“Dona Alcina Resort - good hospitality” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dona Alcina Resort & Zo Rooms

Dona Alcina Resort & Zo Rooms
Ranked #62 of 64 Hotels in Candolim
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Dona Alcina Resort - good hospitality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

I along with my family members came for my cousins wedding reception at Dona Alcina Resort. It has a very good hospitality. Dona Alcina Resort is located in Candolim. It lies in north Goa.
First thing I did was to check into my room. The rooms are nice and clean. There are special types of locks for the doors. Since I was tired the first thing i did was to take a shower. There is a nice swimming pool along with a nice garden and trees around it.
At night I dressed up in my formal attire all set for the reception party. The hotel food was very good. I first had some snacks along with beer. Later there was a very big buffet table with different kind of dishes on it. There was a paper near each dish mentioning the name of the respective dish. I enjoyed the food.
After the reception was over it was time for me to go back to my room. I first put the air conditioner on. I took a second shower and then i went to sleep. The room service is very good. The room atmosphere is very nice.
Since i was invited for the wedding, I did not pay any money for the room. I had a good time at Dona Alcina Resort. I hope to make another trip to Dona Alcina Resort.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank noelmaciel252

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

Landed at the airport in Goa and what a culture shock once we got outside! Sat on this rickerty old bus that stank of deisel all of us had our fingers crossed it would egt us all to the hotel ok. All given a bottle of water on the bus which was really appriciated. Travelling to the hotel we all looked in silence out of the bus windows at the red dirt roads and shanty towns and thought 'OH LORD' what have we come to? Finally arrived at the hotel disheartened and after a long wait to all be checked in finally saw our rooms! We were located a room (ground floor) at the very rear of the far building complete with a pig pen behind with cockrels galore! Very noisey but when in rome! Our room was bare apart from a single wardrobe a set of drawers and twin beds. Ceiling fan shook as it spun and aircon was ancient and had little affect. Bathroom adequate but basic and shabby. We saw another door and went on to investigate. A kitchen? It consisted of what looked like a mortuary slab and a sink! We shut the door vowing never to venture in there again! We got settled in the room and changed and ventured out into the main area by the pool to meet the rest of the party we came with. We got a drink from the bar and started chatting to other residents who had seen the look on all our faces. One woman said 'dont be put off you will love it here'. I am so glad she said that! We started to relax and enjoy our stay. The pool was great, just like taking a bath, so warm and inviting. Plenty of sun beds too. The weather was red hot all the two weeks were were there with no clouds in the sky. Be sure to drink plenty of water, as soon as you drink it it pours out from you in a pool on the sunbed as you bake in the sun! None of us experienced the dheli belly, the food was basic but ok at breakfast and the restaurant located above the hotel was great. Candolim is a lovely resort, plenty of restaurants and bars and a few shops. Beach 10 min walk away through sand dunes. Beautiful beach plenty of bars there and one or two even had a toilet! Massages offered on the beach by locals which are great. fruit ment selling local fruit also on the beach. Even had a few cows come walking up to see us on the beach as we laid in the sun which was entertaining. You could see Dolphins jumping in and out of the see on the horizon and it was sheer bliss. We made friends with the locals who arranged for us to have a boat ride out to see to view the Dolpjins, cocoa beach and the jail! Very entertaining. Cost us pennies! The food as vaired and so tasty. Kingfisher beer is welcomed after spending all day in the sun too! Once over the culture shock we all really enjoyed the holiday. It will be remembered forever by us all. The people so welcoming and friendly. The local kids charming and greatly appriciated the sweets and chocolate we gave them each day on the way to the beach. On the last day the locals almost stripped my husband of his cloths, sandals and beach towel, we found it amusing they should want his old tatty beach wear but it was received with great thankfulness. Only down side to the holiday was our unwelcomed guests in the room. Infested by cockroaches the size of your hand! Managed to get some raid cockroach killer from a local supermarket which helped some. Our room being ground floor and next to a store room didnt help. Our friends who had a room in another building never had this problem. We were just unlucky I guess. Yes the hotel is very basic but the holiday makes up for it. I think if you go to Goa you have to be prepared for the culture shock and that the standard of the hotels are not as they are in europe. Unless you pay through the nose to stay in 5 star hotels, which was way out of our budget. Getting to see the local life was a bonus and one of the guys we met on the beach who sold fruit even took us home to meet his wife and parents! They lived in a shack consisting of two rooms. A lounge and a small kitchen. All four of them stayed there and his father had had a stroke so needed a lot of care. It really was an humbling experience I can tell you. Dont be put off by negative reviews, you will miss out on a great experience if you do. I would definately stay here again no problem.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xmizzchiefx
luton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

mature coulpe.extre 45 pound just for ac,only brtish there ,all russians,food was poorer then poor,uncooked .no entrtainment at all.staff cant fault,but do not take children either.goa it self lovely and cheap but worst ever hotel,and we,ve traveled alot of countrys.as cheap as it is dont book .honestly.goa is basic but this hotel was beyound basic...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank khalidah1

Travelers are raving about these Candolim hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2010

excellent hotel five star look and feel.good rooms and good service.Clean swiming pool and garden. Food taste is so so.excellent envirement with hassel free travel to near by beaches.I love the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank drisaac
New York City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

My husband and I decided to spend three days in Goa to relax by the pool and pamper ourselves after a month long, budget journey through India. We were told when we booked that it was a beautiful, 4 star resort; it was actually closer to camping. Perhaps this hotel, in it's prime (1970's), was a 4-star hotel, but not anymore. Now, I realize this is India and the star rating system is all relative... All I can say is, the staff was unfriendly, the rooms were dingy and full of bugs (ants, a weird worm in the shower), and the food at the restaurant was the worst we'd had in India. We had been staying in some cheap, run-down places in India, so we were accustomed to dumps, but if you go to Goa it's worth the extra $20 a night to upgrade to an actual 4-star hotel, which we did after spending only 1 night at Dona Alcina. I can say, however, that the pool was somewhat clean and the location wasn't bad either. Also, the images on the hotel website have been HEAVILY photoshopped.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 4months7countries
mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2010

We have had 2 holidays here the first for 3 weeks and the second for 4 weeks the staff are very good the hotel although basic is clean and very convenient to all the place's you can want to visit,i must however warn you not to go to the jeweller called the (jewelly quarter) he is nothing but a thief he stole over 50gamms of gold from us saying he was making us some rings and things we got back something that I can only say was copper at its best .but apart from him we had a great time we went every where to the spice farms to the falls hampi tempels church's and some wonderful days out

nice pool lovly gardens good location

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PoonamP
Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

the dona alcinda in candolim is the biggest dump we have ever stayed in worldwide on trip there a few years ago we were put in a room that stank so much it almost made us sick and when we opened the door to the kitchen we come across pidgeons nesting on the worktops fair play to thomas cook who said it was one of there best places to stay in candolim it didnt put us off though we are still going to candlim but not the donna alcinda.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank normark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Candolim
Xavier Beach Resort
#36 of 64 in Candolim
Sea Mist Resort
Sea Mist Resort
#23 of 64 in Candolim

Been to Dona Alcina Resort & Zo Rooms? Share your experiences!