“Wanna have a real authentic gujju thali????”
Review of Agashiye

Agashiye
Ranked #3 of 3,618 Restaurants in Ahmedabad
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: 'Agashiye' in Gujarati means on the terrace. This beautiful restaurant is spread over two huge terraces are inter-connected by a smaller one that houses a small wooden cottage. At Agashiye, the food is freshly prepared, a lot of it in the terrace kitchen where you can see it. Our attempt is to retain the distinct flavours of the ingredients and we use both spices and oil sparingly. The menu at Agashiye changes daily and varies seasonally too, so an item that you particularly liked during a previous visit may not be there on the menu. Though we hope you'd find another favourite!The staff at Agashiye comprises mostly of men from neighboring villages. During dinner, they will guide you to the waiting area where you will be served juice and starters. You will be informed when your table is ready. During lunch, you are seated at your table right away.The food is served in a kansa thali immediately on being seated at the table. The meal starts with a choice of Indian breads and ends with rice. Servings are unlimited. The staff has been instructed not to constantly hover around you and yet be attentive. In case you have a specific requirement, a supervisor will be there to assist you.Please don't be surprised if you are served a non-Gujarati dish or hear non-Indian music at Agashiye. It is neither an ethnic nor a theme restaurant. It is meant to be a dining experience in a contemporary Gujarati home.Agashiye can be booked for parties of up to 400 people with a buffet setting.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Had a wonderful meal Here. Anyone who wants to try out a really top class gujju meal must visit agashi.,. Located in an heritage building is serving nice varieties. The ride into the old city after dinner provided by the restaurant is a great experience specially for nri kids to know what it was like living here 100 years ago .

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Now this was indeed a pleasant surprise...Ahmedabad was just a transit destination and we only had enough time to visit Sabarmati Ashram ( Gandhiji connection )and Lal Darwaaza area to explore some shopping and food. And then I made a wise choice of searching good food in this area on tripadvisor and found this name 'Agashiye'. Now I am a hardcore non vegetarian and this was a pure vegetarian place and usually this would be 'So not my kind of place' written all over it . However as luck would have it I was with my parents who are vegetarians and we were also on a teerath trip so that kind of motivated me to have ‘GO’ for this place. And glad that I did it , we roamed around in lal darwaaza's crowded market ( just like any other old walled city area) and got nothing much there. Hired an auto rickshaw and asked him to drop us as Agashiye. The autowallah made a quick ride through non vegetarian lanes( people were actually cooking some chicken stuff in the lanes ) and soon left us at a red light pointing to the direction to walk ( as it was one way road). I walked around and suddenly saw an opulent building emerging that looked like a hotel and enquired with the guard there who nodded in affirmative. Meanwhile my father was doing his usual asking around and found some direction for gujju thali on opposite direction..whew. Anyway we entered the place and immediately I got a sense that we were into some experience. The place reeked of great ambience as if you are transported into a different colonial sort of an era. The helpful reception person guided us inside the building and we reached a place where another one ushered us into a lift for the terrace. 'Hmm terrace would be interesting esp. in monsoon rains', I thought however was told to brush aside any rainy affair as they had ‘aircon’ rooms. We entered a huge tented camp sort of place which had mist coming out of fans for cooling you and some nice wooden furniture with bandini work peeping all over us and were promptly served welcome drink of juice. Then we got a head server coming to us and asking us for our receipt?? Puzzled I asked and was told that they have only two options of Thali ( nice I love Thali concept - unlimited food he he ) one regular Rs 500 and one Rs 700( Deluxe ) plus tax with diff being the higher one has proportionately more food . Well we settled for regular thali and the nice guy said he would take care of billing later ( even though thats not the norm) . We waited patiently for next instructions and thought we would be served thaliz in this beautiful camp space though I was wondering if the mist from fans would make the food all soggy. Well then again we realised that we were to be served inside aircon rooms that Agashiye has tastefully done on the terrace. Soon we were escorted into one of the rooms ( one room btw had private luncheon going) There were about 10 four seater exquisite tables and chairs in this nice spacious rooms and now we were all set for our sumptuous visual and gastronomical treat.
Starting from nice laid napkins with a fragrant real rose , big enough thali with bowls and the server washing your hands at the table we felt noble enough with the kingstyle comfort. Then the food started to come in .. salad of cabbage and orange carrot ( nicely sauteyed )in earthen clay presentment, with condiments in form of white butter, amle ka murraba, papad, meetha churan ladoos ( my eyes were growing wider with excitement)..And we continued to revel with superbly tasting dishes , vegetable curries( dry and wet ) , curd dishes, gujju trademark & marwari kadhi with cute bajra roti and ghee dripping chapati..I felt I was being blessed by God for being there and enjoying the food .Even my critic father( as he prefers home cooked food and definitely not in favour of paying high price for outside food) was on overdrive with that kind of food and my mother who usually limits her intake went on uninhibited. It was an absolute pleasure to the core of my stomach and each of the dish was in ‘good ‘and ‘excellent’ rating. Of course we got more sweets in form of 'kheer' and also had amazing khichdi not to mention unlimited helpings were a whisper away. And then we finally made a stop at this journey and were almost getting up when the head server came and politely asked us to wait for 'paan' and 'ice cream'. And we were 'whaaaaat ' .no way ..but then before we could refuse the dishes were on our table . Well looking at ice cream I though it was just another strawberry scoop but then I remembered this is no ordinary place so dug my spoonful . And 'Lo behold ' was I surprised ..it was indeed most natural exotic ice cream I have ever had . Had my stomach full of food but then had to make way for this delicacy ..Yeah you bet I am a foodie . Nirvana achieved.
We squared up finally with the paan which was also a different variant some real good digestive stuff inside. My father who never has a paan also volunteered for this paan ( a first that I saw in my life) and relished it ( mind you this paan was w/o any katha or chuna, supari) . All in all a super Gujju thali savoured with promise at the end that i would come here again at the soonest opportunity. Kudos to the owner’s M/S Mangaldass for providing excellent ambience, fantastic food and great staff. FYI this place is a heritage hotel and also has a nice cafeteria kind of place which at this time was serving some nice ‘shravan’ light ‘fast’ food ( like sabudana khichdi , vada , etc)
By the way did I mention earlier that I was hard core non vegetarian ...I leave at that..:-)

2  Thank Samz_roam
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Whenever we are in Ahmedabad we have to have lunch at Agashiye. It is a destination restaurant. Having delicious food in that wonderful old world setting is a feast for the eyes and for the stomach! The whole property is beautifully maintained with its gardens and gigantic containers filled with seasonal flowers- this time it was red roses that greeted us. You can take the stairs to the roof top for your meals or you can take the elevator. We like the stairs - on each floor you get to see memorabilia and amazing family photographs.

The menu is different each day - I loved the raspberry juice this time. The variety of foods is mind boggling and the presentation is beautiful. Everything is freshly made. The waiters are friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed.

In my first review of this restaurant a year or so ago I had given it five stars- I would like to give it the perfect five star rating again.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The hotel has a good heritage ambience.You have to buy your tokens from the reception counter before heading to the 3rd floor for Lunch.We had the regular thali meals.The taste was good.The service and hospitality was awesome.
Several old pictures of the hotel and the founders family were on display,which made the experience even more interesting.
Overall its a must visit as previous reviewers say it is.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

The thing to order here is the full meal - the only problem is that the food just keeps on coming. By the end of the night, our table was so full of little dishes that I couldn't reach the food at the end. Everything was delicious and well prepared. Great atmosphere as well with inside and outside rooftop spaces away from the hustle and bustle of the street. For the cautious Westerner, everything looked very clean and eating the uncooked stuff, dairy products, etc didn't result in any sickness whatsoever.