Ahmedabad, spiritual home of Mr. M Ghandi, and in normal cases the only reason that anyone would come to the city of 5.5m+ inhabitants and the capital of the Gujurat region of India. There is more to Ahmedabad than one Ashram, much more - but you're going to have to dig to find it.
And to do that a good hotel will assist. I chose the FourPoints at Ellis Bridge for convenience on a business trip. It's relatively new, although the building I suspect isn't - that said, the building is not old and is well maintained not just by Indian standards either.
The Hotel is clean, everywhere - only one small area of dust in my room - and I know they washed the floors in my room, I saw them do it. Not just that, the room service team make a point of leaving the room well made up, clean and tidy.
The Eatery is the in-house restaurant, clean, wide variety of food styles, not just Indian, and the staff are very willing to help you choose dishes that will interest you and are from the local Gujurati region. Having eaten the food here for a couple of days, no complaints, indeed praise for the tireless waiters and supervisors and the quality of food.
Front desk - they always smile - and were more than helpful, using a local tourist-ized map to point out tourist places of interest, apart from Mr. Ghandi's ashram.
Helpful hints on the Four-Points:
- Book in advance and check your flight arrival time. I arrived at 3.00am and the hotel arranged one of their own cars to meet me - well worth the cost. They also arranged my room to be ready. Yes it'll cost you a room night, but better this than sitting in the (smallish) lobby for 7 hours until check in time.
- Want to use the business area? No problem, just remember this is India so crowding is a national pastime.. and remember this is India, the facilities may be WIn7 but the printer came out of the Ark. They will arrange for superior quality printing and binding to be done by a local company, just ask.
- Sight-seeing? Ask front desk for a car - you really don't want to drive here, so get a car with a driver. It's not just easier than the tourist coach, the time spent can be a lot less. The driver, although not fluent in English, made every effort to describe the City, what each area was and was discerning enough to leave me alone to enjoy the sights and be there, as if by magic, when required. A car may look expensive, but it is well worth it. You can also have the hotel car take you to and from business appointments.
Downsides - the FourPoints is on a busy street and there are always people around, so unfortunately no walking round the block, unless you enjoy being harassed the entire way by beggars (its the only income option for some in India).
I gave the FourPoints at Ahmedabad 5/5 because they consistently delivered exceptional service during my stay, along with pretty good food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Description: Get what you’re looking for with the style and service you want, all at a great price. We have what matters most to you, like a comfortable bed, a delicious breakfast and fresh coffee. You will also find high speed internet access, and delicious, simple food. Four Points by Sheraton Ahmedabad has a great location in the heart of the city. We are just 10km from Ahmedabad airport, 3km from the railway station and 1.5km from Paldi bus station. Shopping is just minutes away from our door. Our well-equipped meeting rooms and pre-function area totals 288 square meters. Let our team of dedicated professionals work with you to host your special event. Whether you are in town for business or leisure, convenience, comfort and value are everywhere at Four Points by Sheraton Ahmedabad. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Four Points by Sheraton Ahmedabad reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.