“Charming upscale restaurant”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Charming upscale restaurant”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

We were in town for just one night and visited Stella Vita due to the reviews on Tripadvisor. It is a very nice restaurant with upscale, modern big-city feel to the dining room. There was pleasant classical music playing throughout the meal. It was mostly empty as we were there just before closing (9 pm) on a Saturday night.

The menu had a good and interesting range of choices, but ultimately a rather short list of choices. I think this is the kitchen knowing its limitations - better a few things well than a lot of things only mediocre.

The food was pretty good. All in all an unexpected restaurant experience in Alamogordo.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank TravellerPGH

Tiburon, California
“Hard to believe this is the same restaurant others have reviewed”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

For whatever reason my experience of this restaurant was very different from others. I was there on a Saturday night, just before 8 PM and the place was largely deserted with little atmosphere.

The soup (mushroom) was excellent but the steak was mediocre at best; lacking in flavor and chewy (not in a positive way). I'm baffled as to how restaurants can serve such poor steak, it appears to be a trend recently. A few days later I grilled a steak - purchased from Costco - at home, excellent; tender and flavorful. If I can manage a good steak I don't understand why it appears to be beyond a professional.

I'm not sure why it is identified as an Italian restaurant. There didn't appear to be more than a couple of Italian style dishes on the menu, the focus appeared to be various cuts of steak.

One think to be aware of, on my visit (August 2nd) they have no license to serve alcohol. The hostess said the previous license was granted to the mother and she was in the process of transferring it to her daughter.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank TiburonTony
Stephentown, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely option in Alamogordo”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Enjoyed this restaurant. My waiter Brandon was personable and knowledgable about the menu.
The crab cakes were delicious with the Asian salad. Chefs pasta special of shrimp artichokes and feta was ok. Pasta was al dente but very monochromatic white looking. Taste was good. Artichokes were left off by mistake but my waiter had the chef supply them later. Bread was fresh and ciabatta style. Caesar salad was fresh and crisp. More like a Parmesan dressing though and not a true Caesar . Plate could have been chilled for an extra nice touch. Courses were well paced.
A nice option in Alamogordo for dining. Usually the have fresh fish but not tonight. Would try it again.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Scrubuggy
Southwest
“What a wonderful restaurant!”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

What a pleasant surprise. A really class spot in downtown Alamogordo, but casual enough for everyone to enjoy. Everything was perfect. They have done a wonderful job decorating one of the lovely old downtown buildings. It's simple chic - it could be a bistro in Miami Beach or San Francisco. But fortunately, it’s in our little town of Alamogordo. You need to know where you are going. No garish sign, just an understated entrance with printed menu and the daily specials. Inside, the greeting is warm, friendly and professional. Our waitress really knew the menu. Service was perfect and not fussy.

Now for the food. Every plate was lovely. First, there was tasty bread plus olive oil and vinegar. The Crab cakes were the best I’ve eaten, piping hot and attractively plated with a delicious fine slaw. I would have been happy with that alone. The summer pasta was flawless - if anything issue, it was just too much food. The sandwich my friend had looked great too. I wish I had tried the desserts, but just couldn’t eat another bite. From what I saw, they looked delicious. I can’t tell you what a treat this place was. Prices are a little high for Alamogordo, but so is the quality. I was very impressed.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank nmsouthwest
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Hard to Find, But Worth the Effort”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had stopped for the night in Alamogordo, read the TA reviews for Stella Vita and decided to gice it a try for a mid-week dinner. We arrived at the address and had to get out of the car and walk around the old shopping area before we actually found the restaurant. The sign is very small and is turned sideways making it difficult to see from the street.
We walked in shortly after they opened at 5PM and no other guests entered until we were almost done eating an hour later. The atmosphere inside was dark and decor was minimal with a table set with flowers in the middle of the restaurant.
We had the soup of the day (butternut squash) and ordered the shrimp scampi for our entree. Both were excellent. Service was well paced.

• Visited April 2014