“Garden view rooms with helpful staff (Praneet)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ummed Ahmedabad

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Ummed Ahmedabad
Ranked #13 of 154 Hotels in Ahmedabad
Bangalore
“Garden view rooms with helpful staff (Praneet)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Me and my partner stayed in this property on our way and back to Jodhpur from Bangalore. The hotel is a little away from the city but in a prime and pretty location. They have a pretty decent parking space available inside the premises. Praneet, the front desk rep is really cheerful and will help you at all times. On our way back, our check-in took probably less than 2 seconds since he had kept all our papers ready from the previous time. Both times, we were allocated a garden view room on the first floor on request. The rooms are quite spacious and uncluttered. The bathrooms are fairly medium in size and the property is clean. Watch out while you are in the bath tub, quite slippery. The air-con is a little weak and the duvets too warm. The food is average, but breakfast can be a real bother. The Taj staff has open arguments with the interns which are loud and unpleasant. I requested the intern to get me banana chocolate pancakes and he was almost eaten alive by the F&B staff because it would be time consuming (The door to the kitchen was open). Beverages we ordered at breakfast took forever since only one intern was running around in spite of the room being empty. We had to leave without it.

Room Tip: Go for the garden view rooms on the first floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bhavin M, Manager at The Ummed Ahmedabad, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Maam,

It was indeed a pleasure to have spoken to you today & thank you for taking time to write your valuable feedback and also for patronising our hotel.

Having gone through your feedback, we regret that your stay was not as per your expectation. We have already investigated this incident with all concerned and have taken corrective measures to ensure that this does not get repeated. At the same time, we have also complimented our front office team member for job well done.

We strive to ensure that every single guest has a wonderful memory to carry back. We look forward for an opportunity again sometimes in the near future.

Bhavin Mehta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Hugely Varying cost of rooms: When I walked into the hotel and asked for price of a Superior Deluxe Room with Pool View for double occupancy, I was quoted a price well above Rs. 10,000/-. However when I tried booking the same room online via Expedia, I was able to get exact same room under Rs. 6,000/-. (However this is something not just particular to this hotel)

I visited the hotel about 3 days before my wedding night to ensure my booking was confirmed and to know what all documents had to be given at the time of checkin, the manager was rude enough to answer any of my queries. The staff is really very arrogant, you have to get to their nerves at times to get your work done. I had to speak in a bit harsh voice to just know what documents I had to bring with me to allow me to checkin to the hotel and also informed them that I will be coming in midnight after my wedding reception.

On the day of checkin, the checkin process was very smooth and easy going (thanks to that!). I wanted it to be really smooth as I didn't want my wife to feel any grudges or have any bad experience.

The room allotted to us was at extreme end of the floor, we had to walk quite a lot before we could reach the room, I asked the person who was carrying our luggage that why were we allotted so far off room, he said this is the most silent pool view room in the entire hotel so that we do not get disturbed at all

The room was like normal room with towels, bathroom robes, bathroom slippers, napkins, one locker inside wardrobe, some hangers, etc available for complementary use whereas some cashew nuts packets, and crisps packets available at more than premium rates! (really... It costed us over a hundred rupees for a packet of crisps which is actually available outside for Rs. 10)

There were no complementary services given to us like room decoration as it was a wedding night stay or any complementary welcome drinks, etc

The checkout process next morning was again fairly straightforward, just asked the reception guy to collect my luggage and I had forgotten my car park valet card inside the room, so a waiter quickly rushed towards the room, and after about 2 minutes, my car was parked just outside the gate (he may have informed the valet guy through walkie-talkie about my valet car card number). So that was a good experience.

Overall the room was nice however the feel of staying in a five star hotel was missing. It could have been lot better.

Room Tip: Unless required, don't choose a pool view room, as the rooms pool view rooms are located in extr...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank PaceTraveller
Bhavin M, Manager at The Ummed Ahmedabad, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Sir,

Allow us to thank you for taking time to write your valuable feedback and also for patronising our hotel. It was indeed our pleasure to have you stay at our hotel.

Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Warm cosy feeling. Excellent rooms and very helpful and service oriented hotel staff. You won't find great selection food but for tier 2 city hotel it is good, more importantly you would like the food quality and taste. very peaceful as well.

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Oceanic_Rage
Bhavin M, Manager at The Ummed Ahmedabad, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Allow us to thank you for taking time to write your valuable feedback and also for patronizing our hotel. It was indeed our pleasure to have you at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback.

At Gateway Hotel Ummed, we strive to ensure that every guest has a wonderful memory to carry back, our token of appreciation.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Lately I prefer to fly to Ahmedabad and then travel to Vadodara and I was pleasantly surprised with the overall impression of this hotel. The room was comfortable and I enjoyed three meals during my two night stay, including a meal in my room, as well as their quick order room service.
The gym was well equipped and I would rate it as a good hotel in terms of general Indian standards, certainly on par with 4 star hotels. Staff is very friendly and I will be back.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room away from the main street as traffic can be busy including regular car horns.
4 Thank Aussiecharles
Bhavin M, Manager at The Ummed Ahmedabad, responded to this review, February 5, 2014

Delhi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

2 min from airport. Old property just about maintained enough to be ok for single night stay. Better hotels in city for same price. Staff n food average. Feel Taj group needs new hotel in city or renovate to keep pace.

4 Thank Freqtravdel
Bhavin M, Manager at The Ummed Ahmedabad, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Allow us to thank you for taking time to write your valuable feedback and also for patronizing our hotel. It was indeed our pleasure to have you at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback, however, we would be going through some phase-wise refurbishment in the coming years.

Pune, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stay at the Gateway hotels quite often across India and by far this is hotel is much below average. The only plus is that its near the airport and if you visit the GIDC Vatva/Naroda etc around Ahmedabad, you don't go thru the crazy traffic of the city. The property is quite old but maintained well. The dining options are very limited. The 24hr coffee shop has buffet and on day 2 you will be bored with it! If you ask for some variation on the item in the menu, its a straight no-no.The only saving grace at the coffee shop is Shital who really makes an extra effort to go the extra mile and do 150% of her job......

The disappointment was the billing. My package included wifi internet and when i logged in on to the network i was told that it would be charged. I checked with the front desk and the person assured me that the amount will be refunded and i need not worry. After 2 days when i checked out, to my astonishment, i was billed for 2 days of internet. When i argued i was told that internet on 2 devices is free. I did connect my personal phone (in addition to my laptop and work hand phone) but i wasnt aware of this nor was i told upfront about this. When i asked them that its not fair to bill as i wasnt told about it, they didnt care a hoot. So i was visibly upset and paid the two days internet bill. I learnt that there was fine print associated with my stay this time!! So please be wary about the fine print when you stay at this hotel. Next time will definitely explore some other hotels and not go blindly to this hotel as I typical do with the Gateway chain.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Ptat14

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

It was always a dream to stay at Taj property, they are the people who read the mind of travellers completely. And this was really a dream come true as must have attended about 50 incidences of conference or business meal etc to visit Gateway Ummed but never get chance to stay there being loacalite. But the opportunity came to stay & stayed there for 3 days. It is a grand hotel in all the sense. Let me frank, because of location being away from city, this hotel I had never seen fully occupied but never seen lapse of any service or higene issue at this place. That's very professional. Staff is warm & food is delicious

Room Tip: Don't forget to have tongue tingling Gujarati & Rajasthani cuisine
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bhavin M, Manager at The Ummed Ahmedabad, responded to this review, January 26, 2014