“love and food & food and love” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Cafe, Italian, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Navi Mumbai, India
“love and food & food and love”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I visited Seva Cafe this past weekend. Not just the food but the whole experience of being at this place was simply beautiful. I met Siddharth and his wife, Lahar, in Mumbai at a Silent Wednesday a couple of weeks ago. His generosity and big heart and being in the moment are hard to miss. One can't help but be swept by it. He was wearing a shirt with Gandhiji sketched on it and the words "Be the change you want to see in the world" and I commented what a wonderful shirt it was. In that very moment, he insisted on giving me the shirt. I was so touched and couldn't believe such open heartedness with a stranger. it has been a while that I had met someone so open and generous. He invited me to visit Seva Cafe when I was in Ahmedabad, which I did because I was visiting on business. Both Lahar and Siddharth spent a lot of time with me sharing stories about the idea of the cafe, about remaining open to human beings and not whether a customer is affluent, a chai walla, a rickshaw driver, a businessman or a student...no barriers whatsoever and how they have put practices in place to not allow the mind to get caught up with these outer facades we all have. That there is no amount on the bill, that people volunteer their time in the cafe after a day of work, that when someone pays they don't open it and allow themselves to get colored by what the person paid, that they make for 70 people and serve to whoever walks in...irrespective of what they do, wear, say, belong to, etc...And of course, I shouldn't forget to mention that the food was wonderful! I had bhel, juice and mexican rice! All were fresh, warm and yummy! I couldn't have asked for more...My body, mind and spirit were touched in more ways than one!

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank sorabh_m_gupta

“super effort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

the effort this cafe has taken is awesome
"seva" means help & it literally does that

Visited March 2012
1 Thank MansiP
mumbai
“Concept: Never seen or heard before”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I learnt of this cafe from the television program I most frequently watch on NDTV GOOD TIME, Highway on my plate. I was greatly impressed by the concept & the intention behind that concept of this cafe. Thats the reason why I searched this cafe & went to have food there. It is open only for dinners & you pay what you eat & what you want to pay. The food is simple & good. I will surely come back.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank monica j
Manipal, India
“Unique and appreciable concept”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

The first time I heard of this place, I couldn't believe that it could last for long - 'eat what you like and pay what you wish'. When we had been there, we saw that it had a very warm and personal touch to it- with a representative of the NGO coming and chatting with us on the concept and intentions. The place is almost entirely run by volunteers (including some washing the dishes) and has about 6 dishes served everyday. It starts around 7pm and stops the moment the guest list crosses a particular number (50 or so). So if you are planning to go, you might want to do so early. The food as mentioned is made by different volunteers every day and is quite good. They also manage a dessert at the end. After the meal, they put a cover before you and you can put in as much as you like as contribution to the organization. There is a board which shows the expenses versus the incomes for the previous months and sadly, that is usually a loss!!! Such concepts should be better appreciated and served by visitors.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank TheGreyPilgrim
Faridabad, India
“Pay what you like”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

I think, this is only cafe in India where you pay as you like.
It is opened from 7 to 11 PM. Most of the people you see working here are volunteers, young girls and boys (Students). They have a small menu of 5-6 items, which keeps on changing every day. Only vegetarian food is served.
They have a/c sitting area as well as open air. If you are sitting in open area then you can see the cooking area across the counter. Ask the volunteers (They will come to your table to take order) about the concept of Seva cafe. Its interesting to listen to them, some of them explains very passionately.
Must go if you are in Ahmedabad, not for the food but for the experience.
There is a small shop next to cafe on the same floor and you can shop the traditional items from here.

• Visited December 2011