“Nothing special”

Can't Stop Smoking BBQ
Ranked #3 of 93 Restaurants in Alamogordo
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I had high expectations for CSS because of the rave reviews in Trip Advisor. Sadly, I can't join in.

(I should mention my standards for comparison: Places in Dallas like Dickey's (where I ate my first BBQ 60 years ago at the origninal Knox/Henderson place), Sonny Bryan's, the late Red Bryan's in Oak Cliff; the Salt Lick near Austin; and many other places around Dallas, Fort Worth and Texas.)

The first disappointment was service. You place your order at a cafeteria-like counter. But even when dining-in, food is delivered in take-out containers and in take-out quantities. How many ribs, how many pounds of beef do you want; a half-pint or pint of beans? You are given a tray and a styrofoam plate; the food is in paper and plastic containers, ready to take home, so you dump the food on the styrofoam plate and sort it out, then collect plastic-ware from dispensers to eat it with. Want water? No tap water available, only house-branded bottled water at $1 ea.

That might be tolerated if the food were outstanding, but it's not. I had pork ribs, sliced brisket, bbq beans and cole slaw. None were memorable. The meat is served without bbq sauce; sauce is in bottles on the tables. I found the regular sauce bland, flavorless. The ribs and brisket were dry, flavor was OK, nothing special. By dry, I mean not juicy. Good ribs are juicy; the meat tends to fall off the bone when picked up. These ribs didn't meet that standard. Beans were bland; cole slaw was OK.

If you need a BBQ fix but can't get to Dickey's in Las Cruces or over to Texas, CCS might suffice until you can..

1  Thank WeirdHarold

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Wow! We just happened to pick this place from our GPS Restaurant page. And what a treat! George was the first to great us as we walked in. He has a dynamite smile and awesome personality! What a great ambassador! We had sausage, beef ribs, pork ribs and beef. The pork ribs were by far the very best! But the sausage was great too. And, the jalapeno beans were the bomb! YUMMY! Here's what we thought.

The ribs have a dry rub that is thick and crunchy. The meat falls off the bone and is so tender your tongue could eat it! It is properly smoked and is still juicy. What a finger licking treat!

The sausage has kind of a sweet and spicy taste. Our daughter suggested there might be cinnamon or something of that nature in the sausage. Either way, it was a treat too!

It was just a great experience and I want to make sure everyone knows!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We happened in to this place and found some great BBQ. They had so many great things to choose from. We had beef tri tip, keilbasa, boneless pork ribs, beans, cole slaw, jalapeño cornbread, and cookies. The only thing that wasn't great were the cookies. The man and woman working there were so friendly and helpful. We want a Can't Stop Smokin' where we live!

1  Thank TexasTravelGirl48
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We enjoyed all of their food. The jalapinto beans were a hit, as well as the jalapeño corn bread. The chicken ribs were awesome.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is above average 'cue for the Southwest, but really good for New Mexico. The pork carnitas are unusual for a joint like this and taste great. This location in Alamogordo is a satellite for the flagship store in Ruidoso.