“Don't drive past this motel!!”
Review of White Sands Motel

White Sands Motel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Alamogordo
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Spotlessly clean, comfortable, safe accommodations in a picturesque setting. The owners bend over backwards to accommodate your needs. Fridge, microwave, TV and beds were first-rate. Continental breakfast is offered in the morning in the lobby. You’ll think you’re on Route 66 in the 50’s. Excellent location, price and amenities make this a must stay location!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a front room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderingwindsorite

Reviewed May 23, 2011

One night stopover after visiting White Sands. Great little motel, very clean, has all the amenities you could want. Stayed on the back side and sat outside for view of mountains and no noise. We were very pleased and were looking for a bargain. This is truly a bargain. Left too early for the continental breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for discounts: senior or AAA.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Clean, new mattresses, fresh paint, and they have upgraded what needs upgrading. Very friendly and helpful staff. Continental breakfast available in the office each morning. Located at the south end of town, which is convenient to White Sands National Monument. Only con is that there is no swimming pool. Alamogordo is very hot in the summer and if I was staying more than 1 or 2 nights during hot weather I would probably go to a corporate hotel/motel chain. If swimming facilities aren’t a concern, then this is the place to stay in Alamogordo.

Room Tip: Ask for an east or south facing room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We did not want to pay a lot of money for a one night stay and saw that this place was rated # 1, so we gave it a try. The outside is freshly painted in bright yellow with blue doors. Very welcoming. It is an old fashioned motel that reminded me of the places we used to stay on family vacations when I was a child in the 60's. The owners are as nice as they can be. The rooms are very clean. We were in a room with one bed (which was small, but fine for a night), but the owner suggested we move to the back for a view with mountains and the full moon that would come up that night. That room was bigger and away from the main road. Breakfast is simple, packaged pastries and cold cereal, but that is all we needed. I highly reccomend this place. A great value. I would love to find more mom & pop places like this on our travels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks at the mountains
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We were really looking forward to this one night stop on our roadtrip. The owner made his first impressions during the e-mail conversations during the reservations. We were welcomed by his wife and installed ourselves in a very clean and comfortable room with the nicest view of the ridges in the east. We then met the owner at a local establishment and had a really nice evening talking cars, travelling and life.

This is exactly how we would like motels to be. It is the absolute opposite to the unfriendly large chain motels.

All the best from the two Lofberg brothers from Sweden!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2011

White Sands motel is simple, family-friendly, and inexpensive. People don't come to Alamogordo for fine dining & fancy expensive hotels-they come to enjoy the wonderful White Sands National monument or pass through on their way back to TX after skiing (we did both). Our family suite for six worked quite well for us-the bathroom is a bit small, but our shower was full sized, with extra towel racks, which came in handy since all of us had sand everywhere after our fun day sledding the dunes. Our unit did not have a bathtub, but my kids are ages 8-13, so that wasn't an issue. Our unit had a small fridge (fine for our picnic food/freezer packs), a small microwave, a small table, and three chairs in the front area, a closet, a TV/dresser on the side, and a queen bed. The bathroom is in the middle, then the second bedroom is in the back, with two double beds, a small desk/chair, and a closet, but no door between the rooms (not a problem for us, just a comment). Breakfast is a choice of a few cold cereals, bananas, orange juice, coffee, milk, and packaged danishes-our kids were happy with it, but my husband & I had leftover yogurt, boiled eggs, & muffins from our food stash. Since we paid $79/night for our suite (for 6 people!) we weren't expecting a fancy hot breakfast.
The staff was quite gracious to us and lent us two more sleds for White Sands. The kids enjoyed the porch swing & playing outside in the rock garden area. There were several brochures about the area and a helpful bulletin board about white sands activities. Beds were fine, and we all slept well. We will stay here again when we come through Alamogordo.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I'm generally the last person to stay in a Motel (especially when travelling with my family) usually because the cleanliness, style, and patronage are beyond my level of tolerance. That said, after I read the positive reviews here I thought I'd give the White Sands Motel a try ... after all, there isn't much to choose from in Alamogordo anyway.

Well, I was not let down in any way. This Motel, from the price-point, to furnishings, to cleanliness, to front desk manager and cleaning staff, is simply excellent. I should also mention the obvious draw of a Motel ... being able to park right in front of your room door.

I'm sure I will stay here again if the current standards are maintained. It's no Grand Hyatt, but for what it is and where it is, it's awesome.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family