“great hotel”

Ranked #5 of 65 Hotels in Candolim
lancashire
“great hotel”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

great hotel to stay in, location to night life in candolim is in the centre of all good bars and restaurents. staff in the hotel are very good and chatty,the rooms clean and comfy, the service we had was very good

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank she.c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Polish first
Solihull, England
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel has been refurbished since our last visit in December 2011. The bar area is now larger which has a 1st bathing area above, but there are not many sun shades and it gets hot up there. The sunbeds are great, the staff are great and the location is great. We did have a problem however, three of our party of four and many in the hotel got the dellie bellie, it got reported to the rep and the management reviewed the hygiene within the kitchen. Whether it worked I don't know, would I recommend it...yes if the price came down and you don't really need all inclusive in Goa...it's very cheap....perhaps back to the Sunset Beach next time.

• Stayed December 2012
Chester
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have just returned from a weeks holiday with my bf, we travelled a week before Christmas and they made the effort in making it festive. The rooms were lovely, spacious and cleaned daily with fresh towels - aircon a bit loud but we didnt use it as it we were fine with the fan, safe in the room and they gave the option of having your clothes washed/ironed. The pool was clean and big enough, lots of beds with areas in the shade if you wanted it and they put balls in for kids to play with. If the pool isnt your thing, you can see the sea from the hotel and its literally a 2min walk. The food was nice, we didnt eat there that often as its cheap enough to eat out but they did their best to offer variety - Salads, Goan food, English dishes and a BBQ, you can also order poolside snacks including burgers/sandwiches etc during the day. Breakfast again offered variety including omelettes cooked fresh, lots of fruit which after speaking to some people, their hotel only offered once a week. I have to point out that when we were there a few people were ill including myself but as I'm sure everyone is aware, the Norovirus (sickness/diarrohea) bug has been going round worlwide and its even affected the Cruise Liner Queen Mary 2 this week. Everyone who was ill had the same symptoms so I would assume it was that as my partner was fine and it was only a small minority - the glasses were cleaned and food seemed to be hygienically stored so I dont think it was a fault of the hotel. There was nightly entertainment including fire dancers, singers and a childs choir singing carols.The only bad point I would make is that after 11pm you cant get alcohol, you can pay for room service after this time but this only includes tea/coffee/snacks. Overall, the staff were lovely and couldnt do enough for you, we would definately return. I would recommend a restaurant called Victors, its on the way to the beach on the left - its a tiny shack with 6 tables, you go there the previous night to place your order and he cooks it fresh for you. Order the lobster - huge, gorgeous and cheap!!! A trip we would advise is Cola Beach by Johns Tours, secluded paradise beach, food included and a great night to get away from it all - £30, cant complain.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thoornton Cleveleys
Reviewed December 29, 2012

firstly let me say that the hotel has been refurbed and to a very good standard, the rooms were clean and had all the facilities we required....HOWEVER our holiday soon became a bit of a nightmare due to being ill...... Now we have been to Goa before so everyone expects ' Delhi Belly' but what we experienced here was much worse. On our first evening there we went into the main restaurant area myself and my husband had a small portion of curry each and my Step son chose not to eat because there was nothing he liked the look of. So the next morning we went to the pool area and several people asked us if we had been ill yet and went on to describe how virtually all the complex had been ill and the doctors had been in giving people injections, people were loosing 3 and 4 days of their holiday and also being hospitalised, however we felt we would be ok as we are fit and healthy and not usually to badly affected.....Oh how wrong we were we spent the next 48 hours in bed being sick and upset stomach ( but our step son was fine) . In the brochure in the room it said reception had a range of medication so eventually my husband phoned for some help as we could not get to the chemist..he was told abruptly 'no we can't help'...So that was our one and only meal and drink at Whispering Palms, the general feel around the hotel was that the kitchens should be closed and completely cleaned down but that was never going to happen..
When we finally surfaced 2 days later we spoke to a lady who was customer services along with several other people and she tried to tell us we had FLU...I can assure you that was not flu.

It took me 7 days of my holiday before I felt well again and able to go anywhere without worrying about the toilet locations.

Other areas that need clarifying with this hotel is what is included in the 'All Inclusive' we asked on our first day about the A La Carte restaurant and were told we didn't get it, then perhaps we would get it but would have to pay 25 or 50% of the cost but they would get back to us needless to say they didn't...Also on the second to last night of our holiday we were sat with a couple who had travelled on exactly the same package as us when the waiter bought her husband an Irish Coffee, my husband said could he have one and was told we would have to pay???? we asked to see the manager to clarify this and he was not on site but I spoke to him myself and he agreed to meet us the next day at 11AM... we waited in reception but he did not keep to the meeting we asked the staff who made some calls and the only person who came to talk to us was the asst kitchen/restaurant manager, who's English was limited and all he kept saying is you can order burgers....so he obviously did not understand our issues.

This hotel is not cheap to go to and if like us you have to eat out everyday it becomes quite a costly holiday luckily we had taken money with us..

Would I book this hotel again I'm afraid not, just to say if you look at my previous reviews I am not a serial complainer so for me to do this review is unusually.

Room Tip: don't book room 116 overlooks waste ground, balcony not big enough for a chair and sink leaks
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lisaleary
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our second year here ..... close to everything in Candolim ..... 5min stroll to the beach (that was a disappointment) - not cleaned - not sure what the goan tourist board is up to with the sunbed situation some crazy law about how many sunbeds a person can be licensed for.

Back to the hotel .... many changes in between seasons don't know how they managed to rebuild a complete section of rooms, replace all the sunbeds and seating round the pool, extend the bar by the pool area, change the reception area and dining area, and move the beauty and massage rooms within 12months. It looked lovely.

Staff were more than willing to help you. We had daily chats with the guest relations girls, who noted down our comments to refer back to management. The manager was always around and willing to discuss our input.

Chefs were really helpful, assisting us with special food request when required. A good variety of food, with a great selection of Indian foods for us to try. For the less adventurous there was plain old european dishes.

Daily entertainment for adults and the children. Evening entertainment provided for those who didn't want to venture too far after a hard days sunbathing and drinking.

The rooms were always clean, bath and hand towels provided, and towels were provided by the pool area.

Tip - if you are unable to keep your room on the last day - don't moan - they will provide a room to freshen up get your name on the list. Or do what we did ..... ask some of the other guests if you can use their room.

Tip - don't write your moans and groans on ere. Speak to the manager. It gets sorted.

Where there is a will there is a way. Leave your moaning in the UK and enjoy your holiday.

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied, ask at reception to see other rooms and availability. A good room is on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jaxlong
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My family spend 3 nights at the Whispering Palms Beach Resort and we found the service excellent. The mindset of staff at the resort was to serve its clients and this they did very well. The place was clean, food good and amenities just nice for a relaxing holiday. We met many others who felt this way as well. We had a chat with the Manager on our check-out and found out that the management is very concern on customer service and had deployed staff to look after customer needs specially. One such staff Ms Meenatchi is excellent in her service and meeting to the needs of clients. Her professional outlook and service is exemplary and reflected in that of the other staff as well. We had a fine time at the resort and will recommend this to other as well.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank NVijayan
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Before you read this review, bear in mind I am not a fussy person and have never moaned about anything in a hotel I have stayed in before. My opinions of this hotel seemed to be shared with quite a few other guests so it wasn't just me being a moaner.
The location of the hotel is great, a 5 minute walk to the beach with lots of shops, restaurants and bars around. We ate at really good places near the hotel called The Bistro and Ruffles, the food was good and cheap, around £15 for 2 starters, 2mains and drinks.
The hotel has just had a renovation and it does look good. It is very modern, our room was spacious, the bed was very comfy, the flat screen tv has loads of channels, the fridge is stocked daily with water etc. The pool area was very small, apparently it has been made a lot smaller since the renovations. They had a large amount of sunbeds delivered whilst we were there and they are the comfiest loungers I've ever used!
One of the main criticisms I have of this hotel is the food. A lot of the reviews say there was great variety but I just didn't see it. I know its india but I have stayed in a lot of other all inc in other countries where aside from the local cuisine the variety of other dishes is huge. Here, apart from soup, salad and rice I would say out of about 12 dishes, 4 weren't indian. For Dinner and tea there was always a huge amount of indian selection which don't get my wrong was very nice. Non indian options I saw was sometimes a Chinese dish, some sort of potato, macaroni, veg lasagne, beef stew and from the chef on the grill outside there was a meat. The best food we had here was on gala night where they serve outside, there was so much variety I don't know why they can't stick to this much variety every meal. However I thought breakfast was great, there was loads of different options. Yes the food was nice but it was 70% indian.
Another thing that annoyed me was the service from the staff. This was the worst service I have ever come across. At meal times you were lucky if you got 1 drink! The staff seemed to stand around or do pointless jobs such as cleaning windows whilst you sat needing a drink. I wouldn't mind but it wasn't as if they were short staffed, I've never seen so many staff for such a small hotel. I thought this was very poor as in my opinion drinks in an all inc resort are very important due to the heat for one.
I also found the hotel lied. In the brochures and on the hotel channel on the tv in the rooms it says it has a jacuzzi, it does not! The jacuzzi is a corner of the pool that has about 4 filter pumps and that's what they've labelled as the jacuzz! These filter pumps are dotted around the pool anyway so basically the whole pool is a jacuzzi in that case! It says it has many bars, I only saw one that was open. This was next to the restaraunt but it was dark and no-one went in it. There is a fully stocked bar next to the pool but there was never a member of staff at it, it might be open now but it wasn't whilst I was there. The alacarte restaraunt wasn't open either so I don't no what that was like. They also say they provide a complimentary airport service, they don't because we asked and they looked as though they didn't have a clue what we were talking about and told us to get a taxi from outside. They say they provide like toiletries/amenities I.e cotton wool, nail clippers. I forgot my nail clippers and needed some so when I read this I thought oh great but when I asked again they didn't even know what they were. I thought these things really let the hotel down.
Lastly, you have to pay for food and drink once you check out. I have never been told this at an all inc before but apparently some do it. But I suppose is what you get if you a book a cheaper all inc. we were delayed for 5 hrs coming home so had to stay in reception until 2am, they didn't provide a room for freshening up, told us we could have our evening meal for free but had to pay for drinks. I thought this was disgusting as we had payed all that money to go and they wouldn't even give us a few poxy drinks, bear in mind we missed a full day anyway as we were delayed 24 hrs going.
All in all the best time we had here was getting out of goa and flying to Delhi and agra for 5 days to see the taj. I would defenately recommend this. I never fancied goa to start with and now I've been I'm still not keen. It has no culture and you wouldn't feel like you were in india if you went outside, it feels more like Spain to me. Unless you go out of goa into real india I.e Delhi then you have no idea what india is and that is something I stick by 100%. Aside from how cheap it is I really don't understand why people go back yearly. For the what you pay to get there you could get a much nicer hotel somewhere else in the world. I don't think I would recommend this hotel to anyone or goa for that matter which is a shame.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple