“Joshua's bar and restaurant”
Review of Lui Beach Resort

Lui Beach Resort
Ranked #38 of 66 Hotels in Candolim
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We recently stayed at Lui Beach Resort and overall had a great time. Staff were very nice and location was great.
The highlight for us though was Joshua's bar and restaurant just adjacent to the hotel on the main road. The owners Maria, Jule and son Joshua were lovely and welcoming. Excellent traditional home cooked food at exceptionally cheap prices. We have booked to return to Candolim in November 2013 and will certainly be visiting Joshua's again! If you do go, and you should, take some chocolate for young Joshua!! Also, hoping to go fishing with Maria's husband to try and catch the lovely fresh fish that they serve.....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Trudy W

Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

This Hotel has an OK location. Not far from the beach, and not far from the markets and restaurants. But don't let the swimming pool and advertising fool you. The breakfast included consist of only 1 toast with butter &jam. You'll have to pay extra for a meal that will fill your stomach. If you choose this hotel: You pay too much for a hotelstaff whom have maximum 20 word in their English vocabulary.

-I will instead recommend Lucia's guesthouse only 20yards away. Same location only closer to the beach. You pay half the price for a much more servicefriendly staff. Ideal for backpackers and anybody wanting value for money and a place to relax.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Dennispewpew
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I'm on my 3rd week at Lui Beach Resort, thoroughly enjoying my stay, even though there's a bit too much noise for my taste from other guests, but that's just me, as I'm not really the socialising type. The hotel is very attractive-looking though quite compact with not much space around the pool. My room, 113, is very attractive, comfortable and clean, with a great view of the pool and massive trees full of birds, but it's just above the bar area so is a bit noisy, particularly on the Sunday karaoke night!! I would recommend a room higher up and further away from the bar if you prefer peace and quiet. I've only eaten here once, at the fish barbecue which was so-so, so I've gone out other nights to the nearby restaurants which are excellent, have a huge variety of food and are very cheap. The hotel staff are all lovely, the manager Peter is a charming man and very interesting to talk to, and if you're lucky enough to have your room cleaned by Avi, you will get a big surprise, as he creates amazing artworks on the bed, using towels, pyjamas, hats and anything else lying around. I've had flowers, birds, and even a "body" wearing my hat and reading my book! It's quite exciting returning to my room and discovering his latest design.

The hotel is just a few minutes' walk to the quiet end of the beach, along a sandy footpath. You come down to a peaceful shack with sunbeds, the beach here is never crowded and is the perfect place to swim, relax and watch the beautiful sunsets.

The only thing I haven't been happy with at Lui Beach, is that if you're on bed & breakfast, the included breakfast is very poor, just juice, tea or coffee, and 2 slices of half-cooked leathery toast with a small butter and sickly red jam. Of course there is a selection of other things that you can pay for, but more should be included in the package, as it's the worst B&B deal breakfast I've ever had, in all the many countries I've visited! Apart from that, it's a good place to stay, particularly if you're British and like spending time with an almost all-British crowd of mostly older people.

Room Tip: Facing the pool, top floor if you want peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Peter the hotel manager was a saint, we stayed here in feb 2013,the hotel booked by our tour operator was a joke.we have stayed at lui beach before so i took a taxi to see Peter,although he could not find us a single room to stay in for nearly 2 and a half weeks he found a way for us to have 3 or 4 nights in a couple of rooms then a room for the last week.Both he ,his staff ,jo the owner were the best,all the rooms we had were clean,we met people that have been going back for years,some we had met years ago.the price is great ,we are just about to book rooms for next year.thank you to all at lui beach for going the exta mile and making us feel like family ,not just guests.

Room Tip: room122 is large and has a lovely private balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chazlane97
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed at the Lui Beach and as this was my 5th visit to Goa I was a little disappointed. The problem was our room which was situated near to the road - going back in the afternoon for a siesta was a waste of time with the continuous beep beep of the traffic. Yes we did request a change of room but we were denied so just got on with it. Also being so far from the main hotel we felt a bit left out and did not get to know other guests as I would normally do on holiday. Breakfast was also very basic - the continental breakfast consisted of coffee, fruit juice and two slices of toast with jam - not ideal when diabetic. There were other items on the menu but these had to be paid for. We had air conditioning in our room but this had to be paid for as did a fridge. We did have a TV which was never turned on - could I suggest that the TV be swapped for a much more needed fridge. The room was cleaned daily but only once you found out that if you did not leave your key at reception it was not touched. Fresh towels every day but not sheets. Overall the room was well cleaned.
I would go back here again as the hotel was well situated for shops and restaurants although we done a fair bit of walking. I would though insist on a room within the main hotel and not feel excluded.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room outside the main buildings
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Carol B
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Clean rooms, clean beds, friendly staff, friendly guests, great location, great local bars/resturants, great food, hot water, not too many power cuts etc., etc., what more can you ask for for the price? Jo and Peter were great and got up with the singers on barbeque nights, happy to mix with everyone and join in the fun, you really are made to feel special and important by management and staff. Went with family, asked for rooms close together- no problem!
Will we be going back? deffo. Hi to Kaz n Baz n everyone else we met and made friends with My brown eyes are blue through missing the place already. Visit Joshua corner for the best samosas in the world and Santa Lucia for best food in the area. CU next year!!

Room Tip: Room 121 is big and clean but gets sun all day room 122 is all of these but much cooler thaks to sha...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Katherine034
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at lui beach resort jan 13 for 3 weeks. The management and staff make this a cosy and comfortable place to stay. We met a smashing group of like minded people rock & roll Dave was a hit on the karaoke. Our room 113 was clean and comfortable not the ritz but your not paying ritz money.We would recommend shivers restuarant and the Tuscany Italian, both very close to Lui beach. In our opinion the best shack was the calamari near santana hotel, all serve great food at good prices. This was our seventh trip Goa and one of the best. From lin & john to all our new friends we hope to see you again back in Goa. We will to to add photos.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple