“Holiday with great friends”
Review of Alila Diwa Goa

Alila Diwa Goa
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Salcette
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Although this hotel was ok I would not class it as 5*. We upgraded to the Diwa Wing for our stay and our room was spacious, had a very large bed which was extremely comfortable. The lighting in the room was poor especially when trying to make up on an evening. Air conditioning was good except when the cleaner takes out the card that controls the electric which we asked him not too but this fell on deaf ears!! The cleanliness was not up to standard in my opinion for example we had a stain on the side of our bath which was there the whole fortnight, I thought at first it was a permanent mark but upon rubbing it we realised it could easily have been removed. Our bedding was only changed once. If we were lucky we would get complimentary water, fruit and daily newspaper but it must be the luck of the draw as some days we were in favour and some not. The area where the hotel is situated is not that good there are hardly any places to eat we ate most nights at fish-ka opposite the hotel entrance the food is good in there but a little too spicy. We had to get a shuttle to the beach which was about a 10 minute walk otherwise down a track surrounded by paddy fields, in my opinion the beach could be a lot cleaner and I am surprised that seen as tourism is huge in Goa you would expect the beaches to be better. Although this review sounds bad we did have a lovely holiday but that was mainly down to the company we were with, 14 of us altogether great friends great company.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Alila Diwa Goa

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed at the Alila Diwa in November, we were a party of 7 couples. Three couples upgraded to the Diwa wing at an extra cost of £50 per room per night. These were much larger rooms with the guarantee of a sunbed around a private pool and all day breakfast. The other couples (myself included) had free upgrades to the loft rooms in the south wing which I thought had a much better outlook than the west wing.
This is a beautiful spacious hotel with immaculate grounds and lots of water features. The infinity pool was very beautiful and the sunbeds comfortable but unfortunately you would have to get up very early to reserve one as there didn't seem enough beds for the size of the hotel and I do believe people put towels on the beds whether they wanted them or not.
The rooms were clean and spacious and the large bed was very comfortable. Rooms were serviced every day with plenty of clean towels, toiletries, complimentary water, fruit and newspapers. I did feel however that there was a lack of written information about the hotel and surrounding areas. We only had breakfast at the hotel where the service was a little slow there was plenty of choice but the butter seemed to be on ration! Also I didn't like the way they served the juices in chunky glass bottles (get your orange first before it runs out) Tea and coffee was very very slow!
We opted for the beach most days via the free shuttle provided unless we were out on trips.
The beach is very large with several beach shacks. We had snacks and drinks at Alec's (the first shack on the beach) every day we were there, the food was very tasty and cheap and the lads were very friendly. They also provide beds and umbrellas free of charge for their customers.
We also ate at Greenlands right near the beach, this is run by a very friendly English couple Roger and Claire who were also willing to offer advise on trips etc.
Fish-ka right opposite the hotel was very good, we ate there several evenings and met there most evenings for drinks. We went to The Pentagon restaurant up in the village on a couple of occasions this was quite a walk as it is narrow and unlit in several places. The food and service was excellent. We weren't that impressed with Martins Corner we did try it twice but I think it is over rated.
We did a trip up the River Sal and we saw dolphins when they did a short detour out into the sea.
We also got taxis to Punjim and Old Goa but the roads and driving are very scary! We would have liked to visit the waterfalls but there seemed to be a dispute regarding the 4 x 4s that were required when you got there so we were advised not to go, make sure about this before you book the trip.
If you like a lot of night life this is not the place for you but if you like to relax in beautiful surroundings then this is great. We had a great holiday with our lovely friends!!

Room Tip: Loft rooms are very good and have the best views
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank 19,691,972
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is the most charming and hospitable place, with a lovely pool, helpful staff, and is well-priced. The beach is not visible from the hotel but accessible. The rooms are spacious. The breakfast could be better though.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Quarterplater
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a delightful hotel in well cared tropical grounds with a lot of water features. It is clean and airy with a relaxed atmosphere throughout. We were welcomed and asked if we wished to upgrade to the Diwa wing at an extra 5000 Rps per night. We had considered this in the UK when we had been asked for exactly double by our Travel Agent and declined. Attempted bartering unsuccessful so we agreed and feel this was money well spent in a quieter wing with a guaranteed sunbed by our own pool with our own bar/ restaurant. These were expensive by UK standards and must have been on another financial planet for the locals. Service very willing but at times slow. They seemed to be surprised by my wish to pay cash on each and every occasion - I hate big bills at the end. Excellent WiFi throughout the property.
Room 66 m2 with vast bathroom- really impressive and airy with large balcony. Sadly seats throughout the property tilt back so look relaxing but are ergonomically terrible- I had significant backache at the end of my stay. Very comfy bed. 2 bottled waters in the room when made- we could have done with more.
Breakfast service at the restaurant slow. The menu was different- the first time I have ever had lobster omelette! The food was served up very nicely but we preferred eating in the communal restaurant where we could get what we wanted in quantities that suited us- especially fruit. Service again slow and on one occasion we had finished before tea and coffee was served. Going up to the service point and trying to help yourself was particularly frowned upon.
This is a good hotel but there are some areas that need attention before it is a great one.

Room Tip: The Diwa wing is good value if you can afford it. Suggest not booked through travel agent.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank theflyingdoctor
SSavkur_GM, General Manager at Alila Diwa Goa, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found The Diwa Club a prudent choice. Your comments about the service at the restaurants is well noted. We are constantly working on enhancing the quality of product and service and comments from guests are very valuable in letting us know how we are faring. Please be assured that you will enjoy a better experience on your next stay!

Best regards,

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We spent 2 weeks in the Diwa wing and for those of you thinking of booking be aware that the two parts of the hotel are pretty much separate entities. Rooms in Diwa are very spacious and everything worked well. Fab shower, large balcony, v good and quiet aircon.
Pool area beautiful, one of the bet I've seen and we visit 2-3 er annum.
Breakfast at Diwa is good. We tried the main restaurant for breakfast one day but there was no comparison, not such a good experience!
Main problem is its a bit isolated (not a major prob for s as we were there purely to relax but I can see others might find it a prob) and the staff although lovely are a bit hit and miss. Someone said its a form of training hotel for staff which may explain matters.
I think it's a lovely place that would not suit those after more excitement but if you can go for the Diwa ing every time

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I'm a little over a month to write this review, but the experience is still so fresh and memorable that I simply can't stop gushing over my stay here.

My husband and my twins who were 8mnths then came here for a 3nts/4days stay and were promptly escorted to our Diwa Suite in the Diwa Wing. The staff at check in counter was absolutely helpful and didn't waste time with formalities..we had driven for over 4 hours with the infants who were asleep when we reached so we finished formalities once we settled in the room. Apologies I'm unable to recall but his name starts with "A" who helped through out. Also a mention of Mr Joshi and Kevin. I hope I have got all the names right at the front desk.

The housekeeping in charge Mr Sharad was very considerate and offered full support wrt kids food etc. Our suite was overlooking the pool, very spacious one bedroom+living room+balcony. The main wing which has the rooms and family suites has a beautiful infinity like pool. The buffet in the main restaurant can be better. The Edge bar is quite good with drinks not highly priced.

I think what makes this property stand apart is it's genuine hospitable nature and true care for the guests. I must also mention even their reservation staff esp Mr Shahid who assisted me with the booking, was very hands on.

I have always stayed at the Leela or the Taj properties in Goa, this was the first time we opted for a different group and we have absolutely no regrets. From now on, Alila Diwa you have a big fan..we are sure to come here again and again. Thank you for such a fabulous experience and a lifetime of memories!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your glowing review. I am delighted to learn that you had such a good stay with us. While we are very proud of our resort and our product offerings, we believe that what sets us apart is our team. Therefore, I am very happy that so many of my colleagues enhanced your stay experience. Please be assured that they will receive the recognition they deserve.

We look forward to welcoming you back on many more trips!

Best regards,

Reviewed November 22, 2013

The lovely hotel for people who would like to relax and have quiet vacation. There are several very good restaurants/cafes and shop(s) inside and even near the hotel so you could find everything you want even you do not like to go outside.
Very supportive personnel who provides good service (answered on all e-mails before and helped on everything during stay).
Amazing swimming pool with field view and great view on the sunset. Placed at 5-minutes walk distance from the ocean, however the hotel provides back and force shuttle service to pickup lazy :) guests.
Provides some entertainment like live music at some evenings but I would recommend to make some more focus on entertainment.
I would definitely love to return there one day.

Room Tip: terrace room was quiet good in terms of cleaning service, fruit plate, conditioner & bed & m...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Galya S
SSavkur_GM, General Manager at Alila Diwa Goa, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Your positive comments are very much appreciated. I am delighted to know that you had an overall great stay. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest Regards,

Siddharth Savkur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salcette
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa Goa
Grand Hyatt Goa
#1 of 3 in Bambolim
The LaLiT Golf & Spa Resort Goa
Taj Holiday Village Resort & Spa

Been to Alila Diwa Goa? Share your experiences!