“Extremely nice staff”

The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Surat
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I had last written a review on this hotel in July 2013. Stayed again after 2 months but Trip Advisor needs a gap of three months before another review can be written. That's a fair policy. I stayed there in November again. Things have improved quite substantially in terms of hospitality. After checking in at about 10 pm, I went for the buffet dinner. There were very few guests. I was pampered by the staff for 'trying' many good dishes. I had a home feel where one is persuaded to eat more. Being my third stay at least one staff member could recognize me.

Next day, during breakfast too, the attention was quite pleasant. As usual, each & every staff member greets guests right from Security staff at the entrance upto the House keeping staff. . Food variety remains practically endless. On the second evening, the Jr Chef, Mr Ashutosh Pandey came over to my room with a special desert and an offer to prepare 1-2 dishes exclusively for me. True to the promise, he did prepare the special Dhaabaa Daal for me which I wanted a bit oily & spicy. he did bring the same as I wanted that too within 5 minutes. It tasted so good. I thank all the staff for making me feel special.

Another good thing that I liked immensely is the trip by House keeping trolly at about 5 pm asking each availble guest whether he needs any extra toiletries. Its so good. Also, i have the habit of spreading out my belongings in random fashion. I found the same nicely organized. Courtesy, the House keeping staff. Special feature of the bath rooms is a large round mirror. In addition, there is a good magnifying mirror that prompted me to trim my grown up mustaches. I wish there was matching lighting around these nice mirrors!

The hotel is excellent value for money and leave lasting memories.

Room Tip: River view rooms are good if you would in the room during the day time. As such all rooms are good a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Amit_Mehta_TGH, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Surat!

I am delighted to note that overall you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. I have personally shared your feedback with all our associates esp. with Chef Ashutosh.

It is feedback from esteemed guests like you that helps us to constantly introspect our systems and procedures and assists us in striving for a better product and service.

We thank you once again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Gateway Hotel, Surat.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

for business i mostly traveling one city to another another to another so in the that i get lots of hotel review in this hotel i just visited on august for 1 night i really liked the hotel n the room i got my diner n lunch n breakfast on my time n the staff was really nice n the over all experience is good with this hotel really if u r going on Surat then will make sure recommending u for this n this hotel

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Amit_Mehta_TGH, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Surat!

I am delighted to note that overall you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. I have personally shared your feedback with all our associates.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Room was quite spacious and view of the Tapti River from the glass window was stunning. Staff was quite helpful and courteous and they displayed remarkable hospitability. Ambience of the hotel was quite impressive. Quite spread out Buffet dinner and breakfast contained delicious items of different tastes. It was a short one night stay on a business trip and was quite comfortable and relaxing.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the river side offers great view of Tapti river.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Amit_Mehta_TGH, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Reviewed November 8, 2013

The room provided was excellent, they had upgraded us to a superior room.
The complimentary breakfast was very good. The ambiance of the Hotel was excellent.
The service at their Hotel needs to be improved since the waiter just would not serve the guests sitting at the corner table.

Room Tip: Definitely would recommend a stay at this Hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Amit_Mehta_TGH, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Surat!

I am pleased to note that overall you enjoyed your stay and that services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction.

I regret to note about the inconvenience caused to you due to the lack of efficient service in the restaurant. Your feedback is really important for us and I have personally shared the same with my team to ensure corrective action. I have also shared your positive feedback with my team.

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

With most hotels in India, we found the rooms to be a let down after seeing a fantastic lobby. This is most definately not the case at the Gateway Hotel in Surat. Rooms are all immaculate and well furnished. The room we stayed had a great view of the adjacent river. Staff are all attentive, friendly and extremely knowledgeable about the area...Nitesh, Dhrishtie, Shama and Rohit always went out of their way to assist us. The suppers at the flow cafe were delicious and extremely well priced. Top level hotel, top level staff...would most definately recommend!!

• Stayed: November 2013
Amit_Mehta_TGH, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Surat!

I am delighted to note that overall you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. I have personally shared your feedback with all our associates esp. with Nitesh, Dhrishtie, Shama & Rohit.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The front desk staff is well trained to welcome the guest at the reception. The check-in formalities require no much time before they handover the keys of the room. The bell boy is ready to take the luggage to the room.
Fortunately I had been upgraded to "Tapi Rivier facing room" with nice views of river Tapi from the room. A cup of tea and looking outside overflowing Tapi river is feeling like sitting and relaxing in some resort. What a feeling.....
The rooms are good, modern and clean. Bathroom is big with all the facilities.
The restaurant staff is very cheerful and ready to serve you as per your requirement. I especially like to mention restaurant executive "Tushar" who goes extra miles to service the guest. Thanks "Tushar" for your superb service. The Chef has personally met me and asked me my choice of food so that he can make according to my taste.
Overall a memorable stay. Thanks Taj for maintaining the high standard levels.

Room Tip: Tapi facing rooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Amit_Mehta_TGH, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Surat!

I am delighted to note that overall you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. I have personally shared your feedback with all our associates esp. with Tushar & Chef.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Firstly, the hotel lacks any signages. For a first time traveller entering the city at night on road, its a little difficult locating the place. The public areas are in line with Taj expectations, although the rooms, though clean and well kept, need some refurbishment. The staff is very courteous. The dinner buffet spread was quite ordinary. Have the breakfast and skip the dinner here. A good place to stay in Surat, overall.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Amit_Mehta_TGH, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Surat!

I regret to note about the inconvenience caused to you due to the lack of signage. Also have noted your feedback on the room & quality of dinner buffet. Your feedback is really important for us and I have personally shared the same with my team to ensure corrective action. I have also shared your positive feedback with my team.