“White Sands is a Blast!”

White Sands National Monument
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Alamogordo
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors to this endless waterless sea can enjoy driving, hiking, visiting a museum and sledding down the huge dunes.
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My experience at White Sands was unforgettable! I had so much fun sliding down the dunes! After buying some saucers in the gift shop, we went out to explore. It took a while to get the hang of it, but after a while sliding down the dunes was easy. We got some awesome pictures of me and my brother having a great time! We went backwards and sideways over and over. He even wiped out a couple times. There are also plenty of other things to do besides sledding. We hiked the Dune Life Nature Trail, which was very pretty and easy to follow. After spending a while in the dunes, you start to lose your perception because everything is so bright white! White Sands was so beautiful and fun! I hope to come back someday!

There are newer reviews for White Sands National Monument

Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband and I traveled to New Mexico for Thanksgiving weekend. On our list of sights to see was the White Sands National Monument. I have to say that it was a sight to see! There was some snow on the ground, which was the only thing whiter that the sand. I was surprised to see that the sand was hard and fairly easy to walk on, especially walking up the dunes. You can rent plastic sled (a round disc really) to slide down the dunes, which are available at the gift shop. There are also a few large picnic areas. The areas accomodate several picnics and are near dunes so you can go sledding near your picnic area.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

A great place to trek out into seemingly endless dunes, get lost in a surreal landscape, and to bask in serenity. Nice college students may offer a sled to play on the slopes, but there's a vast expanse of sand to enjoy some fun with others, or to simply bask in the solitude.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Definitely a great place to visit. Nearly 300 Square miles of sand dunes and alkali flats make this a place to remember. You can buy plastic discs in the gift shop and use them to slide down the dunes. Remember to take water because there is no water, except for purchase in the gift shop. Definitely take your camera for the great photo opportunities you will have here.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We have been here twice and found it just as amazing the second time as the first. So many superlatives have already been written about White Sands National Monument there is no need for more words.

The best advice I can give you is this, “Just go.”