list of the issues we encountered during our stay. I feel I need to provide a negative review online to warn other travelers about the faulty aspects of this hotel. You know how they say you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. That saying completely applies to this property. Don't be fooled by the cosmetic remodeling and fancy touches in the lobby - if you look close, it's still a terrible, poorly insulated and cheap hotel with rude staff.

1. When I arrived at the reception area to check in, I patiently waited to be helped. The hotel employee asked me what he could help with. I told him, "I need to check in to my room." He didn't respond or ask me to sit down. He answered the phone 4 times before asking me again what I needed help with. I repeated, "I need to check into my room." He then got up from his chair and left without saying anything. Then another hotel employee came out and asked what I needed help with. I said, for the third time, "I need to check into my room," and this guy then answered the phone several times without helping me or responding. After his last phone call, he also abruptly got up and left. Then a woman came out and asked me what she could help with. I repeated the same request for the fourth time. She got my name and couldn't find it in the system. She then asked me if I needed to make a reservation. I repeated that I had a reservation, that the hotel driver had just picked me up from the airport. She still couldn't find my information in the system. After about 10 more minutes of her looking, and answering the phone, she asked me for "proof of my reservation." I handed over my paperwork and she was finally able to find the room reservation. After 20 minutes of waiting at the reception area, we finally had a room key. Not smooth, not organized and not friendly check-in at all. Not a good first impression.

2. Room Service was terrible. My sister and I tried to order a bowl of soup and a sandwich from the room service menu. The soup was missing half of the listed ingredients and was only half full of soup (not a full bowl). The room service is ridiculously expensive too. The chicken sandwich and fries were cold by the time they arrived at the room, and the "side salad" mentioned in the menu was three tiny pieces of wilted lettuce in a small bowl with water in the bottom. It was disgusting. We called the room service attendants to ask why our food was incorrect and cold, and spent the next 20 minutes trying to find somebody who could speak English and answer our questions. We finally put the food outside the room and didn't have dinner at all that night. The kitchen staff have NO clue what ingredients are printed on the room menus.

3. Room was problematic. When we arrived, the fridge in the room was unplugged. When we plugged the fridge in, in order to have cold bottled water, the fridge made a huge clunking noise all night. The fridge definitely did not work right, and we are guessing it was unplugged due to the noise. The bathroom clearly had not been remodeled like the rest of the room. The bathtub did not drain at all. It was dirty and disgusting. Definitely not a bathing situation to our standards.

4. The hotel has poor noise insulation and hotel staff did not care that people were partying in the hallway after 11pm at night. My sister and I had an early morning flight to catch the next day. There was a group of loud drunk men playing pool right outside our room, and another group of loud drunk men playing ping pong one floor up from our room. We could hear EVERYTHING from inside our room. We complained to the front desk no less than 10 times and they did nothing. I had to walk down to the front desk at midnight to threaten to check out of the hotel. Only then was the hotel staff willing to ask the groups of drunk men to be quiet and respectful of other guests. My sister and I barely got a few hours of sleep before needing to leave for our flight. At 6am in the morning, one of the staff was loudly cleaning and banging around the pool table area outside our room. So we were woken up to loud noises by the staff early in the morning as well. My sister had to ask them to be quiet in the morning.

5. Breakfast was inedible. The potatoes had hair in them. After finding the hair, and experiencing the poor dinner the previous night, we decided to not eat anything else at the hotel. Clearly there are menu and hygiene issues that the hotel needs to address.

6. Front desk was rude upon check out. They didn't ask how our stay was or help us arrange car service. Because we didn't want to take the hotel car, and instead wanted a taxi to the airport, the woman at the front desk was unwilling to call us a taxi and instead gave us a number to call for ourselves. This was rude and unhelpful, and she definitely had an attitude problem because we didn't want to use the hotel car.

We will never stay at this hotel again, and will recommend others to avoid their other properties at all costs. The food was terrible, customer service staff rude and untrained, and we couldn't sleep due to noise from the staff and other guests. Not to mention the gross bathroom and non-working fridge in our room. Of all the hotels on our two week trip, this was also the most expensive. This was the last night of our trip, and I was trying to splurge a little so we could relax before our long journey back home. Staying at this hotel was the worst experience of our trip.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs. Stay in Delhi-- much closer to attractions.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank wseattlegirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New Delhi
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Pleasant and Comfortable stay ,rooms are spacious with all modern amenities, room service is quick and food was also good. Beautifully designed hotel with friendly and courteous staff . On the whole I will for sure visit again and recommend to all of my friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
tokyo
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I cannot be connected to the Internet in most rooms
The electric wave strength is good
I did not know whether there was the interference of the channel, but was not able to be connected for one week.
I can be connected when in the corridor, but am very very late

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed recently for three days at this hotel.

This hotel is in a very busy market area. The location is a big negative for the hotel. I presume rainy season will be terrible at this place. Additionally it is difficult to locate as well. I do like the fact that you can walk few meters and buy most of the things like stationary, medicines etc which is difficult to imagine in Gurgaon where for a tooth brush you have to enter a shopping mall. There are no great views either for any of the rooms. So dont bother.

Rooms are spacious and clean. One of the walls in my room had seepage of water which I feel must be an one off case. Bed was nice. Linen were clean. A very small table if you want to work, just can hold a laptop. The toiletries were of good quality. I had a serious problem with hot water. The maximum you can get is just lukewarm water except on one day I got reasonably hot water for a bath. If you are used to take bath in hot water, you have to check with the hotel for some other arrangement. I hated this as I was staying here in winter.

Restaurant is good. Spread is limited for buffet. If you plan to stay for long duration, expect many repetitions. Many dishes are oriental cuisine. The menu for room service and a-la-carte is towards the expensive side. There was a mini bar which was empty.

Service was generally good especially the restaurant staff and house-keeping staff. But the front desk was terrible. Many in my group had issues with front desk. I had two major issues. When I checked in, a sweet spoken lady told me to go to the room and she will send the luggage with someone. It was already late and I wanted to change and crash on bed badly. However no one turned up even after 30 minutes. When I went down to the reception my bag was still there unattended and front desk lady was not even remembering that she had to send the bag to room. Another day I requested for wi-fi and she told she will send someone in 10 minutes who never turned up even after 4 days. I didn't bother as I had data card.

They also host private parties and functions. Those days will be noisy and you need ear plugs for a good sleep in some rooms.

Rest was OK.

I will recommend this as a budget business hotel.

Room Tip: third floor towards the backside.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dr_Placebo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The entire hotel is done up very nicely - tastefully done-up rooms, good lobby and other facilities. The staff is always available and eager to help. The reastaurant has a good ambience and serves a very good spread. The location is slightly compromised. But once you are inside the hotel, you forget everything and enjoy your stay.
However, there was one major glitch during the 3 days of my stay. The hotel has a banquet hall on the top floor which is given out for parties. Two out of the 3 nights I stayed, there was a DJ in the banquet. The music was so loud that the entire hotel was literally vibrating. So much so, the glass panel of the washroom in my room started shaking and making noise! The music was unlimately stopped after several follow-ups around midnight on both occasions. If this part is taken care of by the management, the hotel is a "Yes" anytime.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rakesh S
Budaors, Hungary
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a very elegant hotel in the middle of a market section. Unfortunately, far away from the Delhi center, and the area around the hotel is not a nice place.
We traveled with a group , spent two pleasant nights in this hostel. The restaurant is good, the staff is very friendly.,the rooms are quite.We got free internet.Recommended stopover.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Conducted a conference there. Approach to the hotel is chaotic. i feel that's the only drawback of this hotel.
Although it's a old building but they have decked it up pretty well.
Staff is super-courteous. Management is co-operative and very helpful.
they have a huge conference hall in the top floor.
Restaurant located near the entrance, on the left while entering. Nice ambiance Food is good.
Rooms have old plumbing but it's clean.
All-in-all it's a very good "value for money" hotel.
Would certainly visit this place again given the attitude of their staff.

Haven't tried the spa though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business