“Delightfully Charming!”
Review of Agashiye

Agashiye
Ranked #3 of 3,600 Restaurants in Ahmedabad
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: 'Agashiye' in Gujarati means on the terrace. This beautiful restaurant is spread over two huge terraces are inter-connected by a smaller one that houses a small wooden cottage. At Agashiye, the food is freshly prepared, a lot of it in the terrace kitchen where you can see it. Our attempt is to retain the distinct flavours of the ingredients and we use both spices and oil sparingly. The menu at Agashiye changes daily and varies seasonally too, so an item that you particularly liked during a previous visit may not be there on the menu. Though we hope you'd find another favourite!The staff at Agashiye comprises mostly of men from neighboring villages. During dinner, they will guide you to the waiting area where you will be served juice and starters. You will be informed when your table is ready. During lunch, you are seated at your table right away.The food is served in a kansa thali immediately on being seated at the table. The meal starts with a choice of Indian breads and ends with rice. Servings are unlimited. The staff has been instructed not to constantly hover around you and yet be attentive. In case you have a specific requirement, a supervisor will be there to assist you.Please don't be surprised if you are served a non-Gujarati dish or hear non-Indian music at Agashiye. It is neither an ethnic nor a theme restaurant. It is meant to be a dining experience in a contemporary Gujarati home.Agashiye can be booked for parties of up to 400 people with a buffet setting.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have been living in Ahmedabad for almost 13 years now and I've always wanted to go to Agashiye at the House of MG. Finally I got a chance to take my wife and daughter for a Candle-lit dinner date and Agashiye and we were simply awed and charmed! The place is absolutely delightful and oozes old world rustic charm. The service is so wonderful and the stewards are so friendly and caring that you really feel as if you are eating at someone's house. You pay around 700 bucks (I don't remember the exact amout) for a deluxe thali and I understand that the standard is for Rs. 500. The evening starts with a welcome drink and appetizers at the front smaller terrace and then once you have had your fill of it they will escort you to your table at the bigger roof in the back. There you will be treated to all the usual suspects in a traditional Gujarati Thali and even more. The food is fantastic but I seriously recommend that you should try their ice-cream. We were stuffed from our thali but our steward insisted that we should not miss the ice cream and it is special as they make it themselves and I am so glad that he insisted because it was one of the best mango ice-creams I have ever eaten in my life. The ambiance is very warm and relaxed and the staff is attentive yet not hovering around you all the time (this is the biggest annoyance for me in other gujarati thali places)

I recommend this place if you want to have a nice intimate little date or want to simply have a small get-together with a group of family or friends. Whatever the reason you must visit Agashiye atleast once while you are in Ahmedabad. I am so glad that I finally did so!

PS: They have a valet parking! Yay!

1  Thank Anuj S

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Agashiye would be outstanding just for its rooftop location, candle lanterns and traditional music, but the food is brilliant as well. For 750 rupees, you have a sampler of everything on the menu which covers a wide choice of traditional Gujrati dished - my favourites invluded the Palak Rolls and the sticky Jalebis.

I wasn't sure of what the names of most of the dishes were which was dissapointing, but the experience was one I won't forget in a hurry.

Note: You pay and order your meal at the hotel reception on the ground floor before taking your paid bill up to the restaurant on the third floor in a fantastic old lift.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had read a lot of reviews here and had decided that a meal at least once here would be a must but it left us all disappointed. The decor and the setup of the restaurant on the terrace is wonderful but the taste of the food is so so, definitely not excellent and one can skip it as the service is also not outstanding as it is in most thali restaurants. The presentation is good but quality of food is what counts ultimately and that is one area they need improvement.

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Atmosphere is very pleasant. Professional serving. Food is very Good at affordable price. Ambience is elating. Location of this restaurant is another important aspect for easy reach.

1  Thank Sankara71
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Dining under the stars atop an old mansion in the heart of one of India's most fascinating cities....the only way you cold improve on that would be to have some of the best cuisine (which it is) served in such a lovely way (which it is)...I ate at Agashiye several times during my stay in Ahmedabad and loved it each time. Plus, you're given a road-map for Guajarati thali, explaining what each dish is and how the meal is composed. Delightful! Only wish I could export it to Chicago and co to he to dine there....

2  Thank Writerontherecord