“GOOD PROPERTY BUT NOT VALUE FOR MONEY” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Fern Gir Forest Resort

The Fern Gir Forest Resort
Vadodara, India
“GOOD PROPERTY BUT NOT VALUE FOR MONEY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stayed in villa with family.They committed me villa just near to pool but they alot it to other when we reached there. After 5 hours they allot me villa near to pool.Internet was not working.House keeping little poor.Ants and other insects are in room & toilet also.Landscaping Good But not Well Maintained. Spacious room. Restaurant staff excellent.

Room Tip: Good Property for family vacation.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Debasish M, General Manager at The Fern Gir Forest Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Values Guest,

Namaskar!!

Thank you for posting the review in TripAdvisor. Such constructive criticism is always meant for the betterment of our property and we thank you for that.

I apologize for the lapses and regret that we could not make you feel the value for money during your stay with us.

Your feedback has been shared with other colleagues and we have taken the immediate steps to resolve the same. Rooms have been deep cleaned and housekeeping staff has been briefed.

Regarding giving you the room late, we had a old couple who stayed previous night and due to some reasons his health was not well on check out. We had called doctor and he was suggested to take rest. The same thing was told to you on check-in also. Sir, I am sure you will treat the same not as a service issue, but our responsibility towards senior citizens.

Your appreciation about the restaurant staff has been shared with them for whom it is the biggest reward.

I am sure you will give another chance to come back and see the extra element changed. I would personally like to meet you on your check-in and ensure that your holidays with us is a grand one.

gm@theferngirforestresort.com
+9099049262

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

I had planned a 3 day trip to Gir with my kids and stayed at the Fern Gir Forest Resort based on its rating on tripadvisor and was happy with my decision.
It is a great property, well laid out and is great esp with children as they have many activities planned for the kids in the evenings.
The rooms are spacious (we stayed at the Wintergreen Cottages) and quite comfortable. What stood out was the service - the hotel staff was very supportive and responsive to requests.
The hotel is a short distance from Sinh Sadan where the safaris are conducted and we found it convenient to get to the place even at 5.30 am. for our morning safari.
The only downer was the food which was a bit of a letdown as the preparations were average. Overall we had a great experience and enjoyed our trip completely !!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Debasish M, General Manager at The Fern Gir Forest Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2014

Namaskar!!

Greetings from The Fern Gir Forest Resort, SASAN GIR.

Thank you so much for sparing your time and posting the positive feedback in Tripadvisor.

We are glad that you liked the property very much.

Your positive review and appreciation always pushes us more to do that extra bit. We have noted your suggestion about the food and assure you that on your next visit, we will make your taste buds pamper with some classy food which will delight your mood.

Looking forward to welcome you back at your own The Fern Gir Forest Resort, SASAN GIR.

Indore, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

We planned a family trip (around 15 people) to Sasan Gir and stayed in this resort. We booked 4 cottages and 2 villas. At check-in, we were given all 6 rooms very close to each other that made our stay comfortable. All the rooms were well designed and room ambiance was excellent. Highlights of the resort include its artistic, echo-friendly, antique & natural landscaping (very relaxing to see those green well crafted gardens between the cottages and villas), evening activities, spa, pool, Indoor & outdoor sports, complimentary bicycle rides etc...

Some of the sports were paid but they didn't charge us for the same. Good Gesture by Mr. Debasish. We were also given family discount on Spa since we were in group,

Restaurant provided quality & tasty food along with good service. Folk Dance by Local people was fun and entertaining.

Few drawbacks that could be improved easily -

Room service was bit slow and especially water was given much later (as it was peak summer time, it is very important to provide sufficient water on time). Theater only had Lion Documentary movie. They should include some Hollywood and Bollywood movies also, which we wanted to see in the night. Also library should have some general books also other than jungle specific stuff.

Overall, the stay was comfortable, relaxing and rejuvenating.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Debasish M, General Manager at The Fern Gir Forest Resort, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Namaskar!!

Thank you for staying at The Fern Gir Forest Resort, SASAN and for sharing your feedback through Trip Advisor.

I am happy to know that you like the property ambiance, rooms and resort's landscaping, evening activities, spa, pool, Indoor & outdoor sports and bicycle rides.

At the same time I had noted your concerns about the room services. Understanding that the summer season has started and there is an urge of water immediately, we are ensuring that the water is placed in the rooms before the guest arrival. Regarding your suggestion about playing of other movies, we specifically promote the wild movies, so that the guest's can be educated about the flora, fauna and the habit of the royal king of the Sasan Jungle, the Lions. Other than Jungle stuff our library has books on photography, travelling, history, hospitality and art.

Sir, I really oblige for your kind words for me. Its the comments from generous guest's like you which always pushes me to give that extra bit.

I sincerely hope to see you very soon and have loads of fun at your own The Fern Gir Forest Resort, SASAN GIR.

+91 9099049262
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

My husband and I had planned a short 3 day visit to Gir, primarily to do the jungle safari and spot the jungle king, the lion, of course. We had had a tough work week and decided we should treat ourselves to some five star luxury by staying at the Fern, the top rated property on tripadvisor.

Fern turned out to be a bit of a confusing choice for us - while the property is quite a lovely, compact resort with impeccable staff service, the hotel is NOT really the first choice for a person prioritizing the jungle safari. The hotel guests were typically large families with multiple kids and so the hotel was obviously focused on children’s recreational activities, drawing contests, games etc.), swimming, DJ night and lawn games.

The hotel provided minimal guidance on safari bookings, had no dedicated car shuttles to and from the safari booking offices, no useful advice on how to facilitate a private safari permit!!
At the safari booking office, we noted some private car safari permits being issued to guests of the Taj Gateway, as well as regular safaris being facilitated by the Taj - clearly Taj was helping its clientele out. In fact while my husband and I queued for several hours at the safari booking office, Taj’s guests were being picked up from the hotel.

A particular mention of the hotels poor food spread – only vegetarian Indian food - we were so bored by the re-innovation of daal, paneer and potatoes in every meal, that we went out hunting for some food by day 2, despite our prepaid meals package.

So, all in all – wonderful hotel, great service, lovely rooms, bad food – but not worth it if you miss out on the safari itself!!! There are a variety of hotels that suit the budget and are closer to the safari and offer a more real “forest” experience. Maybe key is to visit Fern in low traffic times.

Room Tip: Go for the cottages if you need large rooms. The tents are a really good option as long as you dont...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Debanshi
Debasish M, General Manager at The Fern Gir Forest Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2014

Namaskar!!

Thank you for staying at The Fern Gir Forest Resort, SASAN and for sharing your feedback through TripAdvisor.

I am happy to know that you like the property and the service very much. At the same time we have noted your feedback regarding the Safari booking and the food.

The Safari permits are being issued by the forest department solely. Just to give a wider view, there are 30 Permits which are done per session. 15 are online and 15 are current. Online tickets are available at www.girlion.in. If the online permits are over, guests have to take it via current booking where the counter opens before 1 Hour only. As per the policy, local people are not allowed as the forest department ensures that the permit facility goes to outside visitors coming for the lion sighting. The hotel really has a very small role to play if the permits are over for that particular session.

We as a hotel offer guest assistance by making guest's understand the system and if possible, help them in getting the permit done by other relevant sources.

Regarding the food, we serve Veg. Food in our Restaurants. We have Non- veg options also which we provide in room service only.

I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity and the next time you stay with us I will try to relish your taste buds with some special non- veg dish cooked by our master chef;s.

As and when you plan a trip, please let me know so that I can meet you personally. Please let me know in case of any other assistance.

Gaurav Pramanik
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

I had had a bad experience with The Fern in Jaipur once, but that didn't really deter me from taking a chance.My friend booked us at the Fern in Gir National Park and i was delirious when i got to know, yet i gave it a try. To my utter surprise, it was really impressive, it had huge rooms and very comfortable beds. The service was top class, as we expect nothing better when we pay through our nose. But, the funny part is, we didn't even pay through our nose. Their customer service is the best things to experience, they really take care of your needs. It was indeed a far cry from The Fern Jaipur despite being the same chain. I had the most astounding stay at The Fern Gir National Park.

Room Tip: The food is really good.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Debasish M, General Manager at The Fern Gir Forest Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2014

Namaskar!!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

First of all, I am really sorry for your experience at our Fern Jaipur. The hotel is a 5 Star Eco-tel hotel and it might be a one of the cases where they could not deliver to your expectations. My request is to give them a second chance and I am sure their services will leave you mesmerized.

We are ecstatic to hear that you had a wonderful time with us and you liked the rooms and the services.

We work towards making each guest experience as the most memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was our first trip to Gir & very surprising to see Fern listed as #1 even about Taj Gateway.
Well, the ratings do not lie, as the room was really spacious & very comfortable.

The service was very excellent. Once the manager came up to us & asked why were not having the deserts. We replied that it is not to our liking & then he inquired what we liked & next day we had a chocolate pastries :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Namaskar!!

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to write this review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your trip.

Your generous comments are a source of encouragement for us to serve our customers to the best of our ability. Thank you for your time and we look forward to having you with us for another adventurous holiday!

Warm regards,

Ahmedabad, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

When today morning, I read Divya Bhaskar front page, the headline was "Sachin at Fern Gir Forest Resort" and I just got reminded of our lovely stay over there. I recollected that I still need to post my review on Trip Advisor. And the reason I am here..

We visited Gir Forest during 14-16 February 2014. Before reaching there, I read so much about the resort and its GM - Debashish on Trip Advisor. So, I just called him up and asked him to make some special arrangements for us on valentine day.

When we reached there, check in was very smooth and quick. We had no problems. The location of the resort is just perfect. near the river. Food was very yummy.. We must have gained 1-2 Kgs over there. LOL. The staff is very co-operative and friendly. They are always there to ensure that you have the best stay ever. Gym was good covering basic equipment. Pool was nice & clean. Spa amenities were also good and upto the mark. River view restaurant was the best option to have an evening tea. The hotel arranged for a special dinner by the pool side on Valentine Day. Next day it was traditional cultural dance event as well. It has mainly one restaurant, but they serve the food in the open gardens and river front desk as well which is simply amazing. 3 Cheers to Debashish and his team. Mr. Debashish is managing the whole resort in the best manner possible. Thumbs Up.

Hope to see you soon... Thanks for making our stay memorable..

Room Tip: We suggest the rooms instead of tents
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Debasish M, General Manager at The Fern Gir Forest Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2014

Namaskar!!

Thank you for staying at The Fern Gir Forest Resort, SASAN GIR and for sparing your valuable time to post a review of your stay on TripAdvisor.

Yes, Mr. Tendulkar was staying with us. You had been lucky for us.

We are delighted to note that you had a memorable experience and that you have rated us “5 out of 5”. This rating and your feedback regarding the location, the lunch, the gymnasium, the spa and the swimming pool are very rewarding and motivating.

The team is happy to learn that you were impressed with our overall service and facilities.

We await to welcome you back and spray the Fern magic on you in a short while.