Cama Hotel(Ahmedabad)
$49
$39
HIExpress.com
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $52/night.

$97
$51
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $68/night.

$62
$51
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $57/night.

$64
$53
Priceline
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $64/night.

$53
$42
Priceline
All reviewsgreen househeritage hotelthalirooftop restaurantold citytextile museumgreen roomlotus poolgrand deluxe roomthe ground floorfour poster bedheritage walkcalico museumheritage tourindoor poolhuge roomcharming hotel
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The House of MG is a beautiful old home converted into a boutique hotel. It has a lot of charm. The room itself is quite nice (and clean) and the bathroom is good too (nice shower).

Unfortunately there are two major downsides to this hotel: the noise and the staff. From the first floor rooms, guests can hear everything going on at the front desk. We were woken up every night we were there sometime between 2 and 5 am by other guests checking in or checking out. If getting a good night's sleep is even a little important to you, avoid this hotel.

The staff is not trained or monitored well enough to live up the grandness of this old building. They are nearly surly, forget friendly. Very un-Indian in the way they treat guests!

Breakfast is supposed to open at 7 am, but it didn't.

There is also no room service.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor at any cost because the noise from the front desk is very disturbing late at night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I arrived very early in the morning, and showed up at the hotel at 6am - I was very grateful that I was able to check in early and freshen up in my room. The room was lovely, and had a sunny terrace and decent wifi. I was there during the kite festival, and the hotel staff were on the roof in the afternoon showing us how to fly kites, and rescuing our kites when they got stuck in trees - a nice touch, and great fun. I didn't eat at the fancier restaurant on the roof, but the food at the Green House on the ground floor was very good. I'd be very happy to stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2013

What a charming hotel! Formerly the home of a local dignitary (the walls were full of photos of the patriarchs, including some with Mahatma Ghandi) it exudes charm everywhere you look. It has managed the trick of combining comfort without sacrificing the qualities that make it special. I walked around with a permanent smile on my face as I discovered yet another delightful area/touch.

My "room" turned out to be a large suite with entrance hall down a flight of steps, a bed-sitting area with a desk and ethernet cable for internet access and a huge, very modern bathroom with a fantastic walk-in shower.

I didn't try the restaurant on the top floor nor the beautiful swimming pool. Actually the latter was "under maintenance" the 2 days I was there but it didn't matter to me as I was recovering from 'flu.

Service was excellent throughout but, sadly, they let themselves down a bit right at the end by not providing a breakfast pack for a very early start which had been requested the night before.

But if you want a hotel "with a difference" (and that is meant positively) then this one fits the description perfectly.

Room Tip: I was in room 17 on the ground floor, it was great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The rooms were nice, big and very comfortable but the thing that struck me was that the service was highly indifferent and impersonal to mention the least. In fact the receptionist behaved as if he was doing us a favor by giving us a room, so that really soured tastes. But then their rooms and and that wonderful rooftop restaurant made up for that snooty fellow. The food at that place was magical, if you're going there for lunch be sure to not have breakfast. And another thing they also organize a city tour which doesn't really cover so many places but then its not too expensive as well so you might as well go for it. All in all its a pretty nice joint.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I am a fan of this hotel and had an excellent stay but a few things! As I got there early they let me freshen up in another room! This was excellent!

But...... Don't trust the English Speaking Riksaw driver Mohamed Salim is a con - his number is in the room guest book/ and on the hotels speed dial phone! He charged me 200rs just to go to the Calico Museum then back! He started of with 250 rs as he was waiting I said that was too expensive then agreed on 170rs did not give me my change as he said he did not have any change and will give it later! It's not the money but the principle! However, when I was speaking to him he was too busy getting people staying at his place from abroad! He thought I was on my own but when I told him I was not - He then avoided us during the stay! Although other reviewers say he is good he will only be nice if he knows if he will be getting money off from you or has another motive! I did complain but to no avail! There are many older honest Riksaw drivers in Ahmadabad who we used later and charged us only 40 rs from MG to the Museum!

Also the staff are getting too tip greedy- we had 4 people surrounding our Riksaw. When we were checking out! We did not have this problem last time we came in Jan - even one of the MG drivers that picked me up was there eagerly waiting to be tipped! Although they have a tip box at reception to be fair to all the staff made no difference - I understand that they have new management but this should not of effected my stay! I e-mailed from Ajmer for pick-up I got not response! Luckily I had a mobile so I called! Also we were in room 8 there was a problem with hot water either there was no hot water or hot water was coming out of the cold tap! There was no shower pressure either!

Your belongings are safe in your room there are no
concerns there!

Agashiya Restaurant!
If you go to the restaurant upstairs make sure you go with an empty stomach. The food is beautiful and the service impeccable it felt like if I was having dinner at their home! So hospitable!

Products.
The shop is not all that but they sell some excellent soaps and oils - however a bit expensive.
I love the soap bar scrub always stock up when I go there.

Must Visit
You must visit the mosque across the road have the famous 'Tree of Life screen' (Sidi Saiyad Jali).

Step Well get the caretaker to give you a tour - seemed like he did not do it for money but we gave him a little something (50 rs)

Over all....
I booked here because I felt safe last time and liked the ethos of the MG brand! I have no problems with the food, rooms, hygiene, and general service of the hotel! It's like living in a Museum with contemporary twists to the rooms! If you need to go to the calico Museum you can book through reception as the house of MG has links with the calico Museum you likely to get a place! I am planning to come back again if the above gets sorted! As I love the atmosphere of this Hotel! May give them another chance let's see just booked! They pride on Trip advisor status which is displayed in the reception hence placing my concerns here!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends