All reviews rain shower fish tank nice hotel large breakfast area hot tub new mexico breakfast room white sands national monument front desk staff indoor pool the staff was friendly and helpful yogurt mini fridge shower head comfortable beds fitness center road trip
Selected filters
Reviewed November 20, 2018

Granted the choices in this town are limited, but this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. It started upon check in when I was given a room immediately next to the elevator and asked to move. The desk clerk told me she could not move me because there were no other rooms available of that size “and besides, I just told the last person who checked in and is a rewards customer that he couldn’t move, so I can’t move you.” After remaining insistent that there HAD to be other rooms, she called the manager who was at home with her children. The manager got on the phone with me to explain the same thing, that there were no other rooms available. I would not accept this, so she asked the desk clerk again, and lo and behold, there was another king room on the same floor down the hall. The room was okay, the carpet could have been cleaned and the dust removed from the baseboards but it wasn’t. Breakfast the next morning was okay as long as you are into pre-packaged items and paper plates making lots of trash out of a small meal (except for the waffle maker and push button pancake machine). There is a tiny little gym with treadmills, a dark depressing indoor pool and jacuzzi as other amenities although it seemed no one wanted to use them. Upon check out, I attempted to get change for a $20 to leave something for the housekeeper as a tip - even that was an adventure involving two staff people searching all over to get change and giving me part of it in quarters. Also, beware of the rooms on the front side of the hotel - there are glaring high powered lights from across the street that blast what seems like daylight into your room during the night unless you totally black things out with the curtains.

Room tip: Ask for the back side.
Date of stay: November 2018
2  Thank WanderingDad
Reviewed November 12, 2018

It should be the best hotel in Alamogordo but they have some issues and the customer service is lacking. Both when checking in and when needing some help from the front desk staff the ONLY person working the desk was on personal phone calls on their cell phone. Helped me out but also continued personal phone call at same time......Not good customer service.

Hotel only has 1 elevator shared by guests and employees, when it breaks or they are doing maintenance you have to walk up to 4 floors.

Guest laundry only has one machine. It was broken for my whole stay of over a week. They need more than one machine AND if if breaks it should get fixed within a day or two. When I inquired about getting laundry done I was sent to a closed laundry in town. I ended up driving 30 minutes to another town to find a laundry.

Pool water looked very cloudy, not inviting for a swim.

My room is showing lots of wear and deferred maintenance. Had cracked tiles in bathroom floor, cracked sink, mold forming on walls near ceiling, and dirty shower curtain. Unacceptable for a (not cheap) Marriott.

I probably should have asked for a different room but I would have expected they would give one of there best rooms to me automatically as a Marriott Executive Elite member. I shouldn't have to ask for a clean renovated room.

Breakfast was good and consistent each day.

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed July 28, 2018

A good hotel with some excellent staff ...
Shame about the fitness centre facilties - especially the pool which was dirty and unappealing, even after cleaning and a refill, the water was still murky and not very clean.
The most disappointing thing about the hotel .. is the breakfast.
Plastic eggs, plastic sausage patties .. all served on plastic plates and with plastic cutlery, plastci fruit juice cups etc etc ..
The amount of plastic waste generated each day is appalling .. NOT GOOD !!
There are perfectly good ecologiclaly friendly / sustainlable alternatives out there.
I find it astonishing that in this day and age, the Marriott chain does not seem to be doing anything positive and pro-active to change cultures .. or, simply .. just cannot be bothered to do anything about it and putting profit above all else !
Switch to using paper plates and bamboo cutlery - please please do something positive .. market it correctly / position the chain as a value leader in cost and environmental issues .. and we / they WILL come

Room tip: Just ask for your specific requirements
1  Thank AarNonyMouse
Reviewed July 27, 2018

This was not an inexpensive room (1 night, king bed, mid-week $139+). I expected better of Fairfield and Marriott. Whatever you do, avoid Room 202 where there are large chunks of plaster falling from the ceiling over the tub! Overall shabby bathroom. Something had been spilled on the bathroom floor that could not be removed, I guess. Not sure why they even rented this room!

Breakfast was fine. Lobby was very nice. Interesting large fish tank. Staff was ok, other than not being able to provide me with a menu for the adjacent restaurant. Only indoor pool. Outside at back of hotel was a patio area with faded and worn patio furniture and a somewhat broken down fountain and a new small barbeque with table and chairs. Barbeque, really? Who barbeques at a hotel? Appeared to be just for looks. Instead, better attention to room maintenance would have been appropriate!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank pepper13420
Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights. The room was very good and clean. Beds comfortable. I used the gym which was fine. The pool looked rather dirty so avoided that. The breakfast was disappointing as plastic plates and cutlery. Real shame as throwing loads away each day which is not good for the environment and not what I would expect for a hotel of this type. This is why I marked average as rest was fine.