We were on a two week trip through Thailand, India and Nepal, and stayed in several hotels during our travels. This was the absolute worst hotel of our trip, and definitely one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. Below is a list of the issues we encountered during our stay. I feel I need to provide a negative review online to warn other travelers about the faulty aspects of this hotel. You know how they say you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. That saying completely applies to this property. Don't be fooled by the cosmetic remodeling and fancy touches in the lobby - if you look close, it's still a terrible, poorly insulated and cheap hotel with rude staff.
1. When I arrived at the reception area to check in, I patiently waited to be helped. The hotel employee asked me what he could help with. I told him, "I need to check in to my room." He didn't respond or ask me to sit down. He answered the phone 4 times before asking me again what I needed help with. I repeated, "I need to check into my room." He then got up from his chair and left without saying anything. Then another hotel employee came out and asked what I needed help with. I said, for the third time, "I need to check into my room," and this guy then answered the phone several times without helping me or responding. After his last phone call, he also abruptly got up and left. Then a woman came out and asked me what she could help with. I repeated the same request for the fourth time. She got my name and couldn't find it in the system. She then asked me if I needed to make a reservation. I repeated that I had a reservation, that the hotel driver had just picked me up from the airport. She still couldn't find my information in the system. After about 10 more minutes of her looking, and answering the phone, she asked me for "proof of my reservation." I handed over my paperwork and she was finally able to find the room reservation. After 20 minutes of waiting at the reception area, we finally had a room key. Not smooth, not organized and not friendly check-in at all. Not a good first impression.
2. Room Service was terrible. My sister and I tried to order a bowl of soup and a sandwich from the room service menu. The soup was missing half of the listed ingredients and was only half full of soup (not a full bowl). The room service is ridiculously expensive too. The chicken sandwich and fries were cold by the time they arrived at the room, and the "side salad" mentioned in the menu was three tiny pieces of wilted lettuce in a small bowl with water in the bottom. It was disgusting. We called the room service attendants to ask why our food was incorrect and cold, and spent the next 20 minutes trying to find somebody who could speak English and answer our questions. We finally put the food outside the room and didn't have dinner at all that night. The kitchen staff have NO clue what ingredients are printed on the room menus.
3. Room was problematic. When we arrived, the fridge in the room was unplugged. When we plugged the fridge in, in order to have cold bottled water, the fridge made a huge clunking noise all night. The fridge definitely did not work right, and we are guessing it was unplugged due to the noise. The bathroom clearly had not been remodeled like the rest of the room. The bathtub did not drain at all. It was dirty and disgusting. Definitely not a bathing situation to our standards.
4. The hotel has poor noise insulation and hotel staff did not care that people were partying in the hallway after 11pm at night. My sister and I had an early morning flight to catch the next day. There was a group of loud drunk men playing pool right outside our room, and another group of loud drunk men playing ping pong one floor up from our room. We could hear EVERYTHING from inside our room. We complained to the front desk no less than 10 times and they did nothing. I had to walk down to the front desk at midnight to threaten to check out of the hotel. Only then was the hotel staff willing to ask the groups of drunk men to be quiet and respectful of other guests. My sister and I barely got a few hours of sleep before needing to leave for our flight. At 6am in the morning, one of the staff was loudly cleaning and banging around the pool table area outside our room. So we were woken up to loud noises by the staff early in the morning as well. My sister had to ask them to be quiet in the morning.
5. Breakfast was inedible. The potatoes had hair in them. After finding the hair, and experiencing the poor dinner the previous night, we decided to not eat anything else at the hotel. Clearly there are menu and hygiene issues that the hotel needs to address.
6. Front desk was rude upon check out. They didn't ask how our stay was or help us arrange car service. Because we didn't want to take the hotel car, and instead wanted a taxi to the airport, the woman at the front desk was unwilling to call us a taxi and instead gave us a number to call for ourselves. This was rude and unhelpful, and she definitely had an attitude problem because we didn't want to use the hotel car.
We will never stay at this hotel again, and will recommend others to avoid their other properties at all costs. The food was terrible, customer service staff rude and untrained, and we couldn't sleep due to noise from the staff and other guests. Not to mention the gross bathroom and non-working fridge in our room. Of all the hotels on our two week trip, this was also the most expensive. This was the last night of our trip, and I was trying to splurge a little so we could relax before our long journey back home. Staying at this hotel was the worst experience of our trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- United 21 CityMark Hotel (4 Star Deluxe Property in the heart of Gurgaon) offers spacious, contemporary and comfortable accommodations in the heart of Gurgaon, providing easy access to most of the Corporate and Financial centers..CityMark hotel features 80 guest rooms with modern decor and countless amenities. Each of our rooms and suites caters to the varying needs, which combine warmth, exceptional service and state of the art technology in an inviting ambience, ensuring a pleasant and memorable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and HRS so you can book your United-21 Citymark – Gurgaon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.